• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    :party:
    :bl:Brainzistheword's Summer Bucket List!:bl:
    :ymca:

So as it seems popular, I thought I may as well give it a go. Plus, it will keep me more accountable for actually making my summer productive (seen as I have a long one - 10 weeks - left).

I've tried to come up with at least 20 things I want to do this summer and hopefully I'll be able to do them and share the memories with you guys:

1. Read around my future studies (to keep up with my A-level studies take a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4233122
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Nothing like getting a head start whilst I have the time
    2. Learn to crochet
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Let's try something new!
    3. Learn Mandarin
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's gonna take a while
    4. Do some voluntary work
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Anything to do with unpaid work or fundraising/charity counts
    5. Get work experience
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The more I know the better
    6. Build a model from scratch
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hopefully bigger and better than my last attempt
    7. Take lots of photographs
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not only to share them with all you, but to try and improve my photography skills
    8. Start a blog
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Well, I guess this counts, although a more 'official' one that I can continue with for long into the future is appealing.
    EDIT: It launches tomorrow (1st August!!) Please click here to take a look
    9. Learn a full piece of piano music
    Spoiler:
    Show
    About time I got back into playing, as exams took up all my time
    10. Enter a competition
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Other than this, of course
    11. Go on a bike ride
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Or even better - ride over a total of 100 miles before the end of my holidays
    12. Learn to program/code
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Either using books or websites - or both
    13. Improve knowledge
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Learn anything and everything
    14. Memorise entire Periodic Table
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Why not?
    15. Start scrapbooking
    Spoiler:
    Show
    All I have to do is find a scrapbook design I like
    16. Master Chess
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ok, so mastering it may take longer than a holiday, but I can certainly improve
    17. Start a bullet journal
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've always wanted to have a go at this
    18. Host a stall at a craft fair
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This would be amazing!
    19. Go to an airshow
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Planes, planes and more planes
    20. Paint bedroom
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Again
    21. Look into music theory
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I can play the piano, but I think it's time to learnt the theory
    22. Go stargazing
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I should really use my birthday present before it gets too cloudy
    23. Learn to play a new game
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Preferably the one my brother is in to - I'll let you know what it is when I have completed this ...It's Warhammer 40k
    24. Go to the beach
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Oh where did my childhood go - time to bring it back!
    25. Bake something
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It may be a disaster, but at least I will have tried!
    26. Be able to do a chain of situps
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If I put a limit on it (like 10 in a row) I'd stop at that, but leaving it open leaves room for improvmenet - considering I haven't done sit ups since PE a couple of years ago!
    27. Hold plank for 2 minutes (might get longer, but I'm not one of the strongest or sportiest people)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This will require constant improvement and hopefully I should be able to do it before this competition ends...hopefully (I need to emphasise this)
    28. Completely re-organise my bedroom
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So...it may be a bit of a mess at the minute...
    29. Learn French
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd like to know more than just Bonjour!
    30. Learn Italian
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Quite a few languages here but the more the merrier!
    31. Learn some Spanish
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Never hurts to know languages I guess
    I'll colour code everything and depending on how busy this thread gets, hyperlink each one in so it is easier to locate and follow my progress

Red - Not started yet
    Orange - Started or Attempted
    Green - Completed

Later on, I'm going to make a new post for each of these activities so that I can update each one individually, rather than updating daily. And I will have them all relatively easy to find

ReputationRep:
    WOW !! That is so much. Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    You'll be busy then!! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    WOW !! That is so much. Good luck x
    (Original post by lilacpotato)
    You'll be busy then!! Good luck
    Thank you both of you

ReputationRep:
    this sounds awesome! wishing you the best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That list sounds really fun, good luck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ?Hannah)
    this sounds awesome! wishing you the best of luck!
    (Original post by Pens&Papers)
    That list sounds really fun, good luck
    Thanks you two!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    :yay:COMPLETED - 4. VOLUNTARY WORK (8th July):yay:

I know this is from last week but it was still during my holidays. I went back to my old school to help out a bit. They are just about to do a production so it was great to see them all practicing whilst I helped out with little odd jobs here and there. It was also strange to see how much it had changed and how much was still the same (including many of the teachers). Overall, I spent about 3 hours there and it was immense fun, I'd like to do it again sometime...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    :party2: COMPLETED - 5. WORK EXPERIENCE (4th July - 8th July) :party2:

Again, this was completed last week and it was probably the best week I've ever lived!! I don't think any other placement could have beaten it and everything I learnt was new and so interesting. We did our placements all week then had to give a presentation at the end and thankfully it wasn't as nerve-wracking as I had presumed. Talking to everyone there made me feel so at ease and it has proved that an Engineering/Science career is definitely for me!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    :danceboy: STARTED – 8. START A BLOG (BEGAN 13th JULY) :danceboy:

Now then, to some people, this ‘blog’ will be enough to tick this off the list, but I think it would be great to make an official one, perhaps on WordPress or another site. If anyone has any suggestions of what I should make a blog about then feel free to leave a message on here. I was considering a study blog where I would put my progress (like the GYG ones) and also revision tips/links to websites. Who thinks this would be any good?

When I do decide what I am going to do, I will certainly let you all know
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    :woo: STARTED - 3. LEARN MANDARIN (BEGAN 12TH JULY) :woo:

If you followed my GYG Thread from this year’s GCSEs (which is here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511&page=29 9&p=66403350#post66403350), one of my latest posts was about carrying on studying and one of the things I said I would do was learn Mandarin, as I had wanted to do it at GCSE but it wasn’t offered, so I’ve decided to do it in my free time. I have made revision cards so I get used to the symbols (I’ll upload a picture soon) and I use these as consistently as possible and I will be making more, as at the minute, they just cover animals and colours (the basics). As with the other posts, I’ll update my Mandarin progress in this post so it is all in one place.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    :work: STARTED – 1. READ AROUND FUTURE STUDIES (BEGAN 11th JULY) :work:

It may be out of date, but I have a Physics revision guide for A2 and AS level which I am going to be making notes from this summer, just so I keep my mind ticking over. I might also start looking into other A-level subjects I plan to take such as Maths, so that I know roughly what to expect. I’ll keep updating this post here with what I get up to daily, so that it is all stored in one place and is easy to find.

ReputationRep:
    wow congrats.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    STARTED - 12. LEARN TO PROGRAM/CODE (BEGAN TODAY 15th JULY)

This is the first one I can change in the OP since starting the Bucket List!! Yay!

So today (15th July), I borrowed a book and started learning the basics of HTML. It's not as complicated as I imagined, so hopefully I will be able to practice this very soon and have a test to show you guys. And maybe, just maybe, I can link this in with my other goal to create a blog, as I could write the code for a blog from scratch (if I get good enough). In the meantime, watch this space for projects I do as I get to grips with this new language (and who knows, I may delve into more than just HTML)...

16/7/16
    I watched a YouTube video (which can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6U-i4gXkLM) and it was a great introduction to programming for Python. Although it was administrative details for most of it, it helped to put into context the way programming worked, so I definitely recommend it, and the rest of the lectures in the series.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by mrahim)
    wow congrats.
    Thank you!

I hope you're having a good summer
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    :banana: STARTED – 13. IMPROVE KNOWLEDGE :banana:

This one is going to be a tricky one to ‘COMPLETE’ but as long as I have started it, and continue with it (of course) then that’s good enough for me!

The other day, I managed to do a quiz on all the possible highway signs you could be tested on in the Theory Test (I got through about 207 questions I think) so that was something different. I also aim to read at least 3 pages of 3 different non-fiction texts each day so I can link similar themes together (as most of the books on my shelf are science based). If I remember each morning, I will try and note which books, and how much of them I have read (as most of my reading is done just before I go to bed).

I've been reading websites for general knowledge too, like the pub quiz type of stuff and that's quite interesting so I recommend that to people as a way of keeping mentally active (plus you learn some of the most unusual things!).

IF ANYONE IS READING THIS AND KNOWS OF ANY USEFUL TOPICS OR SUBJECTS TO LOOK INTO, OR WEBSITES THAT ARE GREAT FOR INFORMATION I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT THEM!
    (15/05/2016)
    Here's the first list of books read:
    • First 7 elements of Periodic Table in book called The Periodic Table in Minutes
    • Around 80 pages of coding from book called CSS & HTML
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    :clap2: STARTED - 14. MEMORISE PERIODIC TABLE (BEGAN 15th JULY) :clap2:

Basically, I'd like to be able to recall all the elements and possibly be able to give descriptions or characteristics. I'm going to do this in as many ways as I can, and you'll be able to see my progress below:

15/07/16
    Before bed, I read about 7 of the elements in brief detail (in The Periodic Table in Minutes)

16/07/16
    On a car journey, I was listening to songs about the Periodic Table (not for the whole journey) as it made them easier to remember - I will definitely be doing this again in the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    :danceboy: STARTED – 8. START A BLOG (BEGAN 13th JULY) :danceboy:

Now then, to some people, this ‘blog’ will be enough to tick this off the list, but I think it would be great to make an official one, perhaps on WordPress or another site. If anyone has any suggestions of what I should make a blog about then feel free to leave a message on here. I was considering a study blog where I would put my progress (like the GYG ones) and also revision tips/links to websites. Who thinks this would be any good?

When I do decide what I am going to do, I will certainly let you all know
    You definitely should start a study blog with those points, they'd be pretty sound. You could even do a page on your personal study routine and how you plan everything out for exam study I know i'd find that really helpful. P.S Good luck with your summer bucket list, hope you achieve everything you set out
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by sabawengel)
    You definitely should start a study blog with those points, they'd be pretty sound. You could even do a page on your personal study routine and how you plan everything out for exam study I know i'd find that really helpful. P.S Good luck with your summer bucket list, hope you achieve everything you set out
    Hey thanks for this!! I'm going to start planning this tonight, and I'm definitely going to let you all know when it is up and running, so you can tell me what you think. So like you suggested, I'm going to do a page for my routine and my planning systems, and I might also do something on different techniques and study methods. Anything else you would like to see?

(And thank you for the luck - I hope you're summer is great too!)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Hey everyone, I hope your summers are going well, do let me know what you are getting up to!!

I just thought I'd let you know that I am adding some activities to my list so the number will go up from 23 to 25 (at least, although this might get even higher).

If anyone has any suggestions for things they want me to try or suggestions to help me complete certain ones then feel free to post them here

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.