Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pokemon GO but with real animals instead Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about a game like Pokemon go, but instead you "capture" real animals. Here's an example:
    1. I see a cat
    2. I take a photo of it
    3. I battle it. When it's sufficiently wounded I can attempt to "capture" it with a pokeball.
    4. If the cat is captured, it's still not usable until 5 other users "verify" the photograph of my capture.
    General rules:
    1. Can make "money" in the game by verifying other people's captures. Money is used to buy special items like pokeballs or guns.
    2. Can only capture an animal of a particular type once per km2
    3. At the start you have no Pokemon. So you have to use your "human" player. If the human player dies, you lose the game. So you should only use the human player against weak animals like rats and cats.
    4. Attack can be turn based. So if I'm fighting a cat, I can use "kick". If the cat survives it can use "scratch". Goes on until someone wins/loses.
    5. To make the game interesting, only allow duplicate Pokemon for common species e.g. Cats, dogs and rats. Don't allow any player to have a dozen alligators etc. as that will ruin the game.
    6. Battles between humans are possible. Rules can be worked out e.g. whether one player can attempt to run away.
    7. Animals get XP + promotions e.g. attack strength etc.
    8. Animals have different attacks and special abilities
    9. There are terrains. So you cannot (for example) use a cat to attack a fish as the cat will die in the water. However, you can capture a frog (on land) first, and THEN use the frog to catch a fish.
    There's tons of ideas I have around this. I have dev skills, but defo not a 1 man job. Also I am not at all experienced with mobile dev. For copyright reasons maybe it cannot be "pokemon", but "animal battles" or something.

ReputationRep:
    nah, the closest that we'll get is some kind of virtual fishing game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cipi)
    Thinking about a game like Pokemon go, but instead you "capture" real animals. Here's an example:
    1. I see a cat
    2. I take a photo of it
    3. I battle it. When it's sufficiently wounded I can attempt to "capture" it with a pokeball.
    4. If the cat is captured, it's still not usable until 5 other users "verify" the photograph of my capture.
    General rules:
    1. Can make "money" in the game by verifying other people's captures. Money is used to buy special items like pokeballs or guns.
    2. Can only capture an animal of a particular type once per km2
    3. At the start you have no Pokemon. So you have to use your "human" player. If the human player dies, you lose the game. So you should only use the human player against weak animals like rats and cats.
    4. Attack can be turn based. So if I'm fighting a cat, I can use "kick". If the cat survives it can use "scratch". Goes on until someone wins/loses.
    5. To make the game interesting, only allow duplicate Pokemon for common species e.g. Cats, dogs and rats. Don't allow any player to have a dozen alligators etc. as that will ruin the game.
    6. Battles between humans are possible. Rules can be worked out e.g. whether one player can attempt to run away.
    7. Animals get XP + promotions e.g. attack strength etc.
    8. Animals have different attacks and special abilities
    9. There are terrains. So you cannot (for example) use a cat to attack a fish as the cat will die in the water. However, you can capture a frog (on land) first, and THEN use the frog to catch a fish.
    There's tons of ideas I have around this. I have dev skills, but defo not a 1 man job. Also I am not at all experienced with mobile dev. For copyright reasons maybe it cannot be "pokemon", but "animal battles" or something.

DIE! MONSTER! PSYCHOPATH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)

DIE! MONSTER! PSYCHOPATH!
    No, no - the cat doesn't get hurt. The fight is against a virtual cat. The real cat is needed because the game is meant to be realistic - see the photograph verify part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cipi)
    No, no - the cat doesn't get hurt. The fight is against a virtual cat. The real cat is needed because the game is meant to be realistic - see the photograph verify part.
    It doesn't matter, it's still sick. I would kill you if I saw you chasing my cat and taking a photo of it just so you can 'battle' it via some silly game. Just play pokemon go ffs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.