Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calling all horror/mystery book lovers Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys have any descriptive horror book that you would recommend? I'm thinking of making writing as a hobby because I enjoy writing (got into it recently)and I'm currently writing a short horror story so I want to read as much descriptive horror story as I can so I can get descriptive words for my story.

ReputationRep:
    The first ghost story I ever read is probably the most descriptive I've come across - James Herbert's 'The Secret of Crickley Hall'.
    It definitely leaves nothing to the imagination.

ReputationRep:
    Velocity by Dean Koontz is one of my favourite books ever. It's a mystery novel and got lots of suspense weaved into the text - it could be of some use to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusky Mauve)
    The first ghost story I ever read is probably the most descriptive I've come across - James Herbert's 'The Secret of Crickley Hall'.
    It definitely leaves nothing to the imagination.
    (Original post by BubbleChi)
    Velocity by Dean Koontz is one of my favourite books ever. It's a mystery novel and got lots of suspense weaved into the text - it could be of some use to you?
    Thanks guys ! I'll a look at them tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Stephen King is long on description. If you want a tighter style I recommend A Christmas Tale by Austin Crawley. A good example of good description without wasting words. I've pre-ordered his newest book on the basis of his writing style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eriasu)
    Do you guys have any descriptive horror book that you would recommend? I'm thinking of making writing as a hobby because I enjoy writing (got into it recently)and I'm currently writing a short horror story so I want to read as much descriptive horror story as I can so I can get descriptive words for my story.
    Anything H.P. Lovecraft would appear to fit - his styling is amazing, especially "mansion of madness" and "call of Cthlulu"

ReputationRep:
    Shirley Jackson, HP Lovecraft (as above) and Victorian ghost tales (Henry James, MR James, Sheridan Le Fanu etc etc)

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried working with the Descriptosaurus by Alison Wilcox (general Descriptosaurus and thematic ones)? The books are actually made for supporting creative writing for school children (ages 8 - 14) and their teachers, but it can be a great help for any (starting) writer. The books are full useful vocabulary and phrases, tips for describing the scenery and building tension etc. If you look them up on Amazon (or some other online book shop), you can look at the first chapters.

Are you a student in Sixth Form? I am currently writing a fantasy novel that is partly set in Wales, and I'm desperately trying to gather information about Y12. It's not easy, as I'm living in Belgium. Maybe you could help me out? I only have some very easy questions (about school and student life)

ReputationRep:
    I love classic horror - Dracula, Frankenstein, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, anything by Poe

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.