Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I received offers from Leeds for Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies and also for Bristol - just Spanish (but I have the intention to switch to Spanish and Portuguese if I were to change my mind and go there instead). I made Leeds the firm and Bristol the insurance. It's been plaguing my mind for a while now on whether I've made the right decision.

First off, there seems to be so much talk of Bristol's overall reputation being higher than that of Leeds, just from talking to most people and not along the lines of tsr snobbery. However, Leeds has consistently been ranked higher than Bristol for Iberian languages. I'm not really sure whether to go with subject reputation or overall reputation and whilst my gut feeling was Leeds, many people have said I'd be much better suited to Bristol and they could see me there rather than in Leeds. It's come to the point where I'm not sure what I want anymore.

If anyone has some really objective advice as to how Bristol and Leeds are really seen comparatively then that'd be great. Or if any students from either uni could share their experiences of studying Spanish and/or Portuguese, that'd be really helpful. Thank you so much
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Bristol has a better general reputation than Leeds, no question. I wouldn't pay any attention to departmental rankings, they are meaningless (especially the Guardian's). That said, university prestige should only ever be a second consideration. The first is which course do you prefer? Have a look at then modules and year abroad options, which do you like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Bristol has a better general reputation than Leeds, no question. I wouldn't pay any attention to departmental rankings, they are meaningless (especially the Guardian's). That said, university prestige should only ever be a second consideration. The first is which course do you prefer? Have a look at then modules and year abroad options, which do you like?
    Despite that obvious difference, I feel that Leeds has more to offer in terms of resources and teaching across the university, something which Bristol has been under fire for recently. There are now 3 libraries - a new one completed last year - and, to slightly ignore your suggestion of not looking at departmental tables, the department consistently has much higher student satisfaction.

I haven't heard many people talk favourably of the Spanish department at Bristol and the student satisfaction reflects that - several threads on the student room have pretty much confirmed it. I don't want to use league tables as my primary source of evidence here but I feel it's hard to ignore the seeming dissatisfaction among Bristol students for the course. Basically, I'm leaning towards Leeds (as if you couldn't tell ) but just trying to keep a hand in on graduate prospects and being in a strong position in the job market. I would just like to know some people's more up to date personal experiences of studying Spanish at Bristol as most of the threads I looked at are not recent enough to judge it fairly nor are the student satisfaction scores alone.

Course wise - the Leeds course, as there are 2 periods abroad, a semester and a year. Again it just comes down to the perception of Leeds amongst recruiters; it's rising up the tables now and is actually higher than Bristol overall believe it or not but future employers won't even glance at the tables and just go with the established view that Bristol is always better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aerosmith)
    Despite that obvious difference, I feel that Leeds has more to offer in terms of resources and teaching across the university, something which Bristol has been under fire for recently. There are now 3 libraries - a new one completed last year - and, to slightly ignore your suggestion of not looking at departmental tables, the department consistently has much higher student satisfaction.

I haven't heard many people talk favourably of the Spanish department at Bristol and the student satisfaction reflects that - several threads on the student room have pretty much confirmed it. I don't want to use league tables as my primary source of evidence here but I feel it's hard to ignore the seeming dissatisfaction among Bristol students for the course. Basically, I'm leaning towards Leeds (as if you couldn't tell ) but just trying to keep a hand in on graduate prospects and being in a strong position in the job market. I would just like to know some people's more up to date personal experiences of studying Spanish at Bristol as most of the threads I looked at are not recent enough to judge it fairly nor are the student satisfaction scores alone.

Course wise - the Leeds course, as there are 2 periods abroad, a semester and a year. Again it just comes down to the perception of Leeds amongst recruiters; it's rising up the tables now and is actually higher than Bristol overall believe it or not but future employers won't even glance at the tables and just go with the established view that Bristol is always better
    Sounds like you already know you want to go to Leeds and its hardly a bad uni. Whent it comes to employment post uni, so much is down to the individual-getting work experience, putting together a good application and performing well at interview. In the majority of sectors the university name doesn't make the difference.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.