Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We've been set the task to compare two literal texts for English Literature but I'm not sure which books to choose, I've started reading Nineteen-Eighty One but the book has not really interested me and I now do not know what to do. Could anyone help?

(Original post by ByJohnSmith)
    We've been set the task to compare two literal texts for English Literature but I'm not sure which books to choose, I've started reading Nineteen-Eighty One but the book has not really interested me and I now do not know what to do. Could anyone help?
    I assume you mean 1984. Very good book, I'd persevere if I were you! You might want to compare it to 'We' by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Not many people know this, but Orwell was inspired by 'We' to write 1984.

ReputationRep:
    If you were looking for books to compare to 1984 I'd recommend 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro or 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood, as they are both modern dystopian novels.

If you didn't want to do 1984, you should have a think about what books you have enjoyed, or which books you've read that can be analysed well for an essay - these two aren't always the same thing :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    I assume you mean 1984. Very good book, I'd persevere if I were you! You might want to compare it to 'We' by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Not many people know this, but Orwell was inspired by 'We' to write 1984.
    I've currently read the first part of 1984, but a vast majority of the text hasn't made much sense to me. Should I try and force through the second part and see if anything changes?

I've currently read the first part of 1984, but a vast majority of the text hasn't made much sense to me. Should I try and force through the second part and see if anything changes?
    I guess if you don't understand it then try something else. If you're looking for other dystopian literature, you could try: 'The Wasteland', 'The Handmaid's Tale' or as Fox Corner suggested, 'Never Let Me Go'.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Dont force yourself through because whilst sitting there reading something thst is unappealing, you could be reading and making notes on something kuch more enjoyable. Do you have to stick to dystopian literature? If not, then choose a seminal literature that you would pick up as though it was your daily/nightly read. That way, you'll be more inclined to like studying something you enjoy reading.

For my coursework, I tried forcing my way through Wuthering Heights, but I couldnt. What made it worse was thinking I had to write an essay on it [shudders]. So I decided to say in the period of Victorian Lit and chosen Dorian Gray as I loved the novel. It was truly interesting getting to use ot for my c/w. I recommend you do the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    If you were looking for books to compare to 1984 I'd recommend 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro or 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood, as they are both modern dystopian novels.

If you didn't want to do 1984, you should have a think about what books you have enjoyed, or which books you've read that can be analysed well for an essay - these two aren't always the same thing :lol:
    I wouldn't compare two dystopian novels, I think that's what examiners expect. I think you could probably getting away with comparing with a different type of text such as Songs of Innocence and Experience to get a overall view of how opposition changed over time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atticus88)
    I wouldn't compare two dystopian novels, I think that's what examiners expect. I think you could probably getting away with comparing with a different type of text such as Songs of Innocence and Experience to get a overall view of how opposition changed over time.
    That's a really interesting idea! You'd have to have a really clear idea of what you were looking at, as it would be so easy to get off track with SOIAE.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.