Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn’t my university understand? This was not mychoice, this was not my fault.
    I have just finished my first year at university, it was a difficultyear for me. Living with depression and anxiety is never easy, but thepressures of living away from home and studying a time intensive course madethis so much more difficult.
    Throughout the year I had problems with medication, thisincreased the intensity of my existing symptoms but also left me with sicknessand fatigue – this causing me to miss deadlines. My anxiety became increasinglyworse, I was afraid to leave my own room or spend time in any communal areas inmy flat as my flatmates weren’t friendly to me. I felt physically paralysed andthe thought of going in to a lecture, seminar or workshop sickened me, I wouldtry my best but even when I was able to get up and dressed I would be cryinguncontrollably, I was terrified and felt worse the more and more of sessions I missed.
    My tutor was aware of these problems and very supportive, I hadgiven him ‘not fit for work’ notes when I was prescribed time away to relax and‘might be fit for work’ notes which stated my workload should be decreased andaccounted for my continued absences. The worst part of this was I was trying myvery best, I so badly wanted to achieve and do well but I simply couldn’t.
    Since this year has finished I decided a new start in a newcourse, this would allow me to start again, and this course seemed more mystyle and I was excited to join. I met all the appropriate people, got all the signaturesrequired and completed all the paperwork and submitted into the university. Idecided rather than going into the second year, I wanted to give myself thebest shot of succeeding and applied to transfer to the first year.
    Weeks later my results of my completed first year camethrough, unsurprisingly I had failed modules. To me this was enviable, myillnesses had completely prevented me from succeeding. I honestly believe therewas a 0% chance of anyone in my position being able to pass. However I waslearning to stay positive and I thought since I was changing course, andstarting again from the first year this wouldn’t affect me. I was then told bythe university I wasn’t able to continue unless I resat coursework over thesummer. I explained I wasn’t wishing to continue but start again and explained everythingthat happened to me medically that year which rendered me unable to pass, itwas a long email which included a lot of personal information I find verydifficult to share. My emotional email was replied to with one sentence ‘Toconfirm you must resubmit work to continue at the university.’
    Having read the tasks set for resubmission I again feel Itwill be impossible for me to pass, my absence means I have little or no understandingon the subjects, how to do things and certain computer programmes I must use.
    At this moment I feel I am being punished for something I hadno control over, my mental health.
    I would really appreciate any advice or opinions on thematter – any comment would be appreciated.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by hopeee97)
    Why doesn’t my university understand? This was not mychoice, this was not my fault.
    I have just finished my first year at university, it was a difficultyear for me. Living with depression and anxiety is never easy, but thepressures of living away from home and studying a time intensive course madethis so much more difficult.
    Throughout the year I had problems with medication, thisincreased the intensity of my existing symptoms but also left me with sicknessand fatigue – this causing me to miss deadlines. My anxiety became increasinglyworse, I was afraid to leave my own room or spend time in any communal areas inmy flat as my flatmates weren’t friendly to me. I felt physically paralysed andthe thought of going in to a lecture, seminar or workshop sickened me, I wouldtry my best but even when I was able to get up and dressed I would be cryinguncontrollably, I was terrified and felt worse the more and more of sessions I missed.
    My tutor was aware of these problems and very supportive, I hadgiven him ‘not fit for work’ notes when I was prescribed time away to relax and‘might be fit for work’ notes which stated my workload should be decreased andaccounted for my continued absences. The worst part of this was I was trying myvery best, I so badly wanted to achieve and do well but I simply couldn’t.
    Since this year has finished I decided a new start in a newcourse, this would allow me to start again, and this course seemed more mystyle and I was excited to join. I met all the appropriate people, got all the signaturesrequired and completed all the paperwork and submitted into the university. Idecided rather than going into the second year, I wanted to give myself thebest shot of succeeding and applied to transfer to the first year.
    Weeks later my results of my completed first year camethrough, unsurprisingly I had failed modules. To me this was enviable, myillnesses had completely prevented me from succeeding. I honestly believe therewas a 0% chance of anyone in my position being able to pass. However I waslearning to stay positive and I thought since I was changing course, andstarting again from the first year this wouldn’t affect me. I was then told bythe university I wasn’t able to continue unless I resat coursework over thesummer. I explained I wasn’t wishing to continue but start again and explained everythingthat happened to me medically that year which rendered me unable to pass, itwas a long email which included a lot of personal information I find verydifficult to share. My emotional email was replied to with one sentence ‘Toconfirm you must resubmit work to continue at the university.’
    Having read the tasks set for resubmission I again feel Itwill be impossible for me to pass, my absence means I have little or no understandingon the subjects, how to do things and certain computer programmes I must use.
    At this moment I feel I am being punished for something I hadno control over, my mental health.
    I would really appreciate any advice or opinions on thematter – any comment would be appreciated.
    Have you spoken to student support and/or the extenuating circumstances people? Is it a whole new course you want to do?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    So my understanding is you are wanting to switch to a new course at the same university?

You need to informally talk to either:
    1. Your tutor.
    2. As Claire pointed out an advisor at the SU
    3. Get the support of either someone in the mental health team at the Uni.

Contact the Student Mental Health Adviser, Lindsay Pendleton via email at [email protected] .uk - Monday to Friday between the hours of either 8.30 am - 4.30 pm, or 9.00 am - 5.00 pm.

The Student Mental Health Adviser is based at:

Student Services Centre
    Ground Floor
    150 Mount Pleasant
    Liverpool
    L69 3GD

0151 794 2320.
    They can support you and see if theres an informal way to assist.

What strikes me is you need to ask your department why they are insisting on coursework/ resit. They may have good reason and wnat to know if you are now mentally able to cope with a degree?

If you cant do it informally, then you cna sumit a mitigating circumstances claim.

Get one of the above to assist you. Basically you need to make a statement detailing what happened, why you were affected and what you want. You then need as much evidence as you cna get. Independent and professional is good. Drs, counsellor etc.

The departments board needs some clarification as to why they wnat you to complete the course work. It may be for the reasons stated or it may be on the basis of letting you progress to year 2. Obviously if you are transferring course, then you wont need any credits. Someone needs to find out their reasons. It may have everything to do with them being satisfued uf they think you should be allowed to transfer.

The other aspect is that you could contact the course organiser for then one you seek to transfer to. They may waive any exam progress as you are starting in the first year or they may be the one who has set the requirement. You need to find that out. Ask the correct questions and things should become clear.

Obviously explain why its a bit impractical for you to do the coursework, although is it really and you can't self teach? They must know?

If this is either the new course or the old course or the Uni setting this criteria, then you can try appealing. When you get help from the SU advisor or mental health counsellor, then you will know the exact issue.

It may be whether you transfer or not is at their discretion. You can try making a complaint, but I cnat say either way because you need to know their explanation.

It may be your only choice is to get a new place through clearing. You need to try and resolve this asap.

Mitigating circumstances.
    https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/li...cop_assess.pdf

Appeals
    https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/student-...dures/appeals/
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Oh and on the mental helath angle I would adbise getting sorted that out 100% before restarting academic studies as you cna then do yourself justice and you wont potentially jeopardise funding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Oh and on the mental helath angle I would adbise getting sorted that out 100% before restarting academic studies as you cna then do yourself justice and you wont potentially jeopardise funding.
    Thankfully since this year of uni has finished, my medication is starting to work, my dose was recently increased and I'm feeling a lot better. I have also explained this to the university
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thankfully since this year of uni has finished, my medication is starting to work, my dose was recently increased and I'm feeling a lot better. I have also explained this to the university
    You need to talk to the people, get the information and follow the procedures I have indicated above.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.