Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I finished uni almost 2 months ago and have been unemployed since. It's really making me feel like a waste of air tbh.

I received my results and got a 2:1 in Business and Finance. Now, I wish to get into Accounting and have been applying for grad jobs as a trainee accountant/accounts assistant, but I've only been called and seen by one company. This week, I had a 2nd interview with said company and received a call today from the recruiter saying that she doesn't think I could have done anything more, it's just that they're now looking for someone with a bit more experience.

I realise that I need to get some relevant practical experience, but how? When all these jobs specify that previous experience is a must and won't even give me a chance.

I guess my question is what's the best way for me to approach a local accountancy firm to ask them if I could perhaps volunteer/shadow in order to gain some valuable experience that way. I feel like this is my only option at this point.

I was hoping to secure a job with a firm that would provide study support financially, but my hopes have been shattered as of yet and starting the process all over again will take ages, so I've just purchased a course to study towards paper f5 of the ACCA because I don't want to be doing nothing with my time.

I'm just feeling that 'post uni job hunt depression'. If anyone acc reads this, then thanks and feel free to share your situation.

ReputationRep:
    For how long have you been applying for these type of roles?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh9)
    I finished uni almost 2 months ago and have been unemployed since. It's really making me feel like a waste of air tbh.

I received my results and got a 2:1 in Business and Finance. Now, I wish to get into Accounting and have been applying for grad jobs as a trainee accountant/accounts assistant, but I've only been called and seen by one company. This week, I had a 2nd interview with said company and received a call today from the recruiter saying that she doesn't think I could have done anything more, it's just that they're now looking for someone with a bit more experience.

I realise that I need to get some relevant practical experience, but how? When all these jobs specify that previous experience is a must and won't even give me a chance.

I guess my question is what's the best way for me to approach a local accountancy firm to ask them if I could perhaps volunteer/shadow in order to gain some valuable experience that way. I feel like this is my only option at this point.

I was hoping to secure a job with a firm that would provide study support financially, but my hopes have been shattered as of yet and starting the process all over again will take ages, so I've just purchased a course to study towards paper f5 of the ACCA because I don't want to be doing nothing with my time.

I'm just feeling that 'post uni job hunt depression'. If anyone acc reads this, then thanks and feel free to share your situation.
    I would advise approaching a local accountancy firm and submitting your CV asking for work experience for 12-18 months like you said in your OP. If you can afford it try to learn ACCA online too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I would advise approaching a local accountancy firm and submitting your CV asking for work experience for 12-18 months like you said in your OP. If you can afford it try to learn ACCA online too.
    Work experience for that length of time is highly unlikely, mainly because it is so long and because of the impact it has on the working environment. If someone had space and workload for that period of time, they would be recruiting someone into a contract role. Shorter placements are much more likely.

I'd register with temp agencies and see if you can get some work experience in an administrative role, that would help to build up some knowledge/experience.

Plus keep applying. This is a really quiet time and not a lot of jobs tend to be around at this time where people are off over the summer. The job market tends to pick up in September, when people return from summer holidays and make decisions to hire people based on business need. Patience is often needed when applying for jobs more than anything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Work experience for that length of time is highly unlikely, mainly because it is so long and because of the impact it has on the working environment. If someone had space and workload for that period of time, they would be recruiting someone into a contract role. Shorter placements are much more likely.

I'd register with temp agencies and see if you can get some work experience in an administrative role, that would help to build up some knowledge/experience.

Plus keep applying. This is a really quiet time and not a lot of jobs tend to be around at this time where people are off over the summer. The job market tends to pick up in September, when people return from summer holidays and make decisions to hire people based on business need. Patience is often needed when applying for jobs more than anything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most accountancy vacancies I've seen ask for that length of time, maybe not all at one firm but op will need a lot of experience
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Two months is a short holiday, its nothing, so start being realistic.
    Just use some common sense and apply with a letter and CV. If you dont know how to construct a covering letter or cv theres plenty of info online, the library or careers office. It is just basic research.

You have had a 2nd interview that is great, so you are nearly there, even if you dont get this one.

Relevant work experience shouldnt just be at accountants. Think a bit wider. Do some volunteer work.

Imo they will only offer 2-12 weeks, but that cna be extended if you are any good. You are better off with paying work.
    Linkedin or local professional associations are always worth a try.

Dont be so dramatic. Sounds more like reality has dawned on you rather than depression, which is an altogether more serious matter.

You just need to become a bit determined instead of caving in as soon as things become difficult. Toughen up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Most accountancy vacancies I've seen ask for that length of time, maybe not all at one firm but op will need a lot of experience
    A lot of a formal graduate programmes with the larger accountancy firms don't expect significant accountancy experience. There will be opportunities out there for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pfff two months is nothing you'll get something eventually. I was unemployed for 8 months when I graduated, it's pretty common*

ReputationRep:
    Why on Earth did you not get any experience when at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh9)

I have finally secured a paid internship, 10 months after finishing my Masters degree so I understand your frustrations. In my case it wasn't lack of experience, it was my struggle at interview. I've been volunteering with a charity in their offices since last summer, so that has helped me not feel useless and its given me some valuable workplace based experience. I got that simply by emailing the charity in question asking if they needed any help, I was invited to a very informal interview where I was asked 'how much time can you give' and we agreed when I would start. Prior that I was able to get some experience directly relevant to what I want to do. Firstly through my university, who offered a guarenteed short placement with a local council to anyone who took a particular module. Then following on from that I approached a few more local councils saying 'I've just done this this and this and I have these skills, would you be able to offer me a placement' and had one yes.

Then it was a case of presenting my enthusiasm for the organistions I was applying to on paper along with how I met the job criteria and following this up at interview which I finally cracked on Wednesday.

Seeing as you haven't left uni all that recently, your uni careers service may still be able to help you- its likely possibly even remotely if you are too far away now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.