Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, the past couple of years I've been interested in coding and for around the past 5 months, i've been seriously trying to make it as a future career.

I have currently been accepted into university, starting October 1st doing computer science.

I am still unclear on what particular area I want to go into, with the wide range of coding jobs out there. But, I can currently make websites, and have been offering free services for around 2-3months to gain extra experience.

I am really interested and keen into getting to know Windows operation systems development... I just don't know where I would start, what language, or anything?

if somebody knows anything about this department that would be amazing to point me in the right direction so I could review the requirements and see if it is something that would still interest me.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking to go onto Windows development then C# is a good choice. If you're looking to go into low level windows development then C++ is a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    Also make sure to Download Visual Studio as your IDE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    If you're looking to go into low level windows development then C++ is a good choice.
    C++ is great! If we make the assumption that C is a subset of C++ then the following was created using C++:

All major operating systems (Windows, OS X and Linux)
    Most AAA titles - the Unreal engine uses C++
    A lot of console games
    Most interpreted language's VMs
    Compilers
    Web browsers - such as Chrome
    Any performance critical software

When you first create an operating system your first task is usually to create a simple C compiler, then a more powerful C compiler then a C++ compiler. C/C++ is pretty much the foundation medium-level language of modern computing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murtou)
    Its not just Windows development
    I never said it was just for windows development?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    I never said it was just for windows development?
    Yeah, that's correct. I just wanted to give a broader range of examples of what C++ could be used for. The way i worded it makes it look like i'm trying to disagree with you but i do agree with what you said.

I've edited my comment to remove that ambiguity

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.