Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WIll my mental health improve if I find an accepting bunch of mates and success? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Diagnosed with severe enduring mental ill health.

But I've been unloved and unsuccessful for 12 years and this must have an impact right?

ReputationRep:
    I honestly believe that if you want your mental health to improve, you have to love and accept yourself for who YOU ARE first, before seeking validation from others.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Other people can help, but you have to be your biggest helper. Learn how to be comfortable with yourself and your mental health should improve. Accepting friends can also help. Success, not necessarily. Success isn't the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    A support network helps but self esteem definitely comes from within.

I recommend counselling. This in turn can make it easier to get out there and meet people.

Wishing you well.

ReputationRep:
    My answer to you is yes to both: your mental health will most likely improve if you a) succeed b) find an accepting bunch of colleagues. In fact, one complements the other. When you are winning people love hanging out with you and you feel confident and stable enough to be adventurous and social. I know people with a difficult history of mental illness who are winners today, and they are winning big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvr8AjT0aD0

"May you be favored with the future of your choice; may you live to see a thousand reasons to rejoice!"

ReputationRep:
    Try some form of therapy. Success is great, but it doesn't help if you don't love yourself first.

ReputationRep:
    You aren't going to find people who accept you completely. You need to find confidence and belief in your own. Don't put your happiness in other people. Take your medication, find interests you enjoy, and work towards success. People will come and go. Trust me on this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.