Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I had a letter from slc they have removed all my students finance saying that am not eligible because of childcare forms and forged signature. However am appealing against the decision but I wonder if anyone experience this and how did it end please help.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently appealing a decision made by the counter fraud service! For a different situation though. I have failed the first stage and it is now onto the second. Not too sure how it is going to go. Fingers crossed for us both!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Ali_Hill)
    Hi guys.

I'm in a similar situation sort of - I'm being investigated by counter fraud, but not for giving in any dodgy evidence. Last year everything was fine, and then this year I received a letter saying I was being investigated.

They asked for tenancy agreement, council tax bills, car insurance details and 12 months bank statements.

I supplied them with 3 months worth when I applied for student finance originally for my first year - so they know I was eligible.
    But they are asking for a whole year - I gave them 4 months worth, but I'm refusing to give the rest - I've bought some stuff that is very personal and sensitive to me and it shows on my statements and I don't feel comfortable with it being seen. I sent in the moth recent 4 months.

The investigator is refusing that it is enough - she wants 12 months. Because I said no, she's said she is in her right to withdraw my funding for 2015-2016! They have crawled the money back from my university and they are chasing me for £9,000 tuition and student finance are claiming back all the finance provided last year and have said they will not fund me for further study.

The investigator hadn't found I have done anything wrong! The information I provided last year was correct and I have handed over 4 months of recent statements! But she is still withdrawing funding. Has this happened to anyone before? Have you appealed!? What's happened?

Please somebody help me!
    1. You dont appear to know what you are being investigated for. I do not know whether they have to probide an indication of the claim against you.

2. You need to confirm what the powers of an investigative officer are. Whether they have the right to demand such information. I would suspect so.

3. You dont appear to wish to co operate. I suspect part of the loan agreement is you agreeing to do so. The non co operation would put you in breach.

4. You talk about buying some sensitive items. No idea what on earth they could be, so unless it was soemthing illegal like bomb making equipment I dount they give a hoot.

5. I suspect they are interested to see other forms of income going through your account. Refusal to comply with their request looks suspicious and I expect (although you cna check) that they are within their rights to cancel your finance and seek recovery.

6. I do not know the terms of reference for the appeal, so I suggest you read the appeal riles carefully. get advice from your student rep or see if a law centre will help you. If you have to then take it to CAB.

7. If you refuse to send in the 12 months as requested, then I expect they can cancel your funding. You cna aks her under what powers in the rules she is exercising this authority

My advice is to go to a law centre/ student union welfare rep or CAB, then use them as an excuse for not understanding the rules.

Give them the info they wanted, but if need be explain x items were bought and you are uncomfy revelaing such data, but would be willing to provide the rest as long as you could black these out, except for date and amount.

The non co operation with an investigation is what they found wrong. IMO
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Wow what a waste of time it was responding.

ReputationRep:
    From what I can remember, CFS is not a particularly well funded or resourced division within SLC, so I would suspect that any investigation that is carried out, is only done when there is material evidence or suspicion of fraudulent activity. Whilst I appreciate that the above posters may be entirely innocent, remember there are people (particularly in CCG claims) who do play the game with SLC and therefore, it is a responsibility of the organization to deliver value and accountability for tax payers.

That said, I wish you guys all the best in your claims and hope that an unbiased, fair and amicable resolution is reached

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali_Hill)
    Hi Darlington Viking,

The investigator said they are just running checks - they have no evidence they are following up. By law, they have to disclose any documents they have as - anything illegally obtained cannot be used. Not that I have anything that indicates wrong doing.

They have even stated that I am fully eligible for the funding but they are withdrawing simply on the basis I am not handing over my bank statements.
    I am in talks with a legal representative who has agreed that the policy they are using to withdraw funding is not applicable under certain terms, so it is felt I would be able to win my case and claim for damages done.

Not everyone is a criminal. I understand investions must be done, but if there is no evidence, you can't just withdraw somebody's life from them just because you feel like it.
    Hey there!

Sorry to here what's been described. Did they stop your funding before asking for evidence, or only after you didn't? Hope you don't mind the question and please don't think the vendetta is personal with you and the investigator. I know a lot of them, it's not a nice job, not paid very well - and highly audited, targeted and not fun to be in. Believe me, the investigators want to work with you - as they have are targeted on everything, rather than work against you

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Just reading about your funding I know it was a while ago but did you appeal and so did you win? What was the outcome. Someone very close to me is in same situation sss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kkkk77)
    Hi everyone, I had a letter from slc they have removed all my students finance saying that am not eligible because of childcare forms and forged signature. However am appealing against the decision but I wonder if anyone experience this and how did it end please help.
    Hi

I am in the same boat, could you please help me to let me know how is your situation is going?
    waiting for your response.
    Thanks in advance
    Altfhn

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am in the same situation like you, could please help me to share your experience regarding the matter and how it's end

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hi can I ask did you apeal this decision?.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody appealed a Decision against student finance.
    Student finance have said that I am note eligible because of fraudulent childcare claims. However I need dispute this any one in the same position as I have 3 months left then I finish uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hi what was your outcome and was it resolved

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.