Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I live in a fairly small town with access to trains to get places and I've applied for around 40 jobs, no exaggeration and no replies at all. CV seems good apparently and a few have come back saying I'm not the right person. And I'm almost halfway through my summer break til I start college and I need money to do things and go places. I've got an ebay account selling some random stuff I no longer need but that isn't going to be enough to keep me going all summer. Every teenagers wants money and most realize that the only way is through a job. And that's life...

Any ideas? Also: Chores aren't an option nor is dog walking/lawn mowing. Everyone does that themselves happily round my area. And my parents friends don't have kids/already have babysitters so that's not an option either. Any suggestions?

Cheers
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Be prepared to travel. You might have to commute.
    Research well.
    Master your applications, so they are of good quality.
    Master interview technique.

If you made genuine applications for 40 suitable jobs, then think why you didnt get an interview.
    Were the applications poor?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Many employers auto-filter CVs out if they do not have all of the necessary keywords in them, so that's probably one of the reasons. Even the hiring managers who read CVs by hand expect the skills and experience from the job description to be in the CV as well.

ReputationRep:
    But I don't have experience. You can't get work without experience but you can't get experience without work. Work experience is no longer a thing where I live either.
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    Many employers auto-filter CVs out if they do not have all of the necessary keywords in them, so that's probably one of the reasons. Even the hiring managers who read CVs by hand expect the skills and experience from the job description to be in the CV as well.

ReputationRep:
    are there any charity shops locally that you could volunteer for ?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    As said above, do some volunteer work.

You need to make yourself more employable.

I bet your research, applications and interview skills could all be improved.

ReputationRep:
    ever thought about putting your CV on a "popular" job site (Reed, Monster, totaljobs)
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MaterialBoy)
    But I don't have experience. You can't get work without experience but you can't get experience without work. Work experience is no longer a thing where I live either.
    I got my first job because of my volunteering experience. Like someone above said, maybe there are local charity shops which need volunteers? You could get customer service experience that way and move onto retail (or somewhere else), while practising your interview skills.

I'd also suggest to learn a programming language of some sort, whether it's C++ or Java. Better yet, you can learn MySQL (not as demanding as programming languages) which would open up a lot of jobs in the future.

ReputationRep:
    it isnt here either apparently!
    i dont know eactly how they expect people to do it!
    i spoke to one manager and he was like 'iv not got time for it' :/

ReputationRep:
    You may have already have done this, but try going into wherever you want to work. Ask for the manager with you CV in hand, if you are able to make a good first impression they may take you more seriously. That's how I was able to get mine, after months of trying. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Here is a new way out! How about going for start-up companies?
    I am interning at TalentRocket this summer. We hand pick great companies, and give job seekers the chance to look at the culture of the companies they are thinking about applying to. You can even follow a company to get an email when they have new jobs
    You can also start a conversation with companies on our platform, which could lead to the best job you could ever ask for! You can sign up with one click on LinkedIn, and it’s completely FREE! https://talentrocket.co.uk/talent/user/join/candidate
    Feel free to contact me for more details.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So I live in a fairly small town with access to trains to get places and I've applied for around 40 jobs, no exaggeration and no replies at all. CV seems good apparently and a few have come back saying I'm not the right person. And I'm almost halfway through my summer break til I start college and I need money to do things and go places. I've got an ebay account selling some random stuff I no longer need but that isn't going to be enough to keep me going all summer. Every teenagers wants money and most realize that the only way is through a job. And that's life...

Any ideas? Also: Chores aren't an option nor is dog walking/lawn mowing. Everyone does that themselves happily round my area. And my parents friends don't have kids/already have babysitters so that's not an option either. Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Call into local companies, ask for work experience or volunteer, because without work you can't get experience right?

Thats how most people start. Obviously its not an ideal situation but what your choices are extremely limited at the moment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.