The Student Room Group

Retake BTEC level 3 in another college?

Hi,

I just finished my first year in college doing a 90 credit diploma but got the 60 credit only as i did not complete 9/9 units. I wanted to ask if i can apply for the same course,90 credit(subsidary diploma), then into 180 credit (extended diploma) second year,but in a different college?
btw i am 17, this year of college was my first after leaving school.

thank you!
Reply 1
Bump

Pls anyone
Reply 2
You'd have to ask the college and see if the units you've done are compatible with the course they teach. Also, unless you start again and do a full two year extended course or do a sub diploma along with a BTEC certificate you won't get a full 180 credit course but will get an 120 credit diploma from two 60 credit subsidiary diplomas
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi,

Thanks for replying, it makes a lot more sense now.
I am choosing to redo the full extended diploma In the other college as the other way is too much of a hassle. Well, for me anyway. Thanks again.
Reply 4
aye seems the most sensible course of action, you only lose a year which in the grand scheme of things is nothing :smile:
It's important to note that government are changing current funding for these types of courses, so you will more than likely have to pay for your course especially if you were to retake your course or start a new one.
Reply 6
Original post by George12X
It's important to note that government are changing current funding for these types of courses, so you will more than likely have to pay for your course especially if you were to retake your course or start a new one.

as far as I'm aware as long as you start your course when your 16-18 its covered, even then you can get a 19+ loan to cover your tuition fees for the college course.
Reply 7
Original post by Agric101
as far as I'm aware as long as you start your course when your 16-18 its covered, even then you can get a 19+ loan to cover your tuition fees for the college course.

Had me worried for a moment there guys D:
Reply 8
Original post by Haroon_123
Had me worried for a moment there guys D:

haha honestly think you'll be fine pal, I just did a BTEC and I was 18 when I started and i was fully funded so no reason to think anything would be that different with you, you'd of been told by the college if you had to pay for your course by now
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

Thanks for replying, it makes a lot more sense now.
I am choosing to redo the full extended diploma In the other college as the other way is too much of a hassle. Well, for me anyway. Thanks again.

A few other things to consider and ask questions about before you enrol:

Has your previous college already 'claimed' all the units you completed? Eventually everything comes down to money and your new college will want to know this.

You can't 'redo' units already claimed with the examboard.

Does your new college offer sufficient new units that you haven't attempted before?

The new BTEC starts this Sep 2016, is your new college enrolling you on the new BTEC (with exams and controlled assessment) or are they continuing with the old BTEC for another 12 months?
Reply 10
Original post by btectutor
A few other things to consider and ask questions about before you enrol:

Has your previous college already 'claimed' all the units you completed? Eventually everything comes down to money and your new college will want to know this.

You can't 'redo' units already claimed with the examboard.

Does your new college offer sufficient new units that you haven't attempted before?

The new BTEC starts this Sep 2016, is your new college enrolling you on the new BTEC (with exams and controlled assessment) or are they continuing with the old BTEC for another 12 months?

Well, the course in question has 18 units total and i have done 7 of those. However, it was rounded to 6 units as thats the requirement for a subsidiary diploma.

Also, in my interview the interviewer did not know much about the course because she was a level 2 teacher :/ and lastly she told me that i'd find out more on the actual enrolment day.

Anything wrong here or am i good?

Thanks (sorry for spelling, autocorrect is disabled)
Well, the course in question has 18 units total and i have done 7 of those. However, it was rounded to 6 units as thats the requirement for a subsidiary diploma.

Also, in my interview the interviewer did not know much about the course because she was a level 2 teacher :/ and lastly she told me that i'd find out more on the actual enrolment day.

Anything wrong here or am i good?

Thanks (sorry for spelling, autocorrect is disabled)

So you were doing the Extended Diploma (triple) over two years if you were completing 18 units.
Are you just going to continue with this one course, or pick up an additional subject? If you didn't achieve many distinctions it's going to be difficult to achieve a high final grade.
Are you intending on applying to Uni eventually?
You really need to be asking a lot of questions at enrolement.
So you were doing the Extended Diploma (triple) over two years if you were completing 18 units.
Are you just going to continue with this one course, or pick up an additional subject? If you didn't achieve many distinctions it's going to be difficult to achieve a high final grade.
Are you intending on applying to Uni eventually?
You really need to be asking a lot of questions at enrolement.

No, the OP was doing the 90 Credit Diploma.
You are of course correct, I was reading it too quickly.
So OP, you are looking at taking 3yrs in total to do the Extended Diploma?
You have completed the Sub Dip, how many Dist, Merit, Passes did you get?
Reply 14
You are of course correct, I was reading it too quickly.
So OP, you are looking at taking 3yrs in total to do the Extended Diploma?
You have completed the Sub Dip, how many Dist, Merit, Passes did you get?

6 passes and 1 merit. However they only count the highest 6 i think. And yes i think i'd have to go from sub dip> dip> extended dip which would make 3 years total and i might get into uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending