6jack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,I was just wondering if anyone has completed a civil engineering apprenticeship and whether or not they went to uni after? And whether or not it was easy or hard to get into uni?I was also curious whether or not it's the best option... And has anyone completed an apprenticeship at either WSP or Mott MacDonald?
StructFound
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
I work at WSP and although I didn't do an apprenticeship I work with several apprentices and former apprentices. Not all apprentices go on to do degrees but this largely depends on the preferences of the individual. As an apprentice you work through the BTEC and HNC alongside your work in the company. By the end of this people usually have an idea of whether they want to continue to do the degree or not. If they do they can be put forward for extra modules at college to prepare them. Hope this is a bit of help.
6jack
Rep:
?
Hi
Thanks for the help, you have helped! I actually haven't heard back from WSP yet, but I do feel like it is a good route, what are your thoughts on apprenticeships?
StructFound
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think apprenticeships can be very good- it all depends on your personality really. Many apprentices I've met were fed up with the classroom when they left school so an apprenticeship was ideal. It is a slower route than just doing a-levels full time then going straight onto a degree. However, an apprenticeship means you can get actual hands on experience 4 days a week and you are working on actual projects which will get built! Plus you are earning money which is obviously advantageous. Also, if you have trouble with your college homework you can just ask one of the engineers you work with!

Good luck with your applications
6jack
Rep:
?
Yeah they do sound good, I'm just sick of leading something to sit an exam in it. And TBH if I go to uni with it, say I finish within 10 years, I'll be 26 with 10 years experience and no debt.
Saba XD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 6jack)
xxx
I don't have any advice for you but I would like to say that good luck in your future endeavours.
6jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saba XD)
I don't have any advice for you but I would like to say that good luck in your future endeavours.
Thanks!
civileng6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it depends on personal situation and desires..

I would always recommend to go to uni and complete your degree, it opens far more opportunities than apprenticeships if you get your foot in the door shortly after completion of your degree, salary differences are also substantial... to make up for the loss in practical experience I would recommend carefully selecting an institution, look for one which offers placements.. my honours degree included a 12 week industrial placement which was massively beneficial..

If you really are fed up of the classroom, exams etc.. then an apprenticeship would definitely be the way forward however be aware that with a HNC you may only ever be a technician and there is no obligation for any company to continue you through to your honours degree, which you need to call yourself an engineer..

One last thing would be if you do go down the uni route, make sure your institution and/or its civil eng course is accredited by the ICE (Institution of Civil Engineers)
6jack
Rep:
?
(Original post by civileng6)
I think it depends on personal situation and desires..

I would always recommend to go to uni and complete your degree, it opens far more opportunities than apprenticeships if you get your foot in the door shortly after completion of your degree, salary differences are also substantial... to make up for the loss in practical experience I would recommend carefully selecting an institution, look for one which offers placements.. my honours degree included a 12 week industrial placement which was massively beneficial..

If you really are fed up of the classroom, exams etc.. then an apprenticeship would definitely be the way forward however be aware that with a HNC you may only ever be a technician and there is no obligation for any company to continue you through to your honours degree, which you need to call yourself an engineer..

One last thing would be if you do go down the uni route, make sure your institution and/or its civil eng course is accredited by the ICE (Institution of Civil Engineers)
Yeah I understand that, I just want a change. My dad works in engineering, and the majority of people he's spoke to it about say it's a good route to go down (apprenticeship). And that they'd have probably done it if they knew more about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (24)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
16.67%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
16.67%

Watched Threads