Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How many hours of study is required in a week?
    Has anyone here done maths at open university, what's it like?

- You friendly neighbourhood@( ̄- ̄)@

ReputationRep:
    I plan to finish within 3-4 years and am good at maths

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've just finished my Maths degree with the OU. There's loads of answers for questions like this on the OU website, I recommend having a good look around it.

General guidelines are 8 hours per week for 30 point courses, 16 for 60 points. I found that I did less for level 1 courses, about that for level 2 and way more for level 3.

If you are good at Maths then the level 1 courses should be very straightforward for you, but to complete in 3-4 years means pretty much full-time study.

I found the teaching materials to be generally excellent, I also had face-to-face tutorials as well as online tutorials, although I believe the way tutorials are done is changing.

You do need to be self-motivated and good at managing your time. Almost all the time you will be reading and learning on your own. I really enjoyed my degree although it was hard work.

Please feel free to ask questions!

ReputationRep:
    I completed MST224 and MST124 on a physics degree. The maths modules are the best modules I completed because they have excellent webcasts, tutorials, recorded videos, textbooks... I could go on and on, you get a lot for your money. Maths department are on their A game.

ReputationRep:
    hi i have almost finished MST124 and M140 and I'm starting MST125 and DB123 in october. I am working towards a BSc Mathematics. I am enjoying it and I am quite confident in Mathematics so the first year was not too stressful for me and also since I did 60 credits. I want to continue the rest of my course full time

ReputationRep:
    I am considering doing my masters there because of the flexibility it offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    I am considering doing my masters there because of the flexibility it offers.
    hi did you also do the undergraduate there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hn123)
    hi did you also do the undergraduate there?
    No sorry, I should have said.

A friend of mine did English there (undergrad) and always said how good it was. The masters appeals as I will be working.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.