Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how necessary is it for me to be in the country for results day? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i've booked a flight back to the UK shortly before results day, but i'm considering extending my trip because i'm fairly sure (having read unofficial mark schemes and worked out rough UMS totals for all of my subjects) that i have made my firm offer. there's obviously always a chance that i haven't, and i'd want to be in the UK to be able to ring up universities, negotiate, or find another place on the spot if i needed to, but is it possible to do all that from abroad? and how would i receive my results if i'm away on results day? is it too risky? obviously i can check track from anywhere in the world, so i'm wondering if it's worth coming back early just for the one day

ReputationRep:
    The mighty SHALL fall!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    You can check track anywhere with an Internet connection but if you're calling Universities about clearing from abroad, bear in mind it can get expensive when you consider roaming charges and hold times.

Make sure you're also able to contact your college in the event of needing a remark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    You can check track anywhere with an Internet connection but if you're calling Universities about clearing from abroad with hold times, bear in mind it can get very expensive.
    Make sure you're also able to contact your college in the event of needing a remark.
    In that case, it's probably best to just be in the UK then.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    In that case, it's probably best to just be in the UK then.
    Your results will probably be emailed to you if you're abroad by your sixth form and you will get your University decision 8:00am on results day.

Full track won't open till 15:00 and I would suggest you take the time to consider your choice carefully if you do decide to use Clearing.

Depending on what your results day situation is, one day is not a long time at all.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    i've booked a flight back to the UK shortly before results day, but i'm considering extending my trip because i'm fairly sure (having read unofficial mark schemes and worked out rough UMS totals for all of my subjects) that i have made my firm offer. there's obviously always a chance that i haven't, and i'd want to be in the UK to be able to ring up universities, negotiate, or find another place on the spot if i needed to, but is it possible to do all that from abroad? and how would i receive my results if i'm away on results day? is it too risky? obviously i can check track from anywhere in the world, so i'm wondering if it's worth coming back early just for the one day
    It depends. If your Plan B is to go through Clearing then it's probably best to stay in the UK. But another plan would be to take a gap year and reapply with grades in hand to courses/universities you've actually had a chance to properly consider.

In that case there's no need to hurry back from your trip abroad...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It depends. If your Plan B is to go through Clearing then it's probably best to stay in the UK. But another plan would be to take a gap year and reapply with grades in hand to courses/universities you've actually had a chance to properly consider.

In that case there's no need to hurry back from your trip abroad...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's true. My (rather unrealistic) plan C would have been to give my firm university a call and beg for a place if I've missed my offer by a really small amount, and provide them with UMS details and stuff, but given how unlikely it is that they'll accept someone they've already rejected, I don't think it'd be worth it. I really don't want to use clearing, either.

Having said that, I seriously don't think I've missed my offer anyway so I don't know if I should take the risk :/ Back to square one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.