Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Magiccarpet, I have seen that you're worried about the status of APU for law as you have said that you can't go far due to medical reasons. I hope this is correct. Would it not be better to wait another year and see how things go from there? A year to sacrifice is not a lot considering your excellent A level grades.
    thanks about my grades no i think it'll be ok. someone i know went there but changed to London College of Law or something for the LPC. they said APU was crap at helping them prepare for panel interviews the big companies conduct. the london one taught then how to set out the CV in a way the london firms like, which apu didnt teach. they now have a traineeship with Clifford Chance. they had the same problems i had, where they moved to canterbury christ church uni, but changed to APU to live at home despite winning grades at A level.

also, im going to apu in chelmsford, where there is a massive number of solicitors firms. many of these sponsor various awards for good grades etc, which can lead to offers of a traineeship later. this is what i think i'll do, as i have no intention of working for the london firms. did you know they actually have dorms onsite so you can sllep there then get up for mor mor works!!! give me Weight Wolney and Trusler anytime!!!

but i cannot believe im the only person going APU!!!

ReputationRep:
    Dorms can be quite useful. I have known someone to sleep over at his workplace to save petrol costs. Since he lives on his own I guess it's not that much of a big deal, but it's up to the person concerned.

Sponsorship is an important aspect to consider. Because of my interests I may have to consider London myself.

It seems you're happy with APU after all. Don't worry about other people, it's you that counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Dorms can be quite useful. I have known someone to sleep over at his workplace to save petrol costs. Since he lives on his own I guess it's not that much of a big deal, but it's up to the person concerned.

Sponsorship is an important aspect to consider. Because of my interests I may have to consider London myself.

It seems you're happy with APU after all. Don't worry about other people, it's you that counts.
    thanks. but what astounds me is that people are willing to make Law their life, not just their career! i dont care how much im getting paid, for me the whole point of having an enjoyable job is to make money to enjoy the rest of my time with eg my husband, any children i might have etc.are you doing the LPC or the BVC? in london, i think perhaps the congestion charge, the cost of travel, the general cost of living nearby would outweigh most of the wage benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    but what astounds me is that people are willing to make Law their life, not just their career!
    Some people do overdo it. I was told that what makes a good lawyer is that you have a life outside law. But if you're that passionate about law perhaps this can be a good sign. Judges also have dorms I believe, handy to keep all the work stuff at work and all that luggage!

i dont care how much im getting paid, for me the whole point of having an enjoyable job is to make money to enjoy the rest of my time with eg my husband, any children i might have etc.
    Job satisfaction is a major factor and not some numbers after the £ sign.

are you doing the LPC or the BVC?
    Neither. I do prefer the BVC compared to the LPC though. I'm going to find out if the Chartered Institute of Patent Agents have a different route, since Legal Executives do as well.

in london, i think perhaps the congestion charge, the cost of travel, the general cost of living nearby would outweigh most of the wage benefits.
    It depends where you live in London though. Perhaps live outside London or on the edge like Croydon and use a decent scooter (125cc or less) to get to work. It has been known to work out cheaper and/or more desirable than the tube.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.