Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Chittesh's Journey to 3 A*s at A-Level Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, I have made this my blog to track my progress - in terms of my A-levels, which I am going to start from September. I am going to take the following A-levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics / Physics. The last option depends on my GCSE results and my school.

First of all, I took part in the 'Grow your grades' competition to actually share my progress, techniques, skills with others and also to collaborate with others - but obviously, I didn't do any of that - I was just lazy and remained lazy. Now, I'm going to change (I say this everytime - but this time I'm gone crazy and serious).

I am aiming for all A*'s in the 3 A-levels I take (or 4). I wouldn't mind an A in Economics/Physics or the fourth A-level. My lowest grades that I would like are probably: A* A* A or A* A* A B.

Here are a list of the GCSEs I've taken and what I think I got in them:
    • GCSE Maths (Completed - A*)
    • GCSE Further Maths (A*)
    • GCSE English Language (C)
    • GCSE English Literature (C)
    • GCSE Physics (A)
    • GCSE Chemistry (B)
    • GCSE Biology (A)
    • GCSE RE (C/B)
    • GCSE Computer Science (B)
    • GCSE Graphics (D/E)
    • GCSE Geography (C/B)
    Lowest: 2 A*s, 2 As, 2 Bs, 4 Cs and 1 E.
    Highest: 2 A*s, 2 As, 4 Bs, 2 Cs and 1 E.

What I actually got: A^, 5 A*s, 3 As, 1 B and a D in Graphics lol.

In terms of my A-levels, here are the exam Boards for each A-level that I'm taking:
    • A-level Maths - Edexcel
    • A-level Further Maths - Edexcel
    • A-level Economics - I don't know yet
    • A-level Physics - I don't know yet
    Here is some information regarding my A-levels:

I am doing linear A-levels (Maths and Further Maths are exceptions). This means that for my other A-level options (Economics/Physics or both) - I will be doing the exams in Year 12 but they won't actually count towards my final grade. I will be doing the same exams again in Year 13 alongside with my A2 exams and the results for those exams will contribute to my actual grade.

I may be lucky to get 2 chances for Economics/Physics, but I feel it's harder to cram AS and A2 in 1 year. But, who knows?

Some information about me is, I love maths - it is my favourite subject. I took GCSE Maths in Year 10 and I got an A*. Because of this, I got the opportunity to learn AS-level Maths and take Further Maths GCSE Level 2 (course) in Year 11. However, I didn't revise and try hard - even though Maths is my favourite subject. Laziness took over me and I didn't do that good in the exams.

However, now I'm changing. It's time to prove my potential and show my hard work. It's time to show that I am the best ( not that I am, but I want to 'try to be' - it's just motivational).

Thanks for reading my thread, I assure you that I will update this thread everyday with something new and that includes: What subjects I revised (& how long for), if I made/developed a revision spreadsheet, done a past paper/marked it (& percentage/grade) etc.

Here are the links to my posts in this thread - if you are specifically interested in any parts.

July 2016

ReputationRep:
    I am going to start updating this blog from tomorrow.
    I am concentrating on the following modules:

A-level Maths (C2)
    A-level Further Maths (FP1)

I'm finding FP1 relatively easy - Chapter 1 and I'm enjoying it tbh.
    I have additional support on weekends where my brother can help me (he's done Maths & Further Maths A-level) and I am hoping to finish both of these modules before summer and average at least 90+ UMS in both subjects when doing past papers.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck my homie g. Use student room for anything you are stuck on, honestly people on here helped me out loads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnypdot)
    Good luck my homie g. Use student room for anything you are stuck on, honestly people on here helped me out loads.
    Thanks donnie, obviously - I use TSR all day when I need help. There is too much support here, but I guess I won't need a lot until the end of the summer because I'm gonna smash it bro!!! I'm finding it easy lol might need 1-2 posts per chapter tbh in terms of help.

ReputationRep:
    Post 1 - 13/07/2016:

Progess - Today:
    Extremely lazy today. Been out and messed around when I came back for a few hours. Downloaded fifa 16 (... i'm addicted to anything) and played it for 2 hours. Going to delete it next week - I promise.
    Done 30 minutes of Further Maths (FP1 - Chapter 1 Argand Diagrams).
    Tasks for tomorrow:
    Finish the last parts of Chapter 3 of C2 and start (and finish) Chapter 4 as well.
    Finish Chapter 1 of FP1.

If I have any spare time - read over the Binomial Expansion (Chapter 5) or read it all.

Reflection:
    I don't know why but today I felt awesome lol. Currently, I am finding Chapter 1 of FP1 so easy (well relatively easy) and I feel clever lmao. There are some people who find it hard and I use that as a motivation (selfish? ). Even though it is the easiest chapter, I just get excited and happy when I find something easy lol. Anyway, my brother helped me today as well so I'm EXTREMELY happy.

I just can't wait to go further in FP1 and finish it - want to get at least 85 UMS in my first past paper!

ReputationRep:
    Post 2 - 14/07/2016:

Progess - Today:
    Same old stuff, lazy asf today. Literally messed around the whole day. Went absolutely crazy because fifa 16 servers are down and tried to play on it for 6 hours but it is not working lol. Going to delete it tomorrow if the issue is not solved - better as I'll be studying more.
    Done 45 minutes of Further Maths (FP1 - Chapter 1 Argand Diagrams and Cubic & Quartic Equations).
    I've nearly finished Chapter 1 of FP1. I was meant to do 3 chapters today and I couldn't even finish the 1/4 I had left from yesterday -_-.

Tasks for tomorrow:
    Finish the last parts of Chapter 3 of C2 and start (and finish) Chapter 4 as well.
    Finish Chapter 1 of FP1.
    Read over the Binomial Expansion (Chapter 5) or read it all.

Reflection:
    Extremely pissed off at FIFA and my lack of work ethic. Spent 6 hours just playing fifa waiting for them to resolve the issue and done no work. Tomorrow, no matter what happens, I'm going to finish all my tasks.

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to get 3 a stars lol, if you do that bad in GCSEs even without any revision there is no way in hell that you will get 3 a stars. A stars are awarded to exceptional students which clearly you aren't. I've done my a levels now so I'm speaking from experience and trust me you're aren't the chap who gets three a stars, neither am I. Stop messing around with this **** and enjoy your holiday you pleb.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you appreciate my honesty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KinggBubba)
    You're not going to get 3 a stars lol, if you do that bad in GCSEs even without any revision there is no way in hell that you will get 3 a stars. A stars are awarded to exceptional students which clearly you aren't. I've done my a levels now so I'm speaking from experience and trust me you're aren't the chap who gets three a stars, neither am I. Stop messing around with this **** and enjoy your holiday you pleb.
    Savage, but quite true. OP, we mean no disrespect/hate towards u but our point it to set ur goals realistically.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao @ this. If you can get A*s in GCSE maths and further maths then it's not that hard to get A*s in A Level maths and further maths, no matter your other GCSE results. He also didn't do GCSE economics so you can't predict how he'll do at A level. Don't be a prick just because you 'aren't the chap who gets three a stars'.

ReputationRep:
    I would disagree with some of the above. You clearly have excellent potential for maths. Keep up the hard work ethic and you could achieve at least 2a* in maths and FM. For your third A*, just put in the same amount of effort, when you don't understand ask. If you work consistently throughout you'll do well! Just don't pack in all your revision weeks before your exam! I speak from personal experience. Any qns feel free to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshC98)
    Lmao @ this. If you can get A*s in GCSE maths and further maths then it's not that hard to get A*s in A Level maths and further maths, no matter your other GCSE results. He also didn't do GCSE economics so you can't predict how he'll do at A level. Don't be a prick just because you 'aren't the chap who gets three a stars'.
    I don't know if you've done ur a levels but it certainly sounds like you haven't. They are Very hard and a massive step up from GCSE. I'm not being a prick, I'm 99% sure I got 3 As in my A levels at least. Also economics is almost solely essay writing so English is very important. Realistic goals are far better then overreaching ones.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you've done ur a levels but it certainly sounds like you haven't. They are Very hard and a massive step up from GCSE. I'm not being a prick, I'm 99% sure I got 3 As in my A levels at least. Also economics is almost solely essay writing so English is very important. Realistic goals are far better then overreaching ones.
    I've literally just finished my A Levels in maths, further maths and economics. My GCSEs weren't great but I'm pretty confident I've got A*s in both maths and further maths, and an A in economics. And from studying economics, I can say that it is not at all solely essay writing, and the essays you do write are structured entirely differently to the ones you write in English. My point is, in the A levels he spoke about doing at least, it is entirely possible he could get 3 A*s, even with those GCSE results. Hard work goes a long way.

ReputationRep:
    no I dont believe that is true, (although it will vary from person to person). I think when people make 'realistic' goals they dont aim for the best they could possibly achieve hence dont achieve it. And I also believe it is realistic for the average person to achieve easy A* at a level if they so choose to work hard enough/efficiently.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to argue with you. All I'm going to say is let's see, you pleb.
    I don't know how intelligent you are, and you don't know the same about me. At the end of the day, it isn't about if I get it or not - if I tried my best, I'll be happy. I think if I do, then I will definitely get 2 A*s at minimum (hopefully).

(Original post by lyamlim97)
    Savage, but quite true. OP, we mean no disrespect/hate towards u but our point it to set ur goals realistically.
    I've said that to others, once. I said that to my friend and he somehow beat everyone expect me but that's because I had already done my GCSE Maths. I understand that was GCSE - this is A-level, but there is a chance. Again, let's just see.

(Original post by JoshC98)
    It's fine, thanks Josh. I don't think that's the case, Economics might be my downside. Maths and Further Maths won't have any problems, I'll be revising too much to not get an A* lol. I've started FP1 and it's quite good - only getting questions wrong at the very end of the chapter (I find them hard lol). Just keep following my blog buddy, I hope to make you interested in my progress .

Btw, did you also do Maths and Further Maths at A-level?

(Original post by longsightdon)
    I would disagree with some of the above. You clearly have excellent potential for maths. Keep up the hard work ethic and you could achieve at least 2a* in maths and FM. For your third A*, just put in the same amount of effort, when you don't understand ask. If you work consistently throughout you'll do well! Just don't pack in all your revision weeks before your exam! I speak from personal experience. Any qns feel free to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks , did you do any of the 3 A-levels that I am thinking to take?
    I know I should get 2 As minimum, it's just those requirements (180 UMS average over C3 and C4 and 270 UMS average over 3 A2 modules for Further Maths) which I don't like.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished Chapter 1 of FP1 lol.
    Fkin hell, I am quite dumb at solving complex numbers - never understood that, but this was just on another level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)

Thanks , did you do any of the 3 A-levels that I am thinking to take?
    I know I should get 2 As minimum, it's just those requirements (180 UMS average over C3 and C4 and 270 UMS average over 3 A2 modules for Further Maths) which I don't like.
    Out of your options I only take maths. I'm on track for an A/A* not sure atm. But it took about week and a bit of past papers to get myself to a consistent A* level. I put the minimum amount of work into maths throughout the year so if ure already studying c2 now during the summer there's no reason why an A* in maths isn't possible. If anything because you do further maths and you will be good at FM, an A* in normal maths should be pips tbh. Furthermore u clearly have an excellent work ethic so an A* in maths should be easily obtainable for you. Further I reckon ull do well, u like maths. Just keep up the hard work dude!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Out of your options I only take maths. I'm on track for an A/A* not sure atm. But it took about week and a bit of past papers to get myself to a consistent A* level. I put the minimum amount of work into maths throughout the year so if ure already studying c2 now during the summer there's no reason why an A* in maths isn't possible. If anything because you do further maths and you will be good at FM, an A* in normal maths should be pips tbh. Furthermore u clearly have an excellent work ethic so an A* in maths should be easily obtainable for you. Further I reckon ull do well, u like maths. Just keep up the hard work dude!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks man, I 'used to' have the worst work ethic in my school lol. Now, I am slowly improving. My work ethic is still crap, you'll see when I blog about today lol. But, it's improving and I'm slowly doing work. I'm just incredibly fast at learning etc. that's why it looks like I'm putting a lot of effort in. If I start putting a lot of effort anytime soon, I'll finish C1, C2 and FP1 by the end of this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    Thanks man, I 'used to' have the worst work ethic in my school lol. Now, I am slowly improving. My work ethic is still crap, you'll see when I blog about today lol. But, it's improving and I'm slowly doing work. I'm just incredibly fast at learning etc. that's why it looks like I'm putting a lot of effort in. If I start putting a lot of effort anytime soon, I'll finish C1, C2 and FP1 by the end of this summer.
    Yeah keep working on the work ethic. Only during my A2 study leave did I really get real work ethic. Not too late for you tho! You have 2 years to work on it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah keep working on the work ethic. Only during my A2 study leave did I really get real work ethic. Not too late for you tho! You have 2 years to work on it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah. The good thing is I'm going to study the subjects I enjoy and I'm really good at - so I'm just going to be focused and happy!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.