Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Question for those who have already been/at university! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Why's it lower in your final year as well? Thats just stupid. :mad:
    Because they expect you to work in the summer after you leave university, also, at my university anyway, the final year is shorter than the first 2; so they figure you need less money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Because they expect you to work in the summer after you leave university, also, at my university anyway, the final year is shorter than the first 2; so they figure you need less money.
    Yeah, I read something about not needing it for the summer, but I wasn't planning to use it in the summer of my other two years either. I won't have any of it left. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My dad became redundant whilst I was uni so I've had to help out at home money-wise for the last year! Supporting yourself and your parents is not recommended whilst being a student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    My dad became redundant whilst I was uni so I've had to help out at home money-wise for the last year! Supporting yourself and your parents is not recommended whilst being a student
    Are you trying to steal my life?!!!

I had the same thing during my first degree, my dad lost his job when the company he worked fo went under. Thankfully he was back in work again about 13 months later. It worked well for me though as them were the days of grants, and I got an emergency reassessment, and got a bigger grant. It still meant that my mum and dad were in no position to help me at all throughout my degree (as any small savings they had went on living costs), (although I didn't support my rants, I did pay rent and house keeping if and when I went home), as a result I worked full time whilst doing a full time degree! Just thinking back to it makes me very tired!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Are you trying to steal my life?!!!

I had the same thing during my first degree, my dad lost his job when the company he worked fo went under. Thankfully he was back in work again about 13 months later. It worked well for me though as them were the days of grants, and I got an emergency reassessment, and got a bigger grant. It still meant that my mum and dad were in no position to help me at all throughout my degree (as any small savings they had went on living costs), (although I didn't support my rants, I did pay rent and house keeping if and when I went home), as a result I worked full time whilst doing a full time degree! Just thinking back to it makes me very tired!!!

Wow, no student should have to go through that, you seemed to have coped well though *envies someone who can cope in the real world*

Your debt at the end must've been huge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    Wow, no student should have to go through that, you seemed to have coped well though *envies someone who can cope in the real world*

Your debt at the end must've been huge.
    £4k, so not bad at all really - that included a student loan (took one out in my final year so that I could afford to leave work at Christmas and concentrate on my finals).

There were people in a much worse position than I.

ReputationRep:
    There were people in a much worse position than I.
    Give us an example, and why were they in a worse situation than you, squandered their money? spent all of it on booze? just didn't have a job at the side?

ReputationRep:
    My mum and dad are good citizens

They've only claimed the minimum benefits because they are honest (apparently you have to sign to say you will work full-time to get the full amount but my mummy and daddy only want to get part-time work and earn just enough to pay the bills and food).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    Give us an example, and why were they in a worse situation than you, squandered their money? spent all of it on booze? just didn't have a job at the side?
    Large families, poorer parents, worked hard, took on paid work as well. Or worse still, couldn't find a decent job - it's not uncommon at University, with the wide cross-section of society represented.

There were people that clearly took the piss though: In those days, you were only assessed on your natural parents income, so if mummy had no job and re-married a rich man, these peeps got full grants, and usually a shed load of money from their step parent.

The thing that really upset me was that I chose to work rather than take out loans (was always bought up to believe if you can't afford it you don't have it - I'm a little more chilled on that front now though!). When filling out my form for presciption cost help, I declared my earnings and my grant. However, they included the loan whether you took it or not. So I got no help, dispite not having the residual income they were working off. With psoriasis and the barrage of creams I get through, that really pissed me off! Rich kids however tended to get a full certificate!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    My mum and dad are good citizens

They've only claimed the minimum benefits because they are honest (apparently you have to sign to say you will work full-time to get the full amount but my mummy and daddy only want to get part-time work and earn just enough to pay the bills and food).
    I could have seriously slapped my dad - he was too proud to sign on and only claimed for the last 3 months he was out of work.

ReputationRep:
    was always bought up to beleive if you can't afford it you don't have it
    No wonder we get on so well! We are from the same lack of money at home kind of background

We are Oxford's token poor kids!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    No wonder we get on so well! We are from the same lack of money at home kind of background

We are Oxford's token poor kids!
    Money, shmoney! Who needs it

I think my parents were just glad that none of my brothers expressed a wish to go to uni!

ReputationRep:
    I could have seriously slapped my dad - he was too proud to sign on and only claimed for the last 3 months he was out of work.
    So have my parents! They didn't start claiming until I filled out the forms for them and forced them to sign them recently.

ReputationRep:
    Money, shmoney! Who needs it
    BTW isn't Mr Fluffy going to pay for your living costs whilst as med school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    So have my parents! They didn't start claiming until I filled out the forms for them and forced them to sign them recently.
    Parents! Every kids nightmare!

ReputationRep:
    Nope - why should he have too?

At the moment hes only 2 years post call, so not earning a lot - I bring home more at the moment. In fact, when filling out my PN1, we were in minus figures for residual income! Doesn't mean I get more of a loan though - grr and damn it!
    What's a few pennies between loving couples?!

Ah, I thought he was earning megabucks, I didn't realise he was only on the road to earning megabucks! Oops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Ah, I thought he was earning megabucks, I didn't realise he was only on the road to earning megabucks! Oops!
    I wish!!! The worst bit is waiting for payment from instructing solicitors! Can take months to come in, so you never know where you are money wise, well not in the first few years anyway!

Even if he were loaded, we've always gone dutch on everything joint otherwise managed our own money separately. It's not fair that just cos we happen to be in love, he gets shafted for supporting me! It's not like we're married or owt - well not yet! some stupid agreement we made 2 years back about waiting until we were both no longer students! D'Oh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    hehehe - made an agreement back in 97 that we'd get married when we could afford it - pinned down as when I'm earning £28k.

Hubby is starting to get worried *evil grin*
    * grins ... hopes for an invite! *

ReputationRep:
    I'll take that as an invitation then

* thinks what should I get the happy couple for a present? *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    silly hats are always a winner
    That's a bit tacky? I was thinking about something a lot more glamourous! Weekend in Venice perhaps?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.