Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to approach a company about volunteering or work experience? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've found a few companies or places that I feel might be relevant to my career, however I'm not sure how to go about writing to them.

Do you think just a simple,

"Hi there,

I'm a recent graduate whose just completed my course at....

I'm looking for some work experience or volunteering experience and was wondering if you had any available? I'm really interested in your company/project and would like to be involved

If you do have any vacancies, please could you let me know. Thank you very much.

- MoonRocket"

????

ReputationRep:
    If they don't have to pay you, they will most likely take you, but they may make you do the repetitive ******** stuff
    like shredding or making cups of tea or being a slave.

It's better to get paid internships, so it benefits you and they don't mess you about as much...though they may still neglect you cos they are so busy themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg45344)
    If they don't have to pay you, they will most likely take you, but they may make you do the repetitive ******** stuff
    like shredding or making cups of tea or being a slave.

It's better to get paid internships, so it benefits you and they don't mess you about as much...though they may still neglect you cos they are so busy themselves.
    hmm.. but I guess its experience. haha.

Not sure where about to find these internships.

It's actually just a work experience at a film festival thing and also maybe writing for a local newsletter if they allow that?

No idea where to start looking for suitable jobs....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoonRocket)
    hmm.. but I guess its experience. haha.

Not sure where about to find these internships.

It's actually just a work experience at a film festival thing and also maybe writing for a local newsletter if they allow that?

No idea where to start looking for suitable jobs....
    Just google.."paid internships in X"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg45344)
    Just google.."paid internships in X"
    are those legit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoonRocket)
    are those legit?
    They do exist, as I did a paid internship in 2011. I was getting something like £64 a day. Mine lasted 6 weeks, so it's a good chunk of money to come out with.

But there are scams, so you need to look around a bit. If you don't recognise the company name and they want money up front for an "application fee", it's most likely a scam.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.