Turn on thread page Beta

What should I do? flashbacks, panic attacks watch

Announcements

Both my parents are severely emotionally abusive and confuse me daily. I have suffered with anorexia and self harm for many years and I am almost 4 months into recovery by myself as my parents refuse to take my mental health seriously despite my GP talking to them and CAMHS. I am incredibly stressed out at the moment and I don't know what to do. The summer holidays are approaching and I live each day afraid of what will happen to me, whilst dealing with an eating disorder and the need to self destruct as a result of what is destroying me. I do not recall a day in the past 3 months where I have not come home and just cried. I am plagued daily with flashbacks and traumatic experiences being replayed in my head. I have panic attacks frequently and am extremely stressed and always on the brink of tears. I don't what I should do because I am emotionally and mentally exhausted and drained and I am worried about the effect that it is having on my health, is it worth going to see my GP again? thank you for your time any advice would be much appreciated
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes, it is worth seeing your GP again, and if you feel dissatisfied by the experience, don't be afraid of making an appointment with a different doctor instead. You can even ask to see a doctor of the same gender as you, if you feel that that would be more comfortable for you in explaining the situation.

Just a tip: write down all the symptoms that you experience and take this with you for the appointment. It really helps. It might be worth keeping a diary as well.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Both my parents are severely emotionally abusive and confuse me daily. I have suffered with anorexia and self harm for many years and I am almost 4 months into recovery by myself as my parents refuse to take my mental health seriously despite my GP talking to them and CAMHS. I am incredibly stressed out at the moment and I don't know what to do. The summer holidays are approaching and I live each day afraid of what will happen to me, whilst dealing with an eating disorder and the need to self destruct as a result of what is destroying me. I do not recall a day in the past 3 months where I have not come home and just cried. I am plagued daily with flashbacks and traumatic experiences being replayed in my head. I have panic attacks frequently and am extremely stressed and always on the brink of tears. I don't what I should do because I am emotionally and mentally exhausted and drained and I am worried about the effect that it is having on my health, is it worth going to see my GP again? thank you for your time any advice would be much appreciated
    Hello

I was in your situation about 2 months ago but I have had a really fast recovery. Now for me I had similar problems and this continued for a year. Firstly I would advice talking to people. Your parents, family, friends GP etc. I know you have said your parents don't take it seriously but just try and ignore them. I don't understand why some parents do this even mine did this to me. Secondly when I was feeling down I felt like no-one could possibly feel how I am feeling. How silly was I? There are 7 billion people in the world and you need to understand there is a cure! You need to say enough is enough and fight this. It will be hard for you but the hardest things in life are the most rewarding. As for feeling exhausted I can really relate. I used to do nothing but used to feel really tired. I then did not eat making things worse. Sleep got worse due to this and hell a lot of problems. I know your feeling bad now but you need to start making changes. You know you have a eating disorder. Force yourself to eat properly. Start making changes. Talk to your GP. Refer yourself to talking therapies. Don't give up honestly there is light at the end of the tunnel. You just need to fight for it because at the moment the NHS is awful. I remember feeling so bad and actually phoning up one of these places and they didn't answer or made me wait ages. Try chase these things up and claim back your life.

ReputationRep:
    You could search for charitable sources of therapy. Search for eating disorder or trauma recovery resources. Definitely get back in touch with GP. You might have to explain your trauma to them.

I kept being bounced around the short term services until I disclosed childhood sexual abuse. Still took me another 4 years to get regular psychotherapy and I had to fight for it and a diagnosis of PTSD

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you should definitely see your GP with a view to getting your symptoms under control. Therapy could also help you to manage your situation, with it being ongoing (coming from home). Your parents may not want to take any responsibility for this, so be prepared to keep going back to your GP.

http://www.clinicalhypnotherapy-card...ress-disorder/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.