Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I was stupid enough to go and get my nose pierced after I got employed on Sunday at McDonald's and my first shift starts tomorrow. I got it pierced with a flesh coloured stud which doesn't look that noticeable...

I was just wondering if there is anyone who works at McDonalds who can give me insight to the approach I may get if it's noticed? It's a fresh piercing so I won't be taking it out, could I just put a round blue plaster over it if worse comes to worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YeoniSmol)
    Hi all,

I was stupid enough to go and get my nose pierced after I got employed on Sunday at McDonald's and my first shift starts tomorrow. I got it pierced with a flesh coloured stud which doesn't look that noticeable...

I was just wondering if there is anyone who works at McDonalds who can give me insight to the approach I may get if it's noticed? It's a freh piercing so I won't be taking it out, could I just put a round blue plaster over it if worse comes to worse?
    No. You are not allowed to have a nose piercing, end of story. They will make you take it out. If you refuse, you won't be working there anymore. It doesnt matter how noticeable it looks, its a food safety hazard.

I have worked at McDonald's and working at KFC now, if you don't take out your piercings / refuse to wash off your lipstick or whatever, you are gone.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just show up 10mins before your shift starts and get on with it as if your piercing is a non-issue. If you're told to take it off, then you'll have to do so. You aren't gonna get fired on your very first day unless you give them no choice.

About 8 or 9 years ago, this was never an issue. I was working part-time at KFC back then and in high school. No one really cared or bothered to say anything about tattoos, piercings, makeup etc. same at McDonalds. In fact nowadays I still see some of the staff like this, but not entirely sure how much has changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    No. You are not allowed to have a nose piercing, end of story. They will make you take it out. If you refuse, you won't be working there anymore. It doesnt matter how noticeable it looks, its a food safety hazard.

I have worked at McDonald's and working at KFC now, if you don't take out your piercings / refuse to wash off your lipstick or whatever, you are gone.
    I guess I was expecting that kind of response! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I have seen people in mcdonalds with nose,ear,lip,eyebrow piercings so idk if they care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    I have seen people in mcdonalds with nose,ear,lip,eyebrow piercings so idk if they care.
    In your imagination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    In fact nowadays I still see some of the staff like this, but not entirely sure how much has changed.
    Yeah I have seen the odd few with piercings in, although barely noticeable - I think this is where my confusion has stemmed from. If I have to take it out then it is what it is I guess (although a waste of £25, but I can't choose that over my job)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    In your imagination.
    no? why would I make that up?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by YeoniSmol)
    Yeah I have seen the odd few with piercings in, although barely noticeable - I think this is where my confusion has stemmed from. If I have to take it out then it is what it is I guess (although a waste of £25, but I can't choose that over my job)
    What you could try and do is get friendly with them and eventually ask if a barely noticeable piercing is okay (probably the answer will be no, because there are inspections, mystery shoppers etc.). There's like this mini-culture in every branch, or at least that's how it used to be. I had some awesome team leaders and managers, and some not so nice ones... depending on who it was, we had free reign to do what we wanted (including the food... oh man, best part!).

In any case, it's only part-time right? And you'll only be doing a certain amount of hours, so outside of work you can carry on wearing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    What you could try and do is get friendly with them and eventually ask if a barely noticeable piercing is okay (probably the answer will be no, because there are inspections, mystery shoppers etc.). There's like this mini-culture in every branch, or at least that's how it used to be. I had some awesome team leaders and managers, and some not so nice ones... depending on who it was, we had free reign to do what we wanted (including the food... oh man, best part!).

In any case, it's only part-time right? And you'll only be doing a certain amount of hours, so outside of work you can carry on wearing it.
    Haha, seems so! My boss is actually quite friendly (hopefully I'll gain some brownie points there) I was just hoping to get away with it as I am very young just coming out of school, and I seemed to have made a good impression after being hired on the spot, but obviously these are assumptions that can only be proven on the dreaded first shift.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.