The Student Room Group

Started new job

In a local authority on £14,996, It is worth noting that I live in a poor area. My education was a mixed bag i had 8GCSE's including english and maths at A-C and a A*A in Alevel business studies and a E in Alevel IT (Yes i know, that this was bad but at the time i was doing that one I had a lot of bad news so didnt care. My question is, Is this a good wage? I calculate it to £7.77 per hour
Min wage for 18-20 is £5.30
21-24 is £6.70

Considering you just ahve GCSE's really, its not bad. You dont say you ahve a lot of experience or your age. If you are 18-20 then I think its good.
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
Particularly for a public sector role, that doesn't sound too bad at all.

Although you won't necessarily think of it as a benefit at this stage, you are likely to be getting a decent pension contribution if it is a LA too. That and other benefits have to be factored into your total remuneration value.

I suspect your level of work is similar to an apprentice, even if this is not an apprenticeship itself. You might want to look at comparable apprenticeship salaries in your area to see how it compares. It's above the living wage value though by roughly 50p an hour/7.5%, so it could be worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I have done this job for a month on apprenticeship wage, It was that or the dole and then I got offered it on a full time basis
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
If it is an apprenticeship then this is a very good salary and opportunity.

You are getting training/qualifications which are likely to lead to career progression and salary increases in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They took me off the apprenticeship after a month. It was a Midlands authority still doing a qualification but the main difference is the pay
Reply 4
Original post by J-SP
Ah ok. I don't know the circumstances but it's a good thing they offered you another role. Usually people who get taken off apprenticeships get fired!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I work on a call center back tomorrow had annual leave booked since monday, It can be exhausting and you lose IQ points listening to some of the employees whinge (I work in HR BTW)
Original post by RedDaz
In a local authority on £14,996, It is worth noting that I live in a poor area. My education was a mixed bag i had 8GCSE's including english and maths at A-C and a A*A in Alevel business studies and a E in Alevel IT (Yes i know, that this was bad but at the time i was doing that one I had a lot of bad news so didnt care. My question is, Is this a good wage? I calculate it to £7.77 per hour

I would agree with those saying that for the public sector it is pretty decent, especially for a non grad. I'm a graduate myself, I'm not corporately minded so I was looking at roles in the public and not for profit sectors myself and I've seen quite a few at the minimum wage, so £6.70 an hour some even saying a Masters was desirable.
Reply 6
Original post by jelly1000
I would agree with those saying that for the public sector it is pretty decent, especially for a non grad. I'm a graduate myself, I'm not corporately minded so I was looking at roles in the public and not for profit sectors myself and I've seen quite a few at the minimum wage, so £6.70 an hour some even saying a Masters was desirable.

I could understand for charitable bodies as 75 % of donations are wages.Out of interest what area you from and whats your degree in?
Original post by RedDaz
I could understand for charitable bodies as 75 % of donations are wages.Out of interest what area you from and whats your degree in?

London, I did my degree in International Relations and Masters in International Public Policy, just secured an internship although it pays a bit more than minimum wage (London living wage)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending