Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seen a nice flat but the agent says 3 year contract with 2 year break clause. He says he'll try for 12 months instead but is this excessive? Flat's in London.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    LL can ask for whatever terms he wants.
    Depends how desiravle the flat is.
    Have a look at other flats, there should be plenty prepared to rent for a year.

Agents are often not reputable so it could all be a ruse.

You wish to rent for less than a year?

ReputationRep:
    No twelve months is fine but my guarantor says 3 years is unreasonable when we dont know if the landlord is any good or if one of us may want to leave.

It's a decent flat, my friends are very keen
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by suedonim)
    No twelve months is fine but my guarantor says 3 years is unreasonable when we dont know if the landlord is any good or if one of us may want to leave.

It's a decent flat, my friends are very keen
    Your guarantor has a point, but it is LL choice who to let to.

If you dont like it then refuse.

If he feels he really wants you then he will alter his terms.

Its about bargaining power.

You dont give the relevant information in the OP, but am going to plump for you being students. In that case why would you wnat to take on a 3 year commitment, when you only need it for a year. If he wont change (dont whine about him being unreasonable) do say that considering you are students you cant commit to that period. the agent can talk.to LL. LL may rent to workers.

Just find another flat. You did say break after 2 years, whcih is the first time you could leave.

ReputationRep:
    Would not recommend renting for a contract tor such a long period. Your circumstances can change and you might be stuck. *Norm for a contract is 1year. *Why does the landlord want a contract for 3 years with you if you are students and likely to want to move on? *Is the rent cheap or is it just a nice flat? Think it through before signing it.*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 21, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.