Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    last year I applied via UCAS to several different uni's with my personal statement.

This year I want to apply(for clearing)using a personal statement that heavily borrows from my old one, will this be seen as plagiarism since I'm using a different UCAS account I just created and not doing it through my school this time?

cheers,
    Tom.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it will flag up, and even though it's your own work it may cause problems. I'd suggest trying to rephrase everything possible in order to prevent similarities flagging.

ReputationRep:
    My thinking on this would be that you can't plagiarise your own work, you'd only be copying your own original piece so it's not as if you are copying someone else's statement. I think you'd be fine.

ReputationRep:
    ok, thanks looks like I'll be rewriting everything just to be safe

ReputationRep:
    It may flag up your previous personal statement. This may be an issue, as we don't know whether UCAS takes the fact that you wrote it into account before letting the unis that you applied to know that you copied an x amount of your P.S. from another application.

I wouldn't risk it - take the summer to think about an even better way to start the personal statement off, and how to at least re-phrase or move around the sections that you wanna keep the same. You only get one shot a year at this, so I'd suggest doing it properly.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Tom_2465)
    Hi,
    last year I applied via UCAS to several different uni's with my personal statement.

This year I want to apply(for clearing)using a personal statement that heavily borrows from my old one, will this be seen as plagiarism since I'm using a different UCAS account I just created and not doing it through my school this time?

cheers,
    Tom.
    (Original post by Tom_2465)
    ok, thanks looks like I'll be rewriting everything just to be safe
    Sorry you've been given such inaccurate and uninformed answrs.

UCAS plagiarism detection has 2 stages. If the software flags a statement for similarly it is then looked at by a human. If the similarity is to a PS previously submitted by the same applicant then the human will not escalate any further. The PS will not be flagged to universities as plagiarised.

You are fine to reuse parts or all of your own PS.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Also FWIW rephrasing would not avoid the detection software. It's programmed to spot similarities INCLUDING rephrased content.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.