Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I've got a part time job in a restaurant and I hate it. It is my first job and whenever I tell people about it they just say 'welcome to the real world' or 'all jobs are like that'

The owner of the restaurant is really rude. They are very short tempered and get very angry if you don't do something quick enough. They have tried to embarrass me in front of customers many times and always talk down to me. I come out crying every shift and I feel really anxious before going in.

I am also quite introverted and don't feel like I have really fit in with the rest of the staff. They are all really friendly but I just don't feel like I'm part of the team.

The problem I have is I live in a rural area so finding other work is difficult and I cannot drive as I'm learning and so cannot get many places but I need money for driving lessons/insurance for my car.

I've been working their two months and I thought if I stuck at it it would get better but it hasn't and I really don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    All jobs are not like that. The best advice I can come up with is that you should use that experience as motivation for finding and pursuing another career you'd enjoy. At least you get to know yourself a little better and learn what you don't want to do.

It might also help if you tried to get to know one or two of your co-workers better. They'd understand what you're going through with your boss, and I'm sure your days would be easier if you could now and then chat with a friend.

ReputationRep:
    They sounds like such a**holes! Sounds like you're gonna have to stick at it though if you really need the money, but continue looking for a different job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloewj)
    Okay so I've got a part time job in a restaurant and I hate it. It is my first job and whenever I tell people about it they just say 'welcome to the real world' or 'all jobs are like that'

The owner of the restaurant is really rude. They are very short tempered and get very angry if you don't do something quick enough. They have tried to embarrass me in front of customers many times and always talk down to me. I come out crying every shift and I feel really anxious before going in.

I am also quite introverted and don't feel like I have really fit in with the rest of the staff. They are all really friendly but I just don't feel like I'm part of the team.

The problem I have is I live in a rural area so finding other work is difficult and I cannot drive as I'm learning and so cannot get many places but I need money for driving lessons/insurance for my car.

I've been working their two months and I thought if I stuck at it it would get better but it hasn't and I really don't know what to do.
    Hmm. If you complain you may be sacked, so grin & bare it but get satisfaction from knowing soon you'll be telling them you're leaving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not all jobs are like that
    I'd say stick it out at the job, but look for another job

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Lol you think that's bad. Try working at Mc Donald's or KFC for the summer. Then you'll know what hell is like. Working for £4.70 an hour and being harassed and abused constantly by customers/ management, and doing 10-12-16- hour shifts. My advice would to be look at supermarkets, they're usually more professional, pay is good and work isn't as hectic. Avoid budget ones obviously..(common sense).

ReputationRep:

If you're crying at the end of every shift it sounds like you need to find a different job. I'm sorry you're being treated badly. As other people said, I'd stick with it if you need the money, but be on the look out for other jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to hand my cv out again and keep my fingers crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.