Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Continuation of the Google review)

Where do I begin. Firstly when we all tried to sign up using the website we could not because apparently they were "upgrading" their systems so we all had to ring so this was the first annoyance.Secondly after we chased them since they have 0 communication, they decided to tell us we needed to get the old tenants living at the property to cancel their virgin account so they could set one up, which we did, (i'll get back to this later).thirdly even though we singed up around a month before moving in they communicated nothing with us until we rang them 4 days before moving in to see how things were going, in which case they then replied we had to find out who the current suppliers of gas and electricity at the property were.. (i'll also get back to this)Fourth they communicate on the website how "easy" it is and that they are cheaper (they aren't by the way) however in our case in 1 month they actually did nothing, like literally nothing. So after we rang them 4days before moving in to check on things and they told us they basically "couldn't" do anything we then decided to cancel.... to which they then reply all 5 of us had to confirm we wanted to cancel 1 person for the group couldn't just do it... so we got the cancellation email on the 28/6/16 and 4 of us replied within an hour and the 5th replied 24hours later (we have the email in the sentbox as proof; again i'll come back to this point)So ringing to cancel should have been as simple as 1 phone call and a few emails right?Well.... we rang to cancel on the Monday they went ahead and still set up a virgin account for the property on the Friday (we know this because the old tenants didn't cancel their account until the Thursday so the earliest they could possibly set up a new one was Friday), thus blocking our ability to set things up ourselves... so this was another phonecall to get them to cancel the virgin account they should never have set up in the first place. Then we heard nothing back from them regarding the cancellation so we rang up yet again to which they say the final flatmate didn't send the cancellation email for 5 days and that is why it had not been finalised (a lie to get out of their **** up)... I have an email from them on the 6/7/16 FINALLY saying things are "underway" so that's around 8 days after we had to chase them yet again for them to say cancelling things are "underway".

Also 5 days after us moving in we get a cancellation letter from our gas an electric supplier (npower) even though we only set up the account 6days prior. SO it turns out Spark energy who supplies the gas an electric for split the bills has taken over our gas an electric supply without our permission... EVEN though we cancelled split the bills 2 weeks ago at this point.. so we then have to ring split the bills, spark energy and npower to sort it out, to which Spark apologise and say this should not have occurred, and they would investigate to find out why.. But too little too late because now it can take up to 90days for us to transfer back to npower when we never wanted to leave in the first place... this also cancelled the contract tariff and direct debit we had with npower, so now when we return we may be paying more for our gas and electric than we were before, because we got the prior tariff on deal. Spark also said we didn't need to find out who the current gas and electric at the suppliers were, even though sadly we were told over the phone we had to... however unlike the cancellation BS, due to it being over the phone I can't prove this... However I do have the letter from npower in which I can photo and provide. I say this because I am going to provide photo evidence of emails and letters to anyone who requests, so that I can prove my claims. Oh and when we rang split the bills AGAIN about 48hours ago they said we are going to have to pay 30days of gas and electric to Spark energy on god knows what tariff... so essentially they can charge us what they want.

For the pleasure of all this they want a cancellation fee too (which even now they refuse to say how much until the "supply team" has worked it out, for what they have done they are owed nothing, and to boot over the phone like I said, when we rang 4days before move in they had literally set up nothing!? so i'm unsure what cancellation fee they want here...) for causing us all an untold amount of stress to the point where one of our flatmates is needing counselling and Dr appointments due to the financial stress they have caused. As a student we all know the budget is tight and the financial uncertainty/stress they have caused, has lead to health issues.

Overall their handling of this and treatment, is beyond ridiculous (since they don't give a **** the impact their actions have on others), and so please anyone considering DO NOT go through with them, what they do should be against the law, they will cost you so much time, stress, effort, and money it is not worth it. It is so so easy to just ring npower or whatever and ring a water company and set things up yourself it takes literally 5 minutes. Also with regards the energy situation split the bills tried to blame npower... and after the conversation with split the bills in which they detail how they have ****ed us over with the gas and electric, we were told over the phone to "have a nice day" and din't even get an apology.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of this could have been avoided if you'd paid closer attention to what was expected of you.

i have used this company and so know full well all the starting emails and information they give out.

Firstly you have to set up your account at least 6 weeks in advance to the move in date and they make this very clear, this isn't because split the bills are lazy and can't be bothered setting things up. This is because they have to liaise with 3 or 4 utilities providers, switch names, switch payments and get everything set up. Usually it's split the bills waiting for the previous suppliers to get back to them, not the other way round. This takes time. You would have had the same problems had you tried to change suppliers yourself without split the bills, it's a length pain in the arse.

As for having to wait for the previous tenants to cancel their virgin media package. That is virgin media policy not STB's, and they're pretty clear about this in the beginning as well when they tell you all the information you need and what you need to do to get the bills all set up. This is not something that can be avoided really unless the previous tenants weren't with virgin.

They are also very clear that you have to allow iirc 30 day to cancel your account, this again is because they are liaising with the suppliers and things are already set in motion. Whether you cancelled the day before or not.

I'd agree some things did not go according to plan and should have been handled better by split the bills, but you are also partially to blame. You did not sign up early enough for things to get sorted in time and you did not really allow any time for things to go through and cancelled very quickly causing yourself more problems.

I've been with split the bills and I have also been with bill providers separately setting up ourselves. I can safely say since I read all the instructions STB gave us and made sure to allow them time to set things up that STB does take away a lot of hassle for students and protects people in house shares from having house mates not pay bills as every house mate is liable for their share. Which is exactly what STB is there for.

Not saying they are perfect by any means, but to be honest it sounds like you made a right dogs ear out of this yourself in some ways.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I would just opt to live in uni halls for my second and third year or find a place on my own

ReputationRep:
    Right so first of all the website says 4-6 weeks not just "6weeks" secondly as for the "allowing for cancellation" when we rang to cancel they said nothing had been set up so it should not be a problem, HOWEVER AFTER the fact when we had already put in we want to cancel they THEN set up the virgin account AND the gas an electric AFTER THE FACT, NOT BEFORE (as stated the previous tenants only cancelled their account on the Thursday and we put in to cancel the Monday BEFORE, so why are they then setting up a virgin account?) . The allowing 30days to cancel thing even though we have had to have around 6-8 phone calls with them they did not mention? so much for "very clear". Also i'll re-state this when we rang to cancel on the Monday NOTHING had been set up, so what are we waiting 30days for them to do exactly?

To take your own point also if we indeed "did not sign up early enough" which may have been the case, the 0 communication in 1month until we chased them was not great, also they told us one thing and Spark told us another. Thirdly if you had read properly when we first tried to sign up we could not due to them "upgrading" their systems, therefore any of this "clear information" you state is pretty hard to read when their pile of **** website wasn't working properly. The only thing on our part is potentially not giving them 4years to set things up, everything else however is THEM!

And then yeah you agree things did not go to plan.. that's an understatement and by my and the other google one star reviews I would say we are not the only ones.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    A lot of this could have been avoided if you'd paid closer attention to what was expected of you.

i have used this company and so know full well all the starting emails and information they give out.

Firstly you have to set up your account at least 6 weeks in advance to the move in date and they make this very clear, this isn't because split the bills are lazy and can't be bothered setting things up. This is because they have to liaise with 3 or 4 utilities providers, switch names, switch payments and get everything set up. Usually it's split the bills waiting for the previous suppliers to get back to them, not the other way round. This takes time. You would have had the same problems had you tried to change suppliers yourself without split the bills, it's a length pain in the arse.

As for having to wait for the previous tenants to cancel their virgin media package. That is virgin media policy not STB's, and they're pretty clear about this in the beginning as well when they tell you all the information you need and what you need to do to get the bills all set up. This is not something that can be avoided really unless the previous tenants weren't with virgin.

They are also very clear that you have to allow iirc 30 day to cancel your account, this again is because they are liaising with the suppliers and things are already set in motion. Whether you cancelled the day before or not.

I'd agree some things did not go according to plan and should have been handled better by split the bills, but you are also partially to blame. You did not sign up early enough for things to get sorted in time and you did not really allow any time for things to go through and cancelled very quickly causing yourself more problems.

I've been with split the bills and I have also been with bill providers separately setting up ourselves. I can safely say since I read all the instructions STB gave us and made sure to allow them time to set things up that STB does take away a lot of hassle for students and protects people in house shares from having house mates not pay bills as every house mate is liable for their share. Which is exactly what STB is there for.

Not saying they are perfect by any means, but to be honest it sounds like you made a right dogs ear out of this yourself in some ways.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going with Split the Bills next year, but I've heard that they're okay?

I went with Dividabill this year and my god... I would not recommend. Basically they went into liquidation recently and that left us in limbo for 2 months, not knowing what was going on at all And despite living by myself for the last month, my bills have still been high

ReputationRep:
    I've used Split the Bills 2 years now, and I have no problems with them. Everything was set up 4 weeks before and running smoothly until now Im inn my final year. When they change my subscription to Spark Energy I received an email and letter about it. All in all the experience wasn't bad, they would inform me of changes and I always get them when I need them.

ReputationRep:
    Would you mind letting me know what you had to pay in cacellelation fees? I'm in an awkward position with them right now and when I asked what the cancellation fee would be he said it could be up to £600?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.