Turn on thread page Beta

34908seikj's Summer [AS revision] Bucket List watch

ReputationRep:
    I literally have no plans to do anything over the summer, so I plan on spending the time doing useful things like playing Pokemon go, and I might do some revising for next year while I'm at it.

I plan on finishing the entirety of AS-level maths this summer. Starting with C1 then moving to FP1, followed by C2 and the M1. If I still have some time left over I might throw in S1 while I'm at it. Alone side that I'd like to do some Government and politics, however It's sort of hard(ish) to study for.

C1 - Completed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Functions & Graphs - Completed
    Coordinate Geometry - Completed
    Differentiation - Completed
    Integration - Completed
    Sequences - Completed
    Towards the end of completing the Edexcel C1 past papers I was hitting 73-75 consistently.

I.Y.G.B papers: Competed - I did struggle a few questions on the 'hard' and 'extremely' hard papers.

Soloman papers: Completed - For the most part everything okay, like the I.Y.G.B papers, I struggled with a few questions.

FP1 - Completed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Series - Completed
    Complex Numbers - Completed (12/07)
    Numerical methods - Completed (14/07)
    Matices - Completed (17/07)
    Proofs by induction - Completed (19/07)
    Coordinate systems - Completed (19/07)
    So I did five FP1 past papers before calling it quits. The last three papers I got somthing like 89.3%, 91. somthing % and 96. somthing %. So I'm pretty happy where I'm at when it comes to FP1; I still have room for improvement but I have a long time to go until my exam.

C2 - Completed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Algebra and Functions - Completed
    Differentiation - Completed
    Integration - Completed
    Logarithms - Completed
    The Binomial Expansion - Completed
    Coordinate Geometry of the circle - Completed
    Trigonometry - Completed
    Sequences - Completed
    Finished C2. I'm struggling a little bit more with this Unit than I did with FP1. Going to be doing past papers for the next week or so.

I also bought a ton of books a while back, so I'd like to get through a couple of them.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John le Carré - Completed (14/07)
    Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham - N/A
    Broken Vows by Tom bower - Ongoing
    The Code book by Simib Singh - Completed
    The Communist Manifesto by Friedrich Engels - N/A
    Mein Kampf - Adolf Hitler - N/A
    The Secret Life Of Bletchley Park - Sinclair McKay - N/A
    The Rise of the robots by Martin Ford - N/A
    Some other little things to put on the proverbial checklist:

Walk the dog more, or should I say play Pokemon GO more? - Ongoing

Piss off my UKIP supporting father - Completed (14/07)(He wanted Gove to become Prime minister, I wanted may. Needless to say I've been mocking him all day about Gove being fired.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (He doesn't really support UKIP, he supports Labor [I'm a tory], but he wanted to leave the EU so **** him, he's practically UKIP)
    Reach 100,000 on the CTAM thread before summer ends, we're at 97,400 right now (highly doubtful of this, but one can hope...) - Completed Go to wales sometime during the summer and chill out on the beach

Do some sort of marathon, preferably a 10k.

Find work experience - I think I need to start looking to pump up my PS and CV a little bit

Cook a BBQ - we have all the equipment and stuff, but we haven’t done it in years and since we’re going to be having a nice heatwave this week I thought I would be a nice Idea. - Completed

Start playing chess again - I used to be really ****ed good at it. With college coming up, and sure they will have some sort of chess tournament their so I’d like to get back into mah groove and start playing again - I haven’t played for a good 2-3 years. - Completed

Chill out with my greek neighbours - They aren’t even Greek, they’re from Cyprus and I’m sure they’d be offended If I were to call them Greek lol. My neighbours have grandsons and a granddaughter, every other summer they come and live with them for 2-3 weeks. I literally grew seeing them 2-3 weeks every two years. I even remember when their granddaughter was born - she's 10. They grow up so fast. :O. - Completed

Clothes shopping - I need a new clothes apparently. idk, idc. - Completed

Change log
    Spoiler:
    Show
    14/07 - I stopped reading 'Broken vows' in favour of reading 'The code book'

17/07 - Added "Do some sort of marathon, preferably a 10k" to the list of things to do this summer.

17/07 - Finished covering Matrices in FP1, and am now starting Proof by induction.

17/07 - Added "Find work experience"

18/07 - Added "Cook a BBQ"

18/07 - Added "Start playing chess again"

18/07 - Added "Chill out with my greek neighbours"

18/07 - Added " Clothes shopping"

19/07 - I finished proofs by induction and coordinate systems and techncailly FP1 - although I've finished covering it, I still have to do every past paper in existance for it.

So I was banned and during my forced hiatious I did a ton of things: Started playing chess, had a BBQ, started AND almost completed C2 as well as finishing my book.

02/08 - Set the CTAM target to completed - It's a shame we reached it while I was banned.

2/08 - Finished covering sequences which was the last topic I had to cover in C2, meaning I've also finished C2

ReputationRep:
    slow down with the maths, you've got a whole year to learn it and as you already know it isn't that difficult to pick up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyz9856)
    slow down with the maths, you've got a whole year to learn it and as you already know it isn't that difficult to pick up
    I'm good at maths and It's enjoyably, I'd rather focus on other subjects in school, like A2 maths
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I joke

Like I said [AS] maths is enjoyable and I literally have nothing else to do. I might consider going on a little maths hiatus after I finish C2 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    I'm good at maths and It's enjoyably, I'd rather focus on other subjects in school, like A2 maths
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I joke
    Like I said [AS] maths is enjoyable and I literally have nothing else to do. I might consider going on a little maths hiatus after I finish C2 though.
    enjoy the sunshine

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as you look like you'll find next year easy academically, perhaps start looking into future courses at uni and begin doing/planning stuff that you could put on your PS. But its not necessary so just chill out and enjoy your summer cause next years one is very short and boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyz9856)
    enjoy the sunshine
    I actually won't. Right now I'm taking my brother to and from school, but once it's over I plan on changing my sleep schedule so I sleep during the day and I'm awake during the night. I do it most summers.

Looking forward to it more than ever though because of Pokemon go. Nobody will be around (in the street) so I can literally go wherever. I'm also generally more productive at night, I don't know why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Seeing as you look like you'll find next year easy academically, perhaps start looking into future courses at uni and begin doing/planning stuff that you could put on your PS. But its not necessary so just chill out and enjoy your summer cause next years one is very short and boring.
    I was looking into volunteering at a dog shelter, as I love dogs. Not sure how that will help me compared to other things I could be doing, when it comes to extracurricular actives on a UCAS application.

I want to do either PPE or mathematics, so I'm not really sure what kind of extracurriculars I could do, that would help with my PS. I do plan on reading quite a few books that are politically motivated which I can talk to. While I don't plan on reading any this summer, throughout the year I could also read some math-y books as well.

ReputationRep:
    Your plan 34908seikj is to browse TSR all day every day

ReputationRep:
    I was looking into volunteering at a dog shelter, as I love dogs. Not sure how that will help me compared to other things I could be doing, when it comes to extracurricular actives on a UCAS application.

I want to do either PPE or mathematics, so I'm not really sure what kind of extracurriculars I could do, that would help with my PS. I do plan on reading quite a few books that are politically motivated which I can talk to. While I don't plan on reading any this summer, throughout the year I could also read some math-y books as well.
    Sounds good and your looking very well prepared for A level. Good luck with your studies tho I'm sure you wont need it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    Your plan 34908seikj is to browse TSR all day every day
    I just leave it open and reap the reps baby!

ReputationRep:
    Week one : Day four

So, Day one is starting from 10pm. Just got back from playing Pokemon GO, oh and walking the dog. Horrible. Horrible Horrible. I walked for almost two hours and found two Pokemon one of which I couldn’t get.

The first Pokemon I encounter was midway through my walk, I unfortunately have no idea what type it was and was unable to get it as it was in an ally, like one of those fenced off, scary looking alleyways, usually behind terrace houses, where they put the bins out and such. I didn’t fancy being covered, literally head-to-toe in anti-vandal paint. I mean I’m so unfit, me trying to scale a fence covered in anti-vandal pain would result in me looking like black-face, all for the sake of one Pokemon? No thanks.
    Ah, now for the interesting part of my walk - As you know already, I actually found [and caught] a Pokemon nonetheless, the plot thickens! I also encounter a baby fox, cute little thing. I think it’s the first time I’ve seen one in years.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Apologies for the appalling picture quality, it was running away and I only had one hand available. The dog wanted to chase the poor guy, she’s quite aggressive with animals that are smaller than her, she probably would have tried to kill the little fella . Precisely 5 footsteps after the fox ran away into the shadows, I encountered it, a ****ing Pidgey, pretty underwhelming actually, as I was already on my way home and no longer cared about catching a Pokemon, but it was nice.

After I got back in the house, I was greeted by my father who gave me a book (annoyingly) It’s an interesting book ‘The Code Book’ by Simon Singh, I’d just picked up a new book ‘Broken Vows’ yesterday, It’s about the Blairinator and his, well, Broken vows I guess. I ended up deciding to bench ‘Boken vows’ in favour of ‘The Code Book’.

Now, like a Tarantino flick, we shall start at the beginning.

I got up at 4:30am, which was horrible, I’d worked up far too early because I’d went to bed too early that night. Didn’t really get much done, Just browsed the Reddit, read the news from the BBC at finished of watching ‘The thick off it’ - It’s the second time I’ve watched the series now. At 7am, I finally got ready to take my **** Brother to school which he was due in at 8:30am. I enjoy doing it, £50 a week to take him too and from school for a month isn’t bad lol, It get’s me out the house as well.

Once back which is usually around quarter to 9am, I set up to revise. I’d planned on finishing the ‘Numerical methods’ chapter of FP1. It’s incredibly boring, it involves the Newton-Raphson iteration & estimating roots, that kind of stuff. Although It did take me longer than I anticipated to finish, I’m not too sure why, maybe I just procrastinated for too long during my breaks throughout the day. My workload wasn’t large so I should have been able to complete it before lunch. I finished the chapter at around 4:30pm, after having to pick up my brother. - Oh that’s right I got banned from TSR for spam (long story, sort of, not really a long story though) I spend a bunch of time sorting that out which explains it!

I decided to take an hour break since I was feeling a little tired from waking up so early, that quickly turned into a 2 hour break, which in turn, turned into a 3 hour break and dinner. ****. I literally spend all that time on TSR. Ended up dragging myself back to my desk to start a new chapter ‘matrices’ at around 8:30pm. I’ve only briefly touched on the subject, but it’s a new concept and it seems interesting, so i’m looking forward to tomorrow, when I can dedicate some time to them. At 10pm I stop working no matter what, I start getting tired and burnt out and make too many mistakes. Which brings me to the start of my post; at 10pm I go out for a walk…

ReputationRep:
    Week one : Day five

I’m going to actually try and structure these updates from now on, my first update which was yesterday was a ****ing fiasco, I’ve dubbed it the Tarantino fiasco. The morning was exactly the same as yesterdays and the day before that, and the day before that… I woke up at 7am, took my brother to school at 8:30am and ready to revise for 9am.

Except that didn’t happen, I got slightly preoccupied when I got home. I always let the dog out to do her ‘business’ when I get back home, but nope, he decided to not do that, but dig a whole, a really large hole. It was probably the size of an adult Human head and the all the dirt displaced from that hole, coincidentally was all over her. So I had to stick her in the shower, which she hates - It ended up taking me almost an hour and a half just to shower her.And it wasn’t until around 11am that I got to sit down at start revising.

I’d finished Numerical methods the day before, and was starting Matrices. Now, let me just preface and say, they’re fascinating, they’re pretty ****ing cool. I actually covered quite a lot of the chapter today, I managed to master basic addition and multiplication [the basics] of matrices within the hour, all before lunch. Although, I haven’t quite got the hang of multiplication, not that I’m struggling with it, just more not used to it yet; it doesn’t come second nature to me, I have to think about what I’m doing. After lunch I spent from 1pm to 2pm procrastinating, doing literally nothing but browsing TSR

I decided to leave the house an hour early, at 2pm to pick up my bother, so I could cram in some more Pokemon GO time. I think it’s safe to say, I’m an addict. Not really going to go into too much detail about it because quite frankly, writing about Pokemon GO twice a day is going to get pretty repetitive. After I got back home, at around 4pm I went back to revising my newly beloved matrices - learning about determinants of matrices and the inverse of matrices. Which is where I’m up to now, while I’ve covered that stuff, I still have a few questions to complete. I’m going to hopefully be able to finish the questions tomorrow as I’m too tired to do them now.

Todays revision session, if you will ended right before dinner [curry :yum: ]. After dinner I didn’t do much, just read mah book. The book [The code book by Simon singh] is delightful. I’ve only read the first couple of chapters which are on the topic of cyphers, codes and steganography used throughout history [not including modern history].We use mathematics and methods of ciphering text that were developed, pioneered hundreds, even thousands of years ago, dating back as far as the earlyish era of Ancient Egypt to how the Persian invasion of Greece and Sparta was foiled by somebody writing the Persians plans on a tablet, then using wax to conceal the text.Or my personal favourite:

“In the sixteenth century, Italian scientist Giovanni Porta described how to conceal a message within a hard-boiled egg by making an ink from a mixture of one ounce of alum and a pint of vinegar, and then using it to write on the shell. The solution penetrates the porous shell, and leaves a message on the surface of the hardened egg albumen, which can be read only when the shell is removed.” - Genius

Now lets set in my time machine and skip to 10pm. More Pokemon GO. I’ve literally spend the last two hours, from 10pm to 12am walking around the city; even sneaking into a park trying to catch em’ all. Going out when nobody is around is probably the best way to play the game, or at least when you’re just starting off. I managed to hit around 8 different Pokestops and found around 9-12 Pokemon. On top of that, I finally managed to reach level 5 only to my disappointment. I headed over to my local Pokegym, joined team Valor and was ready to fight, then I nope-ed right out of there. Some ****er at my local gym has a Pokemon with some stupid crazy CP level, it was in the low 800s, something like 812cp. To put that into context, the highest CP for a Pokemon I have is 138. Yet again I feel inadequate. I ended up heading home after that and here am now…

ReputationRep:
    Week one : Day six

This post will be quite short - or at least I hope it will be, I’m far too tired to type a long post and also my day was literally like the last two days, gets really boring trying to go through the same day over and over again. I’ll probably make a larger post at the end of the week [tomorrow] going over the the entirety of this week, like a little recap of events. -

- Maths: I made a lot of progress today with matrices, i’ve covered how to solve simulations equations with them, but that was all boring compared to what I found out to day; some simultaneous equations can’t be solved - they have no solution. Looking back now it makes so much sense, I can’t believe I didn’t know this before. So the two equations you’re given, they can obviously be plotted onto a graph, and you can solve them graphically by finding the points of intersection. Now, what if the two equations that you’re given have the same gradient? You guessed it… there are no solutions as the graphs don't meet. It’s sort of like a ‘no shit’, it’s actually quite frustrating that I didn’t realise or even know this before.

- Book: Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to read any of it today since I spent all my time during my breaks from revision to ‘stalk’ - her words not mine PrincessBO$$. I’m probably going to have to not go on TSR and not get distracted if I want to make progress reading it.

- Pokemon GO: I walked 5km today, took two hours found lots of Pokemon, the usual, however I did find quite a rare one ‘Jynx’ it has 344cp and is now my best pokemon in my collection by far. I also have an egg that requires me to walk 10km to hatch it, I picked it up on my way back so I’ve only walked 2km with it.

ReputationRep:
    Week one : Day six

This post will be quite short - or at least I hope it will be, I’m far too tired to type a long post and also my day was literally like the last two days, gets really boring trying to go through the same day over and over again. I’ll probably make a larger post at the end of the week [tomorrow] going over the the entirety of this week, like a little recap of events. -

- Maths: I made a lot of progress today with matrices, i’ve covered how to solve simulations equations with them, but that was all boring compared to what I found out to day; some simultaneous equations can’t be solved - they have no solution. Looking back now it makes so much sense, I can’t believe I didn’t know this before. So the two equations you’re given, they can obviously be plotted onto a graph, and you can solve them graphically by finding the points of intersection. Now, what if the two equations that you’re given have the same gradient? You guessed it… there are no solutions. It’s sort of like a ‘no shit’, it’s actually quite frustrating that I didn’t realise or even know this before.

- Book: Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to read any of it today since I spent all my time during my breaks from revision to ‘stalk’ - her words not mine PrincessBO$$. I’m probably going to have to not go on TSR and not get distracted if I want to make progress reading it.

- Pokemon GO: I walked 5km today, took two hours found lots of Pokemon, the usual, however I did find quite a rare one ‘Jynx’ it has 344cp and is now my best pokemon in my collection by far. I also have an egg that requires me to walk 10km to hatch it, I picked it up on my way back so I’ve only walked 2km with it.
    Why tag me?
    5km? Omg?! Are you fit yet?:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Why tag me?
    5km? Omg?! Are you fit yet?:mmm:
    You're distracting me! You must stop!

AND One does not simply get fit!

ReputationRep:
    You're distracting me! You must stop!

AND One does not simply get fit!
    What exams do you have? and you're lucky you haven't seen me in person? I'm more 'distracting' in real life

I see. You're unfit.

ReputationRep:
    What exams do you have? and you're lucky you haven't seen me in person? I'm more 'distracting' in real life

I see. You're unfit.
    I don't have any exams, it's for next years AS...

No, you said 'are you fit yet', my reply was implying one has to keep said fitness not just cross the line from 'not fit' to 'fit'.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any exams, it's for next years AS...

No, you said 'are you fit yet', my reply was implying one has to keep said fitness not just cross the line from 'not fit' to 'fit'
    Wow. You're an early bird?

Accept that you are unfit my friend

ReputationRep:
    Wow. You're an early bird?

Accept that you are unfit my friend
    I have accepted it, as it the first step to recovery.

Damn, I'm not even that unfit though.... Like I could probably run a 10k. I'd die if I attempted an actual marathon though

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, ur amazing

Already revising and doing work and reading bloody hell

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.