Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

A month or so ago I received the reading list for my course, but it was very vague in terms of what was important to have now and what wasnt. Essentially, it was the reading list for all the modules Ill be taking in the first year. Theres probably around thirty books listed.

But what do I actually need to get now? Ive bought five of the more general ones, and Ill probably read through them before I start uni, but beyond that...? Should I wait until I start before buying any more?

ReputationRep:
    which course did u choose and which uni??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polarbear)
    But what do I actually need to get now? Ive bought five of the more general ones, and Ill probably read through them before I start uni, but beyond that...? Should I wait until I start before buying any more?
    I did no reading before coming to uni, except for an A-level psychology revision guide (because I hadn't done any psychology before) over summer. In the first year the extra reading isn't too important, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Good on you for getting those books sorted though, it's useful to have some of your own for when they're all out of the library over exam time.

I would wait until your term starts before buying any more though - you might be told in lectures which is the best book to have (from a longer reading list) or be able to talk to your tutor about which is the most useful. And you'll be able to see what topics you find harder and therefore need extra reading for. Also, have a look at what's in the library. If they have a hundred copies or so of one of the books on the list, then you don't need to buy it.

(Original post by polarbear)
    Hey!

A month or so ago I received the reading list for my course, but it was very vague in terms of what was important to have now and what wasnt. Essentially, it was the reading list for all the modules Ill be taking in the first year. Theres probably around thirty books listed.

DONT BUY ANYMORE!!

Everyone rushes out after the first lecture down to blackwells to buy the major books and in reality you probably wont need them very much. What subject is it? For most of the arts subjects the hallward library short loan will be fine as long as you get your head around the system.

I bought about 6 books in my first week and 2 in my second term, you really dont need them for first year.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the massive silence...Id forgotten about this thread!

Cheers for all the advice. Ill definitely be sticking just the the books Ive got so far, I think. Ive got a bit more money hanging around for my books, so Ill use that when I actually get there... or spend it on booze. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.