The Student Room Group

BREXIT: Letter from Angela Eagle

Thank you for writing to me regarding the current situation in the Labour Party, and my decision to stand as Labour leader.

Over recent days and weeks I have received thousands of emails from members of the public across the country about the party. It is understandable that both Labour members and non-members feel strongly about the current situation in the party, and I welcome a debate about its future. While we may have disagreements on the best way forward for our party, I hope we can agree to respect each other’s opinions and engage in constructive and respectful debate.

When Jeremy Corbyn was first elected as Labour leader, I put myself forward to serve in his Shadow Cabinet, and I was honoured to have the opportunity to serve as Shadow First Secretary of State and Shadow Business Secretary. I dedicated myself to these roles for 9 months, and it was with great sadness that, following the EU referendum result, I concluded that Jeremy was no longer the right person to lead our party.

Under Jeremy’s leadership, I do not believe that we have been sufficiently effective in holding the government to account. Even at a time of crisis for the Tory party and the country, Labour has been unable to demonstrate that we are an alternative government. If we let this carry on we’ll be letting down the communities that most need a Labour government.

Clause 1 of the Labour Party’s constitution outlines our purpose, “to organise and maintain in Parliament and in the country a political Labour Party.”

Unfortunately this is not happening under Jeremy’s leadership. The local election results were a real disappointment, where we lost a number of local councillors. And in the recent referendum campaign Jeremy demonstrated either a lack of leadership or a lack of enthusiasm for remaining in the EU - or indeed both badly letting down the next generation who were overwhelmingly supportive of our continued membership.

In such turbulent times, we need a leader who can unite rather than divide the Labour Party. We need a leader who can hold the Tories to account, provide a genuine alternative, and who can convince the country that we understand their concerns and aspirations. We need a Leader who can heal the deep divisions in our country, stand up for our communities, and ultimately to keep our United Kingdom together.

I would not have put myself forward as leader if I did not believe I could be that person. I have been a member of the Labour party since the age of 16, a Labour MP for 24 years, and I have spent most of my life campaigning on behalf of the Labour party and the wider labour movement. I joined the party as a response to the myriad injustices I saw in our society, in the knowledge that only Labour Governments could challenge these failings. This drive to win general elections in order to reform the country for the better is still what guides my politics, and my decision to stand for the Labour leadership.

But this campaign is not just about me. It’s about the millions of people who reply on a strong and united Labour Party to hold the Tories’ feet to the fire and to present an alternative and ambitious offer to the country.

Thank you once again for writing to me.

Yours sincerely, Angela Angela Eagle MP

Member of Parliament for Wallasey

PS: If you would like to get involved in my campaign you can do so here:
http://angelaeagle.nationbuilder.com/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I think she actually is way better than may.
Reply 2
Original post by FredOrJohn
I think she actually is way better than may.

Comres disagrees with you
It’s about the millions of people who reply on a strong and united Labour Party to hold the Tories’ feet to the fire

i knew there was a reason not to vote Labor *

:afraid:*
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
i knew there was a reason not to vote Labor *

:afraid:*

Perhaps you should now!
Perhaps you should now!

holding people's feet to the fire sounds like an ISIS technique... :dontknow: *
Reply 6
I have no idea what you mean by holding someones feet. Sorry Its over my head - do you mean the god queen of Egypt or one of the names of terrorist group in Syria - your post is a bit confused and "in the know" type thing - I'm not in that group
Reply 7
I have no idea what you mean by holding someones feet. Sorry Its over my head - do you mean the god queen of Egypt or one of the names of terrorist group in Syria - your post is a bit confused and "in the know" type thing - I'm not in that group

You're not in the know?

You've only just realised?

We've been telling you that for weeks...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending