Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

I'll be starting university this September, and I need to find a laptop to take with me soon! The thing is though, I have no idea where to start looking!

It doesn't have to be anything fancy as I don't need it for gaming, movies or anything like that. All I really need it for is browsing the Internet, organising my work, making documents, powerpoints etc. However, it does need to be quite durable as it will have to last me all 3 years of uni, and beyond (ideally). I would also prefer it if it had mouse buttons, rather than having to tap the touchpad.

Does anyone have any suggestions on decent laptops for uni which cost less than £500? I'm a bit lost here

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hp intel celeron 250

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I remember buying a £400 toshiba laptop in 2012 before uni started. In the 1st month the webcam stopped working. The replacement piece only lasted another 12 months before it gave me serious problems. I invested in a macbook for the rest of my degree and its still working good as new.

If i was you IF POSSIBLE stay clear from low end windows laptops, they wont you last you more than 15 months tops*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Hi guys!

I'll be starting university this September, and I need to find a laptop to take with me soon! The thing is though, I have no idea where to start looking!

It doesn't have to be anything fancy as I don't need it for gaming, movies or anything like that. All I really need it for is browsing the Internet, organising my work, making documents, powerpoints etc. However, it does need to be quite durable as it will have to last me all 3 years of uni, and beyond (ideally). I would also prefer it if it had mouse buttons, rather than having to tap the touchpad.

Does anyone have any suggestions on decent laptops for uni which cost less than £500? I'm a bit lost here

Thanks!
    Honestly most laptops under 500 will meet your needs if you're just writing word documents etc. I would recommend you think about the features you want and use that to narrow it down. E.g. what screen size do you want, if you're carrying it around all day then weight and battery life, a good keyboard, a good screen for watching videos etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Honestly most laptops under 500 will meet your needs if you're just writing word documents etc. I would recommend you think about the features you want and use that to narrow it down. E.g. what screen size do you want, if you're carrying it around all day then weight and battery life, a good keyboard, a good screen for watching videos etc etc.
    Thank you, I'll do that!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'll do that!
    also if you're using it a lot you can buy a mouse for barely anything which might help with the touchpad requirement

ReputationRep:
    also if you're using it a lot you can buy a mouse for barely anything which might help with the touchpad requirement
    That's a good idea, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi samb1234 ! Sorry to hassle you, but you seem to know what you're talking about, unlike me!

Do you think something like this would be suitable for a uni student? Would 4GB memory be enough, or would 8GB be better?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi samb1234 ! Sorry to hassle you, but you seem to know what you're talking about, unlike me!

Do you think something like this would be suitable for a uni student? Would 4GB memory be enough, or would 8GB be better?

Thanks!
    Its not a bad option, but i feel like you shoukd be able to get something a bit better for a similar price. Its very hard to say how much ram you need, its going ti vary massively depending on your usage habits. Some laptops can be upgraded to have more ram easily but on others its not as easy to do so if yourr not comfortable doing that you're better off paying slightly more to get one with more. If you need any help let me know, ill do my best to help out

ReputationRep:
    Its not a bad option, but i feel like you shoukd be able to get something a bit better for a similar price. Its very hard to say how much ram you need, its going ti vary massively depending on your usage habits. Some laptops can be upgraded to have more ram easily but on others its not as easy to do so if yourr not comfortable doing that you're better off paying slightly more to get one with more. If you need any help let me know, ill do my best to help out
    Thank you for the response! I agree, we're just having a look at the moment to get an idea of what I might need

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    Also i forgot my current laptop has ram stats, so if you give me a realistic scenario of how it will be used (e.g. facebook twitter streaming music via youtube 5 tabs open for research and a word document) then i can give you a rough idea of how much ram that will use

ReputationRep:
    Also i forgot my current laptop has ram stats, so if you give me a realistic scenario of how it will be used (e.g. facebook twitter streaming music via youtube 5 tabs open for research and a word document) then i can give you a rough idea of how much ram that will use
    Hmm, well at the moment I've got 6 tabs open in Google Chrome, one playing music on YouTube, one is messages on Facebook, TSR and the others are various websites which I'm not really using. I usually have a Word document or two open at the same time, if that helps?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well at the moment I've got 6 tabs open in Google Chrome, one playing music on YouTube, one is messages on Facebook, TSR and the others are various websites which I'm not really using. I usually have a Word document or two open at the same time, if that helps?
    with skype discord and anti virus as well running that is using about 4.6gb ram on my pc. Bear in mind my laptop is a gaming one so is designed with performance in mind so it may well not be the most optimised thing in the world (it has 16gb ram so doesn't have to manage it as aggressively) but I would probably suggest 4gb might be tight

ReputationRep:
    Get 8 GBs of RAM, especially if you use chrome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Get 8 GBs of RAM, especially if you use chrome
    agreed, chrome uses a tonne of ram

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.