Rental advice - year contract Watch

suedonim
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Seen a nice flat but the agent says 3 year contract with 2 year break clause. He says he'll try for 12 months instead but is this excessive? Flat's in London.
999tigger
  • Very Important Poster
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
LL can ask for whatever terms he wants.
Depends how desiravle the flat is.
Have a look at other flats, there should be plenty prepared to rent for a year.

Agents are often not reputable so it could all be a ruse.

You wish to rent for less than a year?
suedonim
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
No twelve months is fine but my guarantor says 3 years is unreasonable when we dont know if the landlord is any good or if one of us may want to leave.

It's a decent flat, my friends are very keen
999tigger
  • Very Important Poster
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by suedonim)
No twelve months is fine but my guarantor says 3 years is unreasonable when we dont know if the landlord is any good or if one of us may want to leave.

It's a decent flat, my friends are very keen
Your guarantor has a point, but it is LL choice who to let to.

If you dont like it then refuse.

If he feels he really wants you then he will alter his terms.

Its about bargaining power.

You dont give the relevant information in the OP, but am going to plump for you being students. In that case why would you wnat to take on a 3 year commitment, when you only need it for a year. If he wont change (dont whine about him being unreasonable) do say that considering you are students you cant commit to that period. the agent can talk.to LL. LL may rent to workers.

Just find another flat. You did say break after 2 years, whcih is the first time you could leave.
Simonthegreat
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would not recommend renting for a contract tor such a long period. Your circumstances can change and you might be stuck. *Norm for a contract is 1year. *Why does the landlord want a contract for 3 years with you if you are students and likely to want to move on? *Is the rent cheap or is it just a nice flat? Think it through before signing it.*
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever experienced bullying?

Yes (233)
77.67%
No (67)
22.33%

Watched Threads