Turn on thread page Beta

I feel consumed by my anxiety watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys so im 16 and many people might say 'oh you're too young to feel that way' blah blah blah. I know for a fact that ive been suffering terribly from social anxiety for as long as i can remember (start of middle school maybe, when i was around about 10) it just seems to be getting increasingly worse. For instance ive known my boyfriends parents for a year and i struggle to speak to them. Ive had a number of panic attacks and i feel as though im never going to make friends you know. Advice and tips on how to deal with anxiety would be great,
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's not unheard of at all. In fact, you will probably find that it starts to get better as you grow older.

Here's the thing: primary and secondary schools are generally filled with horrible people. Once you are past that level of your education, you will find that people are more mature and easier to get along with. But coming out of your shell and overcoming your anxiety will require effort on your part; you really need to put yourself out there, even if it may be scary. Are there any debating clubs that you could join or something similar that would help you with speaking/communication skills?

ReputationRep:
    try new things by yourself e.g. volunteer for organisations or something without your friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    It's not unheard of at all. In fact, you will probably find that it starts to get better as you grow older.

Here's the thing: primary and secondary schools are generally filled with horrible people. Once you are past that level of your education, you will find that people are more mature and easier to get along with. But coming out of your shell and overcoming your anxiety will require effort on your part; you really need to put yourself out there, even if it may be scary. Are there any debating clubs that you could join or something similar that would help you with speaking/communication skills?
    Thank you! I do think it would be difficult to even make friends to start with because everybody has their own social groups and im not a social butterfly like everybody ive seen. As for groups there are none. I guess in my mind i want to do everything like exercising and hobbies but my brain is just not wanting me to do it. Thank you for your advice though

ReputationRep:
    Anxiety can manifest and present itself at anytime during one's life. There's no set age. If you feel that it is affecting your day-to-day life and preventing you from activities and hobbies that you would normally carry out if it wasn't for the anxiety, then I strongly recommend making an appointment to see your GP. Remember that it's all confidential and you can speak freely to them about your symptoms, situation etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2016
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.