The Student Room Group

Sever anxiety and feeling alone?

Hey guys. I'm not 100% why I'm posting this, because I never post on forums and I have nothing to ask, but I feel the urge to 'get out there'.

So I'm 20-years-old and I have terrible anxiety (since I was 16 on and off) which has recently got quite severe, in the way that I'm fighting back panic attacks 3 times a day and constantly feel mentally exhausted.

I'm scared of everything. This September I'm going back to college to do an access course, I'm finally going to move up in the world and do more. But I'm starting to feel I won't make it. My anxiety is getting worse and worse and the doctors can only prescribe medication (which makes me insane! SSRI's messed me up completely, I now have beta blockers but I'm trying to avoid as they help in the moment but make me worse later) or offer me some half-a counselling. I feel like I'm just going to spiral till I'm insane before things will get better. I feel like it's not if I break but when.

Also, I have a boyfriend and a very supportive family (that know about my anxiety, in fact it's sort of genetic for us), but I feel so alone. Even when I'm talking to my friends or someone, I feel a little better but as soon as I'm alone it feels suffocating, like I can't exist alone anymore.

I don't know, I feel silly for posting this because I'm not asking anything I guess I'm just looking desperately anywhere I can for someone to tell me everything will be okay because I don't believe it.

I'm so tired of feeling hopeless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azul
Hey guys. I'm not 100% why I'm posting this, because I never post on forums and I have nothing to ask, but I feel the urge to 'get out there'.

So I'm 20-years-old and I have terrible anxiety (since I was 16 on and off) which has recently got quite severe, in the way that I'm fighting back panic attacks 3 times a day and constantly feel mentally exhausted.

I'm scared of everything. This September I'm going back to college to do an access course, I'm finally going to move up in the world and do more. But I'm starting to feel I won't make it. My anxiety is getting worse and worse and the doctors can only prescribe medication (which makes me insane! SSRI's messed me up completely, I now have beta blockers but I'm trying to avoid as they help in the moment but make me worse later) or offer me some half-a counselling. I feel like I'm just going to spiral till I'm insane before things will get better. I feel like it's not if I break but when.

Also, I have a boyfriend and a very supportive family (that know about my anxiety, in fact it's sort of genetic for us), but I feel so alone. Even when I'm talking to my friends or someone, I feel a little better but as soon as I'm alone it feels suffocating, like I can't exist alone anymore.

I don't know, I feel silly for posting this because I'm not asking anything I guess I'm just looking desperately anywhere I can for someone to tell me everything will be okay because I don't believe it.

I'm so tired of feeling hopeless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling this way - but, I can tell you that you are not alone because you've pretty much just put into words what I couldn't. I've only recently got diagnosed with anxiety after having a severe panic attack that led me to A&E because I thought I was dying - I feel silly for saying it. After speaking with the nurse, they believe I have been suffering with it for a while but never admitted it or was brave enough to get seen and therefore, it built up.

The feelings you are feeling are common and you are not alone. These feelings come with anxiety, the feeling of impending doom and going 'crazy' or 'insane' are common because it's a result of the anxiety. These are not separate things alongside your anxiety, they are with it and can come and go with it - if that makes sense? I feel like I'm going insane and it terrifies me but then I remember when I'm having a 'good' day those feelings go away and I know, as you've mentioned, you have sever anxiety therefore you may not experience this but you will find a way to cope and fight this.

You are NOT hopeless no matter how much you feel like it and I know that isn't easy to accept - especially from some stranger. However, it's the truth. I can sympathise in the feeling alone despite being surrounded by people that care. I'm single but having loving friends and family but I still feel alone but again, that's a common feeling. In the feeling of feeling alone - you aren't alone because there are so many people that understand that feeling and I know words are easily written or spoken but they are true and if there was some action to prove that to you - I would but then again, none of this is easy.

Always remember this: you are stronger than you think, always. You are never alone, no matter how much you feel you are. Unfortunately, it's a feeling we have to ride or fight with. Sometimes we do one or the other, sometimes we do both.

Stay strong, much love x
Reply 2
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
I've only recently got diagnosed with anxiety after having a severe panic attack that led me to A&E because I thought I was dying - I feel silly for saying it.

Hey thanks for your reply! Was really helpful. I had a similar experience as above, I went to A&E after having a week of acid reflux (which makes me feel I have something stuck in my throat). I felt bad and silly too, I even apologised to the nurse if I'm wasting NHS money haha. But I wasn't sleeping or eating. I've never been 'diagnosed' to be honest, not directly anyway. My GP knows I have heavy anxiety and frequent panic attacks but that's about it.

Anyway, thanks for your help and kindness it really helps me feel better. :smile: - Tommy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It's nice to know that I'll eventually find my correct 'cure' so to speak but also horrible thinking of the long road I have ahead. I've ruled out SSRIs completely, will never give them another chance because I've never felt so terrible and even suicidal. I don't want to feel that ever again.

These beta blockers seem to be okay with me, so hopefully will never have to try benzos.

It's nice to speak out with people about this, it's been driving me crazy. Even today at work I couldn't focus I constantly felt like I can't breathe and then I'm literally paranoid thinking I'm allergic to the air con or that I've inhaled a cleaning product and it's causing a reaction literally a million different scenarios per minute and I hate it.

Thanks for the reply and all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azul
Hey thanks for your reply! Was really helpful. I had a similar experience as above, I went to A&E after having a week of acid reflux (which makes me feel I have something stuck in my throat). I felt bad and silly too, I even apologised to the nurse if I'm wasting NHS money haha. But I wasn't sleeping or eating. I've never been 'diagnosed' to be honest, not directly anyway. My GP knows I have heavy anxiety and frequent panic attacks but that's about it.

Anyway, thanks for your help and kindness it really helps me feel better. :smile: - Tommy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never been diagnosed either directly. I only found out because I spoke with my family and found out my maternal side suffer from a variety of mental health problems. All the doctor on the phone told me was either to get cognitive behaviour therapy or to get given some website links to help me self-help. I already know why I suffer from anxiety and what causes it, and understanding it has done no difference to me whatsoever. I would tell you to try and understand it, but if you already have a support network at home to talk to, I'm guessing you would have identified the causes already. A person on another website with anxiety support told me you have to accept it as a part of you and not as something that is infectious and prohibits your life from being normal, like a terminal disease that leaves you stuck to your bed. I guess in a way like accepting yourself as being homosexual (not that I am, but it's the closet thing I can relate to). And there's something about once you accept it, it gets easy.

No idea if this has helped at all, I'm four years younger than you and only just gone down the whole path of fighting my (social) anxiety. But it's something different than what the others have said, hope it helps Tommy:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest