Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have applied to go to University of Huddersfield to study the mPharm course and if I get the grade I will hopefully start in September. I was wondering about the first year of the course like:
    -What kind of content is involved like major topic areas?
    -Is there any books which is needed for the course?
    -How did you study on this course?
    -Is there anything we need to know before going on to the course?
    -How did you go through the DBS and Health Check?
    and one more question for personal interest
    -What grade did you get in A-Levels to get into the course?
    Anybodies help is appreciated even if you're not studying at Huddersfield and any information about the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year would be great.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have just finished my second year doing the MPharm at Huddersfield so should hopefully be able to answer all your questions!The outline of the modules is all provided on the website :https://www.hud.ac.uk/courses/full-t...armacy-mpharm/ In terms of books I wouldnt buy any before you start the course as some you may find more helpful than others and all are available either in the library as a hard copy or online text. If you see your using particular books lots when you start uni then perhaps you might want to buy them then ( id buy second hand off amazon theyre a lot cheaper)You should receive a letter regarding the DBS and health check before you start the course. Unfortunately you hav e to pay for the DBS check and any injections you may need but all should be explained.I personally didnt get the Alevels required, but as Huddersfield was my top choice and I performed well at interview they gave me a place. Huddersfield is a great university and some part of the course are hard, but if you have a god work ethic and motivation im sure you would be fine. I would also strongly encourage you to join huddersfield pharmacy society as it enables you to get to know ther years who can help you and also as a bit of social time away from your studies. I am going to be the president for 206/2017 so will be doing a talk for the first years in the first week. Hope to see you there and feel free to ask any more questions and ill try and answer them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katvic25)
    Hi I have just finished my second year doing the MPharm at Huddersfield so should hopefully be able to answer all your questions!The outline of the modules is all provided on the website :https://www.hud.ac.uk/courses/full-t...armacy-mpharm/ In terms of books I wouldnt buy any before you start the course as some you may find more helpful than others and all are available either in the library as a hard copy or online text. If you see your using particular books lots when you start uni then perhaps you might want to buy them then ( id buy second hand off amazon theyre a lot cheaper)You should receive a letter regarding the DBS and health check before you start the course. Unfortunately you hav e to pay for the DBS check and any injections you may need but all should be explained.I personally didnt get the Alevels required, but as Huddersfield was my top choice and I performed well at interview they gave me a place. Huddersfield is a great university and some part of the course are hard, but if you have a god work ethic and motivation im sure you would be fine. I would also strongly encourage you to join huddersfield pharmacy society as it enables you to get to know ther years who can help you and also as a bit of social time away from your studies. I am going to be the president for 206/2017 so will be doing a talk for the first years in the first week. Hope to see you there and feel free to ask any more questions and ill try and answer them
    Thank you so much for replying.

I have seen the course content on the website before but to me who don't really know much about Pharmacy right now just seems a bit vague.

Do you know how much the DBS Check and injection cost?

Haha I'm a bit worried I might not get the grades because I found Maths really hard this year so I'm not sure if I have achieved a B overall but for my other two subject I am pretty confident I have achieved an A and a B.

The pharmacy society seems like a really good idea would love to see how the older years found the course and I'll be able to ask them question if I ever needed to.

Yes hopefully I will get in and see you there. It'll be great to meet you

ReputationRep:
    Hi Im not quite sure how much the DBS check is around £30 mark I think.

In terms of the modules once youve started you will have an introductory lecture for each and id advice to look at the module handbooks on unilearn as this helps give a better idea.

good luck for results day !

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the information it has been very helpful

Thanks, hopefully I'll get the grades to study at Huddersfield

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have just finished second year MPharm at Huddersfield so can hopefully answer all your questions!

I would advise don't buy any books before you start as you can access them either online or in the library and then the ones you frequently use or like you can then buy (I'd buy second hand off Amazon )

The DBS and health check are done in the first week of uni ,you will be told how much the DBS is and what day and time your slot is and what to bring and you should get a letter regarding health checks and what vaccinations you may need.

As for A level results I did not personally meet the requirements but was still given a place due to performing well at the interview combined with the grades I achieved.

If you are hard working and get all your work done on time it is a great university and town to study in as there is plenty to. I would also strongly advise joining the pharmacy society (I am president next year) as you get to know older years who can help if your struggling and also take part in social events.

Hope this helps and I wouldn't stress as you can take it all your stride when you start in September ! Best of luck with results and any more feel free to ask !

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.