The Student Room Group

Why do we dream?

Dreaming is something that we do every night, or at least most of us do and nobody really knows why we do it.

The bad news is, we still don't really know. However, many of you will have heard of Sigmund Freud and the book he wrote called The Interpretation of Dreams. He argued that our dreams represented the things we wished we could do in our real lifes, but were unable to do.

This theory is unproven, and is among many different theories about why we dream, but it is the most famous out of the lot. Recently though, research has been carried out and part of Freud's theory has perhaps been proven right: we dream of things we are trying our best to ignore.

(If you want to read the full article about this topic then click right here!)

In your opinion, why do we dream? Do you think Freud is right? Is our dreams perhaps a portal to another world? :colone: Finally, out of curiosity what are your thoughts on Déjà vu?

Plus if you've got any strange dreams you wish to share then feel free! (No weird ones pls :colondollar:)
The scariest dreams are usually the ones where you feel like you're falling and there's nobody to help you and you wake up thinking it's actually real but it's not of course. I actually cry when that happens.*
I had an awesome dream last night that I met a prince at uni and we got married. I swear inside I'm still the little girl whose dream is to be a princess.
Reply 3
Original post by queen-bee
The scariest dreams are usually the ones where you feel like you're falling and there's nobody to help you and you wake up thinking it's actually real but it's not of course. I actually cry when that happens.*

Yeah those ones are quite frightening :redface: The other day I had a dream that someone was pulling my teeth out and I felt like I could actually taste the blood... :frown: Apparently that's to do with anxiety! Not that I know what I was anxious about!

Original post by Platopus
I had an awesome dream last night that I met a prince at uni and we got married. I swear inside I'm still the little girl whose dream is to be a princess.

That's a nice dream :wink: maybe one day, just one day, you shall become a princess :tongue:
Original post by PugDevil

That's a nice dream :wink: maybe one day, just one day, you shall become a princess :tongue:

Princess Platopus... Has a nice ring to it :lovedup2:
Sigmund Freud is wrong in this case. Dreams are just a jumble of current experiences / emotions / thoughts one had in the past day, and past experiences / emotions/ thoughts one may have had years ago.

Their purpose is in memory.

Quick Reply