Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

I'm thinking of applying to one of the courses titled above (so the 'Independent Games Production' and 'Games Development' courses) as of 2017 but felt that I didn't have enough info about the course itself and how people felt the course was so I've come here hoping someone can help me!

I was hoping you could tell me what you think/thought of the course, what was good, what wasn't so good, would you recommend it etc. as well as give me some information about the courses themselves. What did you study? What sorts of things did you look in-depth at? Did it all feel relevant?

I was also curious as to how much knowledge you had at the beginning of the course and whether that felt necessary or more of a bonus on your part? For example, I currently have no coding knowledge and haven't much in the way of a portfolio that could showcase my abilities (part of the reason I'm applying in 2017 so I can build up the skills I need). Would you say I'm at a disadvantage or would struggle to do well with the courses as a result of this? Or does the course account for this and you spend time learning some programming/coding basics together with the expectation to learn more on the side of the rest of your studies?

Any info you can give me would really help, thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

I've sent in my application in for 'Games Development' course. I have some knowledge of Game Maker and Unity as there is plenty out there to learn from like youtube is a great place to look.

We might end up meeting in Sept of I get an offer haha!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Lt Bunny Hop)
    Hey there!

I'm thinking of applying to one of the courses titled above (so the 'Independent Games Production' and 'Games Development' courses) as of 2017 but felt that I didn't have enough info about the course itself and how people felt the course was so I've come here hoping someone can help me!

I was hoping you could tell me what you think/thought of the course, what was good, what wasn't so good, would you recommend it etc. as well as give me some information about the courses themselves. What did you study? What sorts of things did you look in-depth at? Did it all feel relevant?

I was also curious as to how much knowledge you had at the beginning of the course and whether that felt necessary or more of a bonus on your part? For example, I currently have no coding knowledge and haven't much in the way of a portfolio that could showcase my abilities (part of the reason I'm applying in 2017 so I can build up the skills I need). Would you say I'm at a disadvantage or would struggle to do well with the courses as a result of this? Or does the course account for this and you spend time learning some programming/coding basics together with the expectation to learn more on the side of the rest of your studies?

Any info you can give me would really help, thanks in advance!
    Hi Lt Bunny Hop

Great to see you are interested in coming to study at Bucks!

Hopefully I can help with a couple of your questions.

Our BSc (Hons) Games Development course has received a 92% overall student satisfaction scores in the National Student Survey (NSS) - this information can be found in the red box at the bottom of the course page on our website. The BA (Hons) Independent Games Development course has been running for two years, so we haven't received NSS scores for this course yet.

In terms of your knowledge at the beginning, there isn't a prerequisite for students to know how to program - the academics assume that students have no knowledge of coding and will teach this from scratch. The BSc (Hons) Games Development is around 70% programming, and the BA (Hons) Independent Games Production is around 25%.

Have you come to one of our open days yet? These are a great opportunity to meet academics and current students, and find out more about the courses. We also run computing and games workshops during the event so you can experience some of the things you'll be learning on the course.

I'd also recommend having a look on the course Facebook pages where you can see examples of student work.

Games Development Facebook page
    Independent Games Production Facebook page

I hope this helps!

Do let me know if you have any more questions, and good luck with your application!

Bucks New University

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been offered any placed for BSc (Hons) Games Development yet?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.