Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What has been the most enjoyable MMO that you've been part of? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Although you would only be commenting on this thread if you've played an MMO, I feel obliged to say that MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer Online.

I remember back in the day I played a Star Wars Galaxies? Its sadly no longer with us, but it was literally the best thing you could imagine being a Star Wars fan :ahee: There has been attempts to salvage it but I think they've been mostly unsuccessful.

What MMO's have you been part of? Do you feel part of a community when you join one or are you simply just 'playing a game'?

ReputationRep:
    FF XIV has been the most enjoyable for me.

As for the community, it's kinda crap, for the majority of the player-base it's a case of most people are simply just playing the game with added bonus of occasionally talking to people. Like most online communities it's got that gaming snobbery attached so it makes less experience players feel afraid of communicating with other people.

Sure you have RP servers, but they're very cliquey, same with FCs (Or guilds - You pick). Already left one and declined 3.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Awaits for someone to mention statics - Don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    FF XIV has been the most enjoyable for me.

As for the community, it's kinda crap, for the majority of the player-base it's a case of most people are simply just playing the game with added bonus of occasionally talking to people. Like most online communities it's got that gaming snobbery attached so it makes less experience players feel afraid of communicating with other people.

Sure you have RP servers, but they're very cliquey, same with FCs (Or guilds - You pick). Already left one and declined 3.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Awaits for someone to mention statics - Don't bother.
    I think the first time you enter an MMO you're a bit overwhelmed, at least that's how I felt! But agreed about the online snobbery, that is just how people are unfortunately I remember one guy helping me build a ship and it was a great feeling someone more experienced helping - MMOs need more people like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    I think the first time you enter an MMO you're a bit overwhelmed, at least that's how I felt! But agreed about the online snobbery, that is just how people are unfortunately I remember one guy helping me build a ship and it was a great feeling someone more experienced helping - MMOs need more people like that!
    Yeah newer players will always get overwhelmed, though, funny enough the latest new player I bumped into was active as anything (communication-wise), unless it was an alt.

Problem is the majority play it for the sake of completing it and all upcoming content. It's why I said don't bother mentioning statics (for fellow XIV players on here). Just a small group of supposed 'friends' aiming to experience through newer content... Only there's a string added, if there's a mechanic you don't understand as quick as anyone else then you're out. Most players don't really understand that building prog groups takes time, and it's something that doesn't happen overnight. Precisely why I don't bother with them. Just wait for a few patches to be released, then clear the content at a later date when everyone isn't crying about not being server first, or burning a few hours completing any given raid (kinda the fun part).

Just noticed I didn't mention Runescape. That was the first MMO I've played,has quite an easy community to join and engage with. Even considering at least 40% of the players consist of middle aged or prepubescent kids getting excited each time they screw over other players (luring, scamming, etc etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Yeah newer players will always get overwhelmed, though, funny enough the latest new player I bumped into was active as anything (communication-wise), unless it was an alt.

Problem is the majority play it for the sake of completing it and all upcoming content. It's why I said don't bother mentioning statics (for fellow XIV players on here). Just a small group of supposed 'friends' aiming to experience through newer content... Only there's a string added, if there's a mechanic you don't understand as quick as anyone else then you're out. Most players don't really understand that building prog groups takes time, and it's something that doesn't happen overnight. Precisely why I don't bother with them. Just wait for a few patches to be released, then clear the content at a later date when everyone isn't crying about not being server first, or burning a few hours completing any given raid (kinda the fun part).

Just noticed I didn't mention Runescape. That was the first MMO I've played,has quite an easy community to join and engage with. Even considering at least 40% of the players consist of middle aged or prepubescent kids getting excited each time they screw over other players (luring, scamming, etc etc).
    The other MMO that I've played is WoW and I had a similar experience of being overwhelmed in that Yeah I get what you mean. I think what puts me off is that you are essentially grinding over and over again just for some new gear and it just feels a bit redundant! You sound like an experienced MMO player

Also I think MMOs are for more hardcore players nowadays? Might be an unfair assumption, but casuals just don't feel like putting so many hours of effort into a game as it takes a long time to get the reward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    The other MMO that I've played is WoW and I had a similar experience of being overwhelmed in that Yeah I get what you mean. I think what puts me off is that you are essentially grinding over and over again just for some new gear and it just feels a bit redundant! You sound like an experienced MMO player

Also I think MMOs are for more hardcore players nowadays? Might be an unfair assumption, but casuals just don't feel like putting so many hours of effort into a game as it takes a long time to get the reward.
    It is redundant by the next patch anyway. Though raid-tier gear in a sense isn't really true grinding. Though you get relic items which is a tedious grind, players investing hours upon hours into getting em. Which are redundant by the next patch. Just depends whether you see glamour as end game or not. As for in general, just brings the question of what value does the player see in it. Some people like to be on top of all current content, then being able to focus on side quests, or 'obligatory' (I use this lightly) daily quests. Plus, depending on the game, some places give recognition to world first completion, and it gets the given FC (guild) a lot of recognition. Grinding in one way or another is just natural for most MMORPGs.

Personally, that's not my jazz. Time spent doing that, is time wasted which I could invest into playing other games, or more importantly; 'studying'. As for me being hardcore, I wouldn't say so.

I'd agree with this to an extent of getting just one single reward. It's mega tiring and almost certainly drop rates get increased. Be it an item, a mount, or whatever. But overall, I'd say the time invested into the game as a whole has no real trend between casual/hardcore, as there's a variety to hang players on nice piece of string. Be it the 'obligatory dailies, the side quests, the crafting, the sightseeing, or just helping other players complete a specific part of the game they struggle with (can be very satisfying, and funny).

ReputationRep:
    RUNESCAPE (2007-2012)

(will edit in more detail 1sec)

-Runescape, oh my my where do i start? I remember my first steps on runescape when I was in year 4 (8 years ago ), I literally had no idea. Absoloutely no idea, in fact I remember when I some how acquired a cape, I was in Lumbridge and another player wanted to be my bae. Then I remember fire making and leveling up damn I got so happy. My many accounts,many clans I joined, the friends that I made I miss all of that.

Anyways, I remember I got so good at Runescape (was best at my primary school ,and high school). Anyways I played so much runescape, its my most played game at nearly 3000 hours. So many memories I just can't. Oh how I got scammed a few times. Muted a lot, nearly got banned once (when I was young I liked to live dangerously.) I even once had a stalker on runescape (some gold digger).

Anyways at my peak in 2012 I was about level 106, started to get irritated with the game. Then left, only to come back to the atrocity that is "Evolution Of Combat", so I quit again after seeing the ridiculously low player count. Came back again for OS Runescape its great but with only 25k players it doesn't feel the same. RUnescape is not runescape if there is no competition for trees and stuff.

Anyways yeah time to cut this short, honestly I could actually write an EPQ on this. Infact I should have done EPQ on this. Runescape is the biggest enjoyable mmo its just so addictive, its so much more if you look past all the grinding. I have never been able to get into any other MMO.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.