Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I would just like to know the ins and outs of quantity surveying. How is the degree? What elements are difficult about it? Is it enjoyable? Also in terms of a long term future in the profession how a job prospects? Once I land a job will it be safe? And finally the best universities to study the degree? I've only been able to visit Salford as all others are relatively far away. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsRoger)
    Hi guys, I would just like to know the ins and outs of quantity surveying. How is the degree? What elements are difficult about it? Is it enjoyable? Also in terms of a long term future in the profession how a job prospects? Once I land a job will it be safe? And finally the best universities to study the degree? I've only been able to visit Salford as all others are relatively far away. Thanks
    Having undertook a construction management degree myself. I can say that first year and second year, that some of the modules are the same. The module that the majority of people found most challenging was law,procurement & contracts.*

It's quiet difficult to understand the contractual verbiage but soon becomes second nature.*

The role of a QS simply isn't about measuring and costs no more, they have to understand the contractual side to contracting and in doing so, a lot progress onto becoming project managers in charge of running a job. *

From a QS degree you can go into many construction related disciplines such as: Procurement, estimating, design management, construction management, project management, bid manager. *Too add you can work client side or for a main contractor.**

My degree was at LJMU and can actually say the course was fantastic, the staff there were really good. *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMG44)
    Having undertook a construction management degree myself. I can say that first year and second year, that some of the modules are the same. The module that the majority of people found most challenging was law,procurement & contracts.*

It's quiet difficult to understand the contractual verbiage but soon becomes second nature.*

The role of a QS simply isn't about measuring and costs no more, they have to understand the contractual side to contracting and in doing so, a lot progress onto becoming project managers in charge of running a job. *

From a QS degree you can go into many construction related disciplines such as: Procurement, estimating, design management, construction management, project management, bid manager. *Too add you can work client side or for a main contractor.**

My degree was at LJMU and can actually say the course was fantastic, the staff there were really good. *
    I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Economics at A-level, will i be disadvantaged in the selection process having not studied subjects such as business, law or maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsRoger)
    I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Economics at A-level, will i be disadvantaged in the selection process having not studied subjects such as business, law or maths
    I wouldn't particularly say so, no.*

If you look at a QS curriculum at different universities it actually encompasses economics in different modules.*

You don't need A-level maths, I'm sure the maths you do currently would be suffice. *Maths is not my forte and i'm confident I'd have the ability to do the maths in quantity surveying.*

The whole reason you go to University is to learn *stuff like*business, law or maths. I'm sure you will be okay if you put the effort in.*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.