Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I hope I am not that off topic but I would like some advice regarding a career option.
    I am a graduate Engineer student and I manage to get an offer from a company in Brighton , so I am thinking about moving there. The salary although is relatively low (20k- which means I think 1300+ per month) and I am not sure if it is enough to live in Brighton. I am struggling while calculating monthly costs and I hope I could hear your opinion.
    What is the percentage of the monthly salary I should use on rent ?
    Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    You could probably find a room in a shared flat or house for around £500 a month excluding bills. Looking on sites like Spareroom and Gumtree can help you work out how much you'll roughly pay for places depending on quality and area. They're also good for then ACTUALLY finding a room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsb7)
    Hello everyone,
    I hope I am not that off topic but I would like some advice regarding a career option.
    I am a graduate Engineer student and I manage to get an offer from a company in Brighton , so I am thinking about moving there. The salary although is relatively low (20k- which means I think 1300+ per month) and I am not sure if it is enough to live in Brighton. I am struggling while calculating monthly costs and I hope I could hear your opinion.
    What is the percentage of the monthly salary I should use on rent ?
    Thank you in advance!
    Monthly, you should be taking home £1,397.27ish
    http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

I am sure it should be possible to find a house share for less than £500 a month and if you cycle to work you will save even more. Great city Brighton. Do it!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I live in Brighton (working adult) so drop me a message if i can help.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your answers.
    I am searching for a house (around 500-600) but I was adviced to view before I take anything.
    I will not be able to do that as I will arrive only 1-2 days before I start working. Should I rent something for a month
    and then take it from there ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsb7)
    Thanks a lot for your answers.
    I am searching for a house (around 500-600) but I was adviced to view before I take anything.
    I will not be able to do that as I will arrive only 1-2 days before I start working. Should I rent something for a month
    and then take it from there ?
    Yeah thats probably a good idea.you dont want to commit to a long period and find out its a dump or horrible people!

Will you be driving in brighton or using public transport? If the latter, good to be near a goood route....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah_Brighton)
    Yeah thats probably a good idea.you dont want to commit to a long period and find out its a dump or horrible people!

Will you be driving in brighton or using public transport? If the latter, good to be near a goood route....
    I am afraid of staying in a hostel during the first week. I will probably stay though airbnb. Is 1 week enough to find a place ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently trying to get a 1 bed flat here with my partner, I earn similar to you in basic but the majority of my income is commission which credit reference agencies REFUSE to take into consideration. Also being as I seem to lack a silver spoon in my rectum so don't have a guarantor within working age or 7 grand lying around in my account it seems within a month I'll be sent back to the sticks before long.

Yeah the housing situation in Brighton really sucks and you basically have to be prepared to take a flat on the strength of photos or it will be gone before you get a chance to see it.

You could of course be a jobless, penniless junkie with a record....then they'd give you a flat tomorrow.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.