The Student Room Group

Help! how long till i can start a nursing course

After much thought and consideration, and going from awful job to awful job i have now decided that i really want to be a nurse. I need a little help when can i start a course at uni for this. At college i did BTEC level 3 in beauty therapy Sciences i got grade MMM which is equivalent of BBB in a levels. I want to do adult nursing. Do i have to wait a WHOLE YEAR till i can start learning and will they even accept me. I have 10 gcses grade A-C including english and maths too. someone please give me some advice x
Reply 1
Original post by teenyweenymouse
After much thought and consideration, and going from awful job to awful job i have now decided that i really want to be a nurse. I need a little help when can i start a course at uni for this. At college i did BTEC level 3 in beauty therapy Sciences i got grade MMM which is equivalent of BBB in a levels. I want to do adult nursing. Do i have to wait a WHOLE YEAR till i can start learning and will they even accept me. I have 10 gcses grade A-C including english and maths too. someone please give me some advice x

I think MMM is the equivalent of CCC at Alevel, so you might want to check that! Getting into nursing is really competitive, you will need to have some recent (and fairly extensive) care experience to get into most places. Also how long ago did you leave college? You will need to show most places you have studied within the last 3 years. Also be prepared to justify why you did your BTEC - again many unis ask for science Alevels or health/social care. They may ask you to do an access course for a year before they'll consider your application. There are university's that offer March/April entry, and some may still have places but it will be a case of ringing round universities where you think you meet the entry requirements to see if they have places left.
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by teenyweenymouse

It depends how long ago you were at college. Most unis want previous study in the last few years (how long depends on their individual policy) so you will also need to take into account how long it has been since you left college. The vast majority of nursing applicants will have a health and social care or science BTEC, and many universities stipulate that the BTEC must be health-related. Although you have sufficient UCAS points to apply to quite a few universities, *I would be very surprised if you were offered a place based on a beauty therapy BTEC.

I would advise to look into an access course which would bring you up to standard with biology, chemistry, maths and english as GCSE level isn't really enough to tackle the academic side of the course. You will also need to get some work experience and volunteering in caring roles to help support your application. I would recommend that you are better off using this year to make yourself the best nursing applicant you can be, rather than trying to start as soon as possible and potentially struggle with the degree.
I don't think there is anything wrong with applying now. It is very possible that because of missed deadlines and courses being full or not meeting requirements, you may get knock backs, but it will ensure that you have an understanding of what you need to do to ensure that you are successful next time. Just going through the application process, possibly tests and interviews if you get that far, you might be in a far better position next time. And who knows? Maybe right now is your time. Let us know what you decide. Good luck!
Thanks everyone :smile:
I never did an access course but I've worked quite a lot with students who were on them while I was a nursing student. From what they said about the course, it sounded very good preparation for a nursing degree. I think you are best to wait, also, and I think @Charlotte49 has some excellent advice for you. Nothing more I can add!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending