Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone else grown up without a dad? Has it affected you in anyway? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently 19 and have spent 16 years of my life without a dad (my parents divorced).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catholicgirl)
    I am currently 19 and have spent 16 years of my life without a dad (my parents divorced).
    My mum and dad divorced when I was 3 (I'm going to be 23 in October) haven't seen him since and don't plan on doing so

ReputationRep:
    I was brought up in care. Never met either of my parents. Both dead now.

I'm 18 and have lived without a dad for 7 years so I didn't really grow up without one. But, it didn't affect me in any way because my mum is awesome

(Original post by catholicgirl)
    Do you mean completely without a dad or just not living with you but seeing you quite infrequently?

ReputationRep:
    I've always known my dad, seen him often but intermittently (seen him constantly for a few months, then nothing for 6 months) but he's never been much of a dad. I find I do better when he's not around
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Mine died when I was 9, so maybe not quite what you mean but I guess it depends on the situation how much effect it has on people,it had a massive one on me.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, its annoying, my dad has contact with my two younger brothers but has made my life hell. it depends on your situation though if it will effect you or not.

My dad was in portugal for 15 years so I stayed without him and my mum always used to be away. Since I didn't have any siblings I grew up isolated most of the time. So it did affect me I have Schizoid personality disorder (well that's what doctor says anyway) but it doesn't bother me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I didn't grow up with my dad and tbh, I don't feel like I've missed out. My papa was like a dad to me and him and my gran brought me up brilliantly along with my mum. Not having a dad hasn't led to developing a distrust for men which can be quite common when you've grown up without a dad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.