Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've just finished my 3rd year of medical school and have a slightly longer summer this year as I'm doing my Bsc next year! I've been relaxing and enjoying my summer, but just wondered if there was anything anyone could recommend slightly medically related that I could do? Not looking for big research projects etc just writing for a medical blog/website - something like that? Just to have done something other than sit around all summer, whilst still not giving away the last long summer I'll probably have :P

Thanks for all your help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pon1602)
    So I've just finished my 3rd year of medical school and have a slightly longer summer this year as I'm doing my Bsc next year! I've been relaxing and enjoying my summer, but just wondered if there was anything anyone could recommend slightly medically related that I could do? Not looking for big research projects etc just writing for a medical blog/website - something like that? Just to have done something other than sit around all summer, whilst still not giving away the last long summer I'll probably have :P

The stereotype which is attributed to us is "work hard, play hard". That is to say, you need to play once in a while too. You've just said it's the last long summer you'll ever have. Go outside and frolic. If you really want something relevant to read, I suggest The House of God or http://gomerblog.com/

ReputationRep:

Not sure what you're looking for exactly but if you want to do something because you're bored /not to waste your summer you could consider volunteering some where once a week or something? Maybe a league of friends in your local hospital or a charity shop?

If you want something more medicine focused but flexible, a few of my friends get casual jobs as medical note summarisers for their GPs just by dropping in and asking. Usually really flexible hours and good pay.

I'm not sure how you'd get into medical blogging or writing..I think the bmj offer a med journalism internship for med students but you have to apply in advance and it's quite competitive so maybe something to consider for next year. Alternatively start your own blog

Good luck whatever you decide to do and enjoy your summer! I'm a third year too and enjoying doing nothing if I'm honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hey there! We have blogs written by current Medicine and Dentistry students, as well as doctors on our website www.themedicportal.com!

You can view them by visiting our blogs page! If you think you might be interested in that then go ahead and contact us.

We really enjoy reading students' blogs, and it gives you a fun opportunity to make your mark on the internet!

Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Update some wikipedia articles or something.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.