Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opinions on this Tweet about LEAVE voters? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My mum's researcher friend just shared this

https://twitter.com/in_psych/status/752561825934348288

I voted and campaigned for Remain, but I think it's weird :lolwut: Seems to imply their opinions are less valid. The person who wrote that seems to be working in MH too?

ReputationRep:
    Epidemiology is such nonsense to take seriously in and of itself.

ReputationRep:
    Correlation does not imply causation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Correlation does not imply causation
    Well, that's what he seems to be implying. @TorpidPhil yeah, I also get the impression he was trying to make a political point as well as just remarking on how certain factors Leave voters across the UK have in common might affect mental health (which are going to be spurious anyway when compared to specific factors across any of those regions like unemployment).

Literally every doctor I know has been heavily critical of BREXIT, and unfortunately often showed the kind of nastiness (calling Leave voters thick, etc) I don't want to be associated with as a Remainer. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millieconfused)
    Well, that's what he seems to be implying. @TorpidPhil yeah, I also get the impression he was trying to make a political point as well as just remarking on how certain factors Leave voters across the UK have in common might affect mental health (which are going to be spurious anyway when compared to specific factors across any of those regions like unemployment).

Literally every doctor I know has been heavily critical of BREXIT, and unfortunately often showed the kind of nastiness (calling Leave voters thick, etc) I don't want to be associated with as a Remainer. :nothing:
    Don't you think it's more likely that people in areas with lower investment, job opportunities, less social mobility than relatively prosperous areas of England such as London are more likely to be depressed and therefore may need anti-depressants? Hence the Leave vote.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think it's more likely that people in areas with lower investment, job opportunities, less social mobility than relatively prosperous areas of England such as London are more likely to be depressed and therefore may need anti-depressants? Hence the Leave vote.
    I agree completely (as in my reply to Phil), it just seems odd to bring up the vote at all TBH. :yep: Obviously, they already do studies which prove links between less social mobility in a region and depression, etc. Those studies are a lot more on point (and actually useful - the Leave vote is not objectively a bad thing) than tying it to political decisions, of all things, which are made across the entire country. It smacks of the whole Guardian "paint all Leavers with the same brush" media slant recently

ReputationRep:
    I agree completely (as in my reply to Phil), it just seems odd to bring up the vote at all TBH. :yep: Obviously, they already do studies which prove links between less social mobility in a region and depression, etc. Those studies are a lot more on point (and actually useful - the Leave vote is not objectively a bad thing) than tying it to political decisions, of all things, which are made across the entire country. It smacks of the whole Guardian "paint all Leavers with the same brush" media slant recently
    Yeah it definatly seems like an attempted attack on the intellectual capacity of Leave voters en masse disguised as 'research.' You mentioned about being around a lot of doctors, are you a medical student?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it definatly seems like an attempted attack on the intellectual capacity of Leave voters en masse disguised as 'research.' You mentioned about being around a lot of doctors, are you a medical student?
    I've actually just graduated but I'm thinking of doing GEM, and my mum works as a biology researcher so I know a lot of doctors through her
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I've actually just graduated but I'm thinking of doing GEM, and my mum works as a biology researcher so I know a lot of doctors through her
    Leave voters were more likely to live in poorer areas, have less education and poor job prospects. Given the myriad of personal issues these factors can cause would it not make sense some voters were more likely to suffer from depression? Or it could just be a coincidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Leave voters were more likely to live in poorer areas, have less education and poor job prospects. Given the myriad of personal issues these factors can cause would it not make sense some voters were more likely to suffer from depression? Or it could just be a coincidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree, but, as I said to Redhead above, I don't see why they pointed out the correlation at all, seeing as issues like less education are already well known to cause depression. The political aspect is irrelevant. Maybe one of the medical students on here can shed some light on this.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a load of *******s to me.

People want to link anti-depressants with everything. Murder, psycopathy and now....voting leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also leave voters are morel likely to live in an area of low immigration. :indiff:

https://theconversation.com/hard-evi...r-brexit-62138

I'm on anti-depressants and I voted Remain. Although I can see why someone like me would have voted to leave. Apart from coming from a family of graduates, both parents are graduates and have had middle class jobs like research scientist and accountancy I fit the leave voter bill - precarious employment in **** warehouse jobs, not much hope of things improving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Epidemiology is such nonsense to take seriously in and of itself.
    What?

I'll take their advice over some homeopath.

We all live longer because of epidemiology you nitwit. It works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    What?

I'll take their advice over some homeopath.

We all live longer because of epidemiology you nitwit. It works.
    Rubbish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.