Turn on thread page Beta

Cash control in back office? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a week of work experience this summer and have just been told that I've been assigned to the cash control team in back office. It's at a corporate/investment bank. What sort of things should I expect to be doing? I can't find much on Google, sorry

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Which bank?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rastaa)
    I have a week of work experience this summer and have just been told that I've been assigned to the cash control team in back office. It's at a corporate/investment bank. What sort of things should I expect to be doing? I can't find much on Google, sorry

thanks
    Cash control is essentially monitoring and processing all the receipts and payments for the bank. (Incoming and outgoing cash)

As you can imagine there is thousands of cash transactions at any given time.
    Cash will most likely be coming through the 'SWIFT' network. When cash is received from a counter party into the banks account it will have a 'SWIFT message', the SWIFT message will provide details on where the funds originated and the purpose of the funds.

Cash control essentially allocate that cash to different areas of the business (e.g FX, derivatives, asset management etc.). Its quite important that the this is done as the cash needs to be reflected on the clients account.

It is also related to liquidity and a main part of the job is ensuring you have enough cash in a particular account/currency to ensure you don't 'fail' a payment. This is done by managing the expected receipts of cash and the payments you need to make.

The last part of cash control is to do with compliance and risk. This is basically to make sure the bank is not paying or receiving any cash from dodgy individuals .
    Also complying with Office of Foreign Assets Control sanctions (so no trading with Iran, North Korea and Russia).

I just wrote this up very quickly, let me know if you have any questions about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knighton)
    Cash control is essentially monitoring and processing all the receipts and payments for the bank. (Incoming and outgoing cash)

As you can imagine there is thousands of cash transactions at any given time.
    Cash will most likely be coming through the 'SWIFT' network. When cash is received from a counter party into the banks account it will have a 'SWIFT message', the SWIFT message will provide details on where the funds originated and the purpose of the funds.

Cash control essentially allocate that cash to different areas of the business (e.g FX, derivatives, asset management etc.). Its quite important that the this is done as the cash needs to be reflected on the clients account.

It is also related to liquidity and a main part of the job is ensuring you have enough cash in a particular account/currency to ensure you don't 'fail' a payment. This is done by managing the expected receipts of cash and the payments you need to make.

The last part of cash control is to do with compliance and risk. This is basically to make sure the bank is not paying or receiving any cash from dodgy individuals .
    Also complying with Office of Foreign Assets Control sanctions (so no trading with Iran, North Korea and Russia).

I just wrote this up very quickly, let me know if you have any questions about it.
    Thank you so much! This was perfect

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.