Turn on thread page Beta

Views on Theresa May? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In chat because its just a casual chat.

She has a record of wanting to stop students from obtaining work visa in the UK. but i thought those are the kinds of expatriates we need?

she seems more hawkish than cameron. Dont really like her.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't do anything about immigration and came up with ridiculous policies like stopping students from getting work visas.

Couldn't do anything about legal highs and came up with the useless policy of just continually banning each one that comes up.

Couldn't do anything about the HRA, and so came up with the stupid plan of trying to replace it which was predicted to fail and then failed under Gove

Mediocre cabinet minister. Probably terrible Prime Mister.

ReputationRep:
    In my view very bad, she accurately described them as the nasty party. She also vowed to help the everyday person, it is worth looking at her voting record, she claims that she was going to help just take a look at her voting record

ReputationRep:
    in my view - aspergers

ReputationRep:
    She's from a very different generation in terms of her views to people like David Cameron who actually had surprisingly liberal and modern views on a lot of things. For instance, she voted against gay marriage, against same sex couples adopting children, she voted against bank reforms after the crash, against building affordable housing. Which may appeal a lot to people like my grandparents but are not views at all in keeping with the majority of those below the age of 60.

Her background is deeply religious which is not a problem in itself, but that someone demonstrably has that mental capacity to hold a firm and fixed belief in the face of uncertainty and lack of evidence - I don't think that's a mindset that sits well with the kind of intellectual, flexible thinking I personally think is desirable in somebody in charge of big decisions! I don't want a moralist going off a particular set of religious views to be imposing that on everyone else. Listen to her interview on Desert Island Discs and you'll find out how deeply she feels that way.

She also had a pretty draconian time as Home Secretary, I think her whole £35,000 thing or out was disgusting (honestly how many graduate starter jobs - and we're talking very good jobs here - have anything like that wage?) and she's caused a lot of problems for the education sector by indiscriminately clamping down in a very harsh way on foreign students, overlooking the great benefit the vast majority of them bring here in terms of money and following that in retaining expertise and highly educated people in this country. In my opinion both blinkered and also demonstrating some serious cold heartedness.

On the other hand I suppose she's less batty than Angela Leadsom and less anxiety-provoking than Michael Gove. I personally wish Cameron would have kept on, he's the most sensible out of the lot, but failing that I suppose I'd prefer Theresa May to the others.

All the people attempting to portray this as some kind of a win for women today really piss me off though. Lots of people tweeting crap about how 'girls should be inspired' all day... Theresa May is hardly setting benchmarks here, unless Margaret Thatcher was a fictional character. Moreover, she's completely unelected by the people - you can hardly claim victory for something and say women are being elected when she fundamentally wasn't. Just being a woman is not a redeeming feature for all the many bad things she brings along with her, and celebrating her election just 'because she is a woman' is simplistic and frankly irritating. She was chosen as leader by the conservative party presumably on stronger grounds than the fact she wears a bra.

ReputationRep:
    I had doubts about her but Im going to give her a chance.

Im just glad that David Cameron went. We needed a change, and he wasnt good at making that change.

I hope that Theresa May makes a successful Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    She just gave a very 'one nation' kind of speech that could have been delivered by a Labour PM in past times, it sounded like pure Blairism.

I don't want to disbelieve her or be cynical, but I felt doubt gripping me during the speech. Is today's pack of rapidly, almost deranged ultra-right wing Tory backbenchers going to allow her to run a genuinely concerned government?

Or was it just more cant, empty rhetoric designed to hide further austerity programmes targeted at the poor?

The latter seems most likely. Time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    At the very least, she seemed the safest out of the Tories that were running in the leadership election and her opening speech seemed to imply she at least acknowledged many of the major issues facing the country. May seems very smart and is trying to appeal to a broad range preventing any issues from sniping votes away from her. Whether she would actually achieve these changes remain to be seen and her record isn't amazingly encouraging on this but not bad enough to make me despair.*
    Then she made Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary. So my hope lasts little under two hours. Sign. I'm not sure what her reasoning was - mostly party politics I'd assume, can't imagine they aren't more qualified individuals - but it has removed any hope I had in her competence. That idiot representing us? A man who didn't believe in Leave, just wanted to oppose Cameron for his own ambitious then accidentally pushed our country off a cliff running away at the first sign of having to take responsibility who was so condescending to dismiss the concerns young people had about this colossal mess as "you're wrong" - that man gets rewarded for his incompetence? *
    If I wasn't already ashamed and embarrassed of Britain, then I severely would be by now. The country is a joke, the laughing stock of the world. Anyone who says they voted Leave to make Britain great again or along that line of nationalist malarkey is god damn delusional. This has been such an absolute embarrassment.*

ReputationRep:
    She's appointed Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary. Am I missing something? Why?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by seaholme)
    She's from a very different generation in terms of her views to people like David Cameron who actually had surprisingly liberal and modern views on a lot of things. For instance, she voted against gay marriage, against same sex couples adopting children...
    She didn't vote against gay marriage. She not only voted for it, but was in fact one of the leading proponents for it. Her record pre-2004 is shaky, but post-2004 she has done well in terms of advancing civil rights. She also apologised in 2010 for her early voting record in office.

She seems something similar to Hilary Clinton; difficult to trust but a competent politician nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    Totalitarian, anti-science, completely clueless, incompetent (as demonstrated by her Psychoactive Substances Act and the Snooper's Charter), a technophobe, an idiot, she shouldn't be running this country. Corrupt to the core, she has a habit of tampering with or trying to outright silence scientific discourse, and threatening the media.

She's also gotten off to a great start with lying to the public. If you look at her voting record, she's consistently voted for the opposite of everything she claims she wants to do now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    She just gave a very 'one nation' kind of speech that could have been delivered by a Labour PM in past times, it sounded like pure Blairism.

I don't want to disbelieve her or be cynical, but I felt doubt gripping me during the speech. Is today's pack of rapidly, almost deranged ultra-right wing Tory backbenchers going to allow her to run a genuinely concerned government?

Or was it just more cant, empty rhetoric designed to hide further austerity programmes targeted at the poor?

The latter seems most likely. Time will tell.
    If Ed Miliband had given the speech that she did today, the Tories and press would have slated him for being this left wing, rich hating, anti aspirational extremist.

As it is, those same people will lavish praise on May for it.

ReputationRep:
    May's first speech was incredible, did anyone else see it? She has quite aggressively seized the centre ground, her first speech could have been given by an incoming Labour Prime Minister. She is seizing the ground vacated by Labour and she has her tanks on their lawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    If Ed Miliband had given the speech that she did today, the Tories and press would have slated him for being this left wing, rich hating, anti aspirational extremist.

As it is, those same people will lavish praise on May for it.
    She is able to do it because the Labour Party is a shambolic mess and has completely vacated the centre ground, and even the centre left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everglow)
    She didn't vote against gay marriage. She not only voted for it, but was in fact one of the leading proponents for it. Her record pre-2004 is shaky, but post-2004 she has done well in terms of advancing civil rights. She also apologised in 2010 for her early voting record in office.

She seems something similar to Hilary Clinton; difficult to trust but a competent politician nonetheless.
    It was May who came up with the "nasty party" label for the Tories when they were in opposition in the early Blair years. She begged them to move to the centre ground; her political instincts are centrist

She also refused to extradite Gary McKinnon to the US, so it can't be claimed she is this anti-civil liberties monster. I have friends in the Home Office who say she is well-respected, that she's a good boss, highly intelligent and actually a pretty nice person

Labour is really in trouble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elitepower)
    The country is a joke, the laughing stock of the world.
    Who really believes that? I mean, outside of metropolitan lefty circles, who believes the United Kingdom is a joke?

ReputationRep:
    What's so bad about her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    She's appointed Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary. Am I missing something? Why?
    He's better kept busy than no postion to cause more mischief

As for TM she'll be good for GB, much better than Gove, Boris, Liam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeneziaDoge)
    Who really believes that? I mean, outside of metropolitan lefty circles, who believes the United Kingdom is a joke?
    Do you think the UK is respected right now, by its population or abroad? *
    Have you seen the statements coming out about reactions to Boris? No one wants to be represented by a Buffon. He is a English version of Berlusconi - and I say English since Scotland is heading out the door. None of these people warrant any respect. Its laughable how politics is now and May just threw ANY hope and unity she had from the public out the window. **

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeneziaDoge)
    It was May who came up with the "nasty party" label for the Tories when they were in opposition in the early Blair years. She begged them to move to the centre ground; her political instincts are centrist

She also refused to extradite Gary McKinnon to the US, so it can't be claimed she is this anti-civil liberties monster. I have friends in the Home Office who say she is well-respected, that she's a good boss, highly intelligent and actually a pretty nice person

Labour is really in trouble
    Did she just bow to public demands on McKinnon? There didn't seem to be any reluctance to do the American's bidding until pretty late in the day. Indeed, the government generally seem happy at all times to enforce the ghastly Blair agreement with the US, which is utterly one sided in their favour. I regard this as evidence that we are a client state of the US. Perhaps we should have a Referendum on that.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.