Relic Watch

Nunchuck-master-2334
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
For geography, I have a 70 mark question about cold environments. I need to give examples of climatic processes and active and relic cold environments. Any ideas?
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not sure about the climatic processes, but examples of environments could be:

Polar glacial environments - the Arctic, Antarctica
Alpine glacial environments - the French Alps, the Himalayas, the Andes
Periglacial environments - North America, Northern Europe, Siberia
Relict glacial environments - the Lake District, the Cairngorms
Nunchuck-master-2334
Rep:
?
That's brilliant.Any ideas for relict periglacial environments?
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mvine001)
That's brilliant.Any ideas for relict periglacial environments?
I'm not sure about relict periglacial environments, I think parts of the Cairngorms might fit that though?
Nunchuck-master-2334
Rep:
?
Cheers. It looks like it fits the description I was given by my teacher.
Nunchuck-master-2334
Rep:
?
Just throwing this out here:What do you think affects the temperatures of the following:Glacial areasTundra areasAlpine areas
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
relict periglacial environments will be places that used to be influenced by a periglacial environment. in the UK examples of these tend to be in southern england where arctic ice sheets at the end of the last ice age failed to reach.
most places therefore have some relict periglacial features but more well known examples include dartmoor, exmoor in devon and bodmin moor and west penwith moors in cornwall.
relict periglacial environments often contain features in the landscape such as tors, evidence of frost shattering processes, clitter fields, relict frost wedges etc. if you want more detail on examples of these on dartmoor i will be happy to help. I am in my 2nd year of a geography degree and have done detailed work on periglacial and glacial features on dartmoor.
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just throwing this out here:What do you think affects the temperatures of the following:Glacial areasTundra areasAlpine areas
The main factors I think are latitude and altitude.

Glacial areas are found at high latitudes and altitudes, and are permanently covered by ice. Glacial environments such as the Antarctic Ice Sheet (in the southern hemisphere), and the Greenland Ice Sheet (in the northern hemisphere) are found at high latitudes, i.e. above 60o latitude.

Tundra areas (cold areas where trees don't grow) are also generally found at high latitudes, between 60o and 70o latitude. Arctic tundra is found in Greenland, Canada and northern Russia, and Antarctic tundra is found on the islands around Antarctica, such as South Georgia.

Alpine areas are always found at high altitude, and are not affected by latitude.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
this might be good...

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/itsold/p.../GE2011L21.pdf
Nunchuck-master-2334
Rep:
?
Blimey. This is extremely useful. To be honest, I didn't see this coming, the help from a Uni student. Good luck with the rest of the course.
Nunchuck-master-2334
Rep:
?
These have actually helped me with three different essay questions. Thanks.
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Blimey. This is extremely useful. To be honest, I didn't see this coming, the help from a Uni student. Good luck with the rest of the course.
i assume this message is for me, if so you're welcome, glacial and periglacial environments/ landforms is one of my best areas for geography so happy to help, and thanks
Nunchuck-master-2334
Rep:
?
How can I show how climatic processes explain the distribution peri/glacial environments? This is worth 70 marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.52%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.67%
No, but I want to start (189)
36%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.57%