Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I got offers from Reading, Sheffield and Aberdeen. While I am heavily leaning towards Aberdeen I still haven't made my final decision as of yet. Does anyone have an insider information about the Aberdeen program? What you like about it or maybe when you wish could be better about it? Or even what you heard about it?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

As a PA who graduated from the Aberdeen programme, I can give you some more information. What I liked about the Aberdeen programme was that you are integrated with the medical student programme to begin with, we also had lectures/clinical sessions specifically aimed at PA's, excellent clinical skills facilities, good support from staff. 1st year was spent on theory/clinical skills and the 2nd year consisted of 11 clinical placements in Aberdeen. I believe the new students get the opportunity to spend time on placements in the Highlands and Tayside for example. If you have any further questions, please ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gmcneill1)
    Hi,

As a PA who graduated from the Aberdeen programme, I can give you some more information. What I liked about the Aberdeen programme was that you are integrated with the medical student programme to begin with, we also had lectures/clinical sessions specifically aimed at PA's, excellent clinical skills facilities, good support from staff. 1st year was spent on theory/clinical skills and the 2nd year consisted of 11 clinical placements in Aberdeen. I believe the new students get the opportunity to spend time on placements in the Highlands and Tayside for example. If you have any further questions, please ask.
    Hi,

Thanks for the info!! I do have a few more questions.

1. Did you get to choose or request any of your placements?

2. Were there any study aids that you found particularly useful during your studies?

3. How did you manage studying and finding time to enjoy other pars of life?

ReputationRep:
    We had 11 placements and we were allowed to request which of the blocks we did - which order we did the placements in. At that time, we had the option of an elective placement so we could pick where we wanted to do that but I don't think there is the option of an elective placement now. I think with some of the placements being in other areas of Scotland you can request those ones if you particularly want to go to those areas. The students now also get to spend time in a few different clinical areas which we didn't - placements include A&E, General surgery, orthopaedics, Gastroenterology, Respiratory, Cardiologt, Haematology and lots more!

In terms of study materials, I like the Oxford handbooks, also I used a few of the American PA textbooks - the library at Aberdeen had the books there. There's plenty of study material from the lectures and clinical sessions you get.

It is a full time course and you are in pretty much Monday-Friday 9-5 but will usually have time during the day at uni to study or in the evenings.

Feel free to ask any more questions you have!

QUOTE=mixa;66506148]Hi,

2. Were there any study aids that you found particularly useful during your studies?

3. How did you manage studying and finding time to enjoy other pars of life?[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Did you get handouts or emailed copies of the lecture material? Or did you just write out your own notes? Do the instructors allow you to voice record any of the lectures?

What was the comradery like with the other students? Did you guys hang out or study together or did you all do your own thing?

What was it like when you did your placement? Were the staff receptive to you being there?

Do you know if the students now have to relocate to be closer to their placements or do they commute back and forth now?

We had 11 placements and we were allowed to request which of the blocks we did - which order we did the placements in. At that time, we had the option of an elective placement so we could pick where we wanted to do that but I don't think there is the option of an elective placement now. I think with some of the placements being in other areas of Scotland you can request those ones if you particularly want to go to those areas. The students now also get to spend time in a few different clinical areas which we didn't - placements include A&E, General surgery, orthopaedics, Gastroenterology, Respiratory, Cardiologt, Haematology and lots more!

In terms of study materials, I like the Oxford handbooks, also I used a few of the American PA textbooks - the library at Aberdeen had the books there. There's plenty of study material from the lectures and clinical sessions you get.

It is a full time course and you are in pretty much Monday-Friday 9-5 but will usually have time during the day at uni to study or in the evenings.

Feel free to ask any more questions you have!

QUOTE=mixa;66506148]Hi,

3. How did you manage studying and finding time to enjoy other pars of life?
    [/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone was able to get a physician associate job in central scotland after graduation such as glasgow or edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    Have international students been selected for physician associate studies in University of Aberdeen? Do international students get to work in NHS after completion of course?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, please i would appreciate any information concerning the PA program. my interview is in June.
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I wanted to check whether you were provided any stipend/salary during clinical rotation during the course period?
    Were international students part of your batch? Were they able to continue to work in UK post their course?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

hello, pls can we chat

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.