Turn on thread page Beta

Can somebody point me in the right direction? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, the past couple of years I've been interested in coding and for around the past 5 months, i've been seriously trying to make it as a future career.

I have currently been accepted into university, starting October 1st doing computer science.

I am still unclear on what particular area I want to go into, with the wide range of coding jobs out there. But, I can currently make websites, and have been offering free services for around 2-3months to gain extra experience.

I am really interested and keen into getting to know Windows operation systems development... I just don't know where I would start, what language, or anything?

if somebody knows anything about this department that would be amazing to point me in the right direction so I could review the requirements and see if it is something that would still interest me.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking to go onto Windows development then C# is a good choice. If you're looking to go into low level windows development then C++ is a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    Also make sure to Download Visual Studio as your IDE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    If you're looking to go into low level windows development then C++ is a good choice.
    C++ is great! If we make the assumption that C is a subset of C++ then the following was created using C++:

All major operating systems (Windows, OS X and Linux)
    Most AAA titles - the Unreal engine uses C++
    A lot of console games
    Most interpreted language's VMs
    Compilers
    Web browsers - such as Chrome
    Any performance critical software

When you first create an operating system your first task is usually to create a simple C compiler, then a more powerful C compiler then a C++ compiler. C/C++ is pretty much the foundation medium-level language of modern computing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murtou)
    Its not just Windows development
    I never said it was just for windows development?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    I never said it was just for windows development?
    Yeah, that's correct. I just wanted to give a broader range of examples of what C++ could be used for. The way i worded it makes it look like i'm trying to disagree with you but i do agree with what you said.

I've edited my comment to remove that ambiguity

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.