Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transition to A2 Maths... How to remember content from AS? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it wise to revise AS Maths content over the summer holidays in order to prepare myself for when I start studying A2?

What would you former A2 Maths students advise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Is it wise to revise AS Maths content over the summer holidays in order to prepare myself for when I start studying A2?

Enjoy the summer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    as long as you don't forget how to intergrate/ differentiate then you can't go wrong

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I forgot over last summer was the Binomial Expansion formula... Which you get anyway, so no worries there. Anything you forget will quickly come back to you as you cover it over the next year.

You should be alright

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing well on C3, you'll be effectively revisiting C1 concepts anyway. There are some circle theorems that don't overlap well, but other than that it's pretty easy to go straight in.

ReputationRep:

Just start A2. You wont forget any of the material in C1/2 as there is hardly any.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!!

What would you suggest is the best way to study for A2-Level Maths? I'm thinking a mixture of studying from the textbook and Exam Solutions. Just seems like there is so much to remember for Maths!! I studied loads for AS but still got caught off-guard in the exams!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!!

What would you suggest is the best way to study for A2-Level Maths? I'm thinking a mixture of studying from the textbook and Exam Solutions. Just seems like there is so much to remember for Maths!! I studied loads for AS but still got caught off-guard in the exams!
    Content-wise, A-level mathematics is quite a light subject. If you remember a few basic principles, you can essentially derive the rest. It requires a lot of practice and dedication to master a particular skill - to be able to interpret a question and pick out relevant bits of information, recall certain relationships, and apply them.

I'd say it takes around 100 hours of practice on past papers to fully understand a module, and it's even better if you go a little beyond the syllabus and ask questions like "why do you drop the power by one, and multiply by the previous power when you do derivatives?" to further improve your understanding.

I think you'll find it helpful to do some pre-learning before classes, reading ahead and watching ExamSolutions/HegartyMaths/KhansAcademy/mathbff and other channel videos to have some idea of what you're doing. It improves your focus when you're learning, so you aren't "stuck" all the time.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4191243

I'm sure there is plenty of advice here that you might find helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy the summer, if you want just flick over your notes every now and then or complete a paper.

ReputationRep:
    You should really be doing a couple past papers a day

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.