Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Horsewithnoname's summer bucket list Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I'll have time to do the things on the list...

- do a draft essay plan for EPQ
    - meet up with friends
    - read a whole book, cover to cover (either fiction/non-fiction)
    - get five books out from the library

- bake a cake
    - read up on an operation seen during work experience
    - write a short story
    - keep up my German (perhaps get to level 10 on Duolingo...)
    - be more talkative/confident during WE
    - write a blog post (https://hannahmnott.wordpress.com/)
    - research a notifiable disease
    - visit a historic house

Bold and italics= completed
    Italics= started
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by horsewithnoname)
    Hopefully I'll have time to do the things on the list...

- do a draft essay plan for EPQ
    - meet up with friends
    - read a whole book, cover to cover (either fiction/non-fiction)
    - get five books out from the library
    - bake a cake
    - read up on an operation seen during work experience
    - write a short story
    - keep up my German (perhaps get to level 10 on Duolingo...)
    - be more talkative/confident during WE
    - write a blog post (https://hannahmnott.wordpress.com/)
    - research a notifiable disease
    - visit a historic house
    Good luck with all these - I hope you achieve them all

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_20160714_135011808[1].jpg
Views: 81
Size:  305.0 KB

I've already read Matched but I'm re-reading it before I start the other two. Hopefully I'll get at least one of them finished by the end of the summer!

ReputationRep:
    According to Duolingo, I am now 30% fluent in German! Hopefully, I know more German than that as I've done AS German. I've started packing to go away for work experience, which I'm looking forward to. Hopefully I'll learn a lot and be able to quite a lot. If anyone's done work experience at an equine vets practise, can you give me some last minute advise? Thanks!

Seems like a good list, aspirational but still realistic. Good luck with your work experience! Never been in a vet's, but my general advice would be to make yourself useful - volunteer to do things even if it's just washing the tea mugs. It'll make you seem more part of the team than the temporary girl who's popped in for a week for so and should hopefully mean more people ask you to help out with interesting stuff. Above all, don't sit around and wait for people to come and ask you to do stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gatlema)
    Seems like a good list, aspirational but still realistic. Good luck with your work experience! Never been in a vet's, but my general advice would be to make yourself useful - volunteer to do things even if it's just washing the tea mugs. It'll make you seem more part of the team than the temporary girl who's popped in for a week for so and should hopefully mean more people ask you to help out with interesting stuff. Above all, don't sit around and wait for people to come and ask you to do stuff
    Thanks for the encouragement! I've done work experience at vets before but this is the first equine practise I've been to.

ReputationRep:
    So I've finished my draft EPQ plan! (For now anyway...) It's a very rough plan but I can always add to it later on.

Name:  IMG_20160715_191137962[1].jpg
Views: 60
Size:  469.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I haven't posted for the last three weeks. I've been on holiday for the last two weeks in north Yorkshire and the week before that, I was at Bristol University's equine practice. If any Bristol students who were there are reading this, thanks so much for looking after me and making me feel welcome. I didn't know what to expect and it was a lovely week.
    Back to my summer bucket list, I've read two books cover to cover: Crossed by Ally Condie, and Coram Boy by Jamila Gavin. They are both great books and I would recommend both of them. They are quite different though (Crossed is set in the future and Coram Boy is set in the 1700s). As for the books I've got out of the library, they are all non-fiction.

During my holiday to Yorkshire, we went to two National Trust properties, which ticks off visiting historic house. My family are National Trust members, so we got in for free to both places. We went to Nunnington Hall and Rievaulx Terrace, which are about 8 miles apart. They are doable in a day, which is what we did. They are located in picturesque parts of Yorkshire and are worth visiting.

Name:  IMG_20160806_142644856_HDR[2].jpg
Views: 55
Size:  259.9 KB
    Attachment 568024568026
    Attachment 568024568026568000
    [attach]5.6802456802656805e+23[/attach]
    [attach]5.6802456802656806e+29[/attach]
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I baked a strawberry ombre cake over the weekend for my parents' silver anniversary. It tasted lovely but it didn't turn out the way it was meant to. This is what it was meant to look like:

I didn't take a photo but my version was a bit lopsided and I didn't attempt to do the different colour frosting. If anyone wants to try the recipe, this is the link: https://www.bakingmad.com/strawberry-ombre-cake-recipe/
    I was doing work experience at my local city farm last week and I'm at vet's practice this week. Next week I'll be at a different practice, and the week after I'll be back at the city farm to round off the summer. Hopefully I'll learn lots but I might not be able to update this that often.

ReputationRep:
    I've written a blog post about colic, which is a very common condition in horses. This is the link if anyone wants to read it: https://hannahmnott.wordpress.com/2016/08/16/colic/

ReputationRep:
    I met up a friend on Saturday, just to catch up. We went to a nice cafe in Bristol called Woodes, then went up to the museum. I haven't had much time this summer to keep up my German or to write a story because of work experience. I'm currently reading up on cat spaying and researching BSE.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.