The Student Room Group

The concept of hate crime is very stupid

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Except your own, by definition.

Ummmm... no? I can be racist towards my own and it be could classified as a hate crime. It would be unusual but by definition it's possible.

Spoiler

Original post by Mathemagicien
Those of the darker phenotype call each other the word beginning with an 'n' all the time, the offense is when there is malicious intent. Its surely worse to call someone of the darker phenotype a bastard with real hatred behind it, than use the word beginning with an 'n' in a jovial way?

I think it would be worse yes but both are morally wrong. The law doesn't cover the former I'm afraid. Though if both [physical] attacks, one with and one without racism, had malicious intentions, I would think it be better to have higher prosecutions for the racists since they've indirectly attacked the community in general as well as the individual.
Original post by 999tigger
You are free to be a racist if you want, but if you commit a crime and its racially motivated then you will get a more sever sentence.

You think racism is acceptable?

He was being sarcastic. That's the point of the quotation marks.
"The motive isn't important" is really quite a daft thing to say, and undermines the entire concept of the judicial system.
Original post by tanyapotter
"The motive isn't important" is really quite a daft thing to say, and undermines the entire concept of the judicial system.

Care to explain why its irrelevant?
Also why it undermines the concept of the judicial system?
Original post by 999tigger
Care to explain why its irrelevant?
Also why it undermines the concept of the judicial system?

What's irrelevant? I'm saying that the motive is totally relevant when deciding what punishment fits the crime. Did you misread?
Original post by tanyapotter
What's irrelevant? I'm saying that the motive is totally relevant when deciding what punishment fits the crime. Did you misread?

Yep misread. thank goodness cna go and watch soemthing now.
Reply 26
The easiest way to think of this.

A shopkeeper refuses to serve a man because the shopkeeper could not be bothered.

A shopkeeper refuses to serve a man because the man is of a different race.

Would you says that these 2 scenarios are the same?

Now let's put the murder in there.

A killer murdered a man because he was in the mood for it.

A killer murdered a man because he was of a different race.

Now is that the same?

The point is... The 1st pair is ALREADY a problem without the murder. The murder is an additional problem. And thus the hate crime is 2 problems and not 1 thus the harsher punishment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending