Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been struggling to choose between offers for UK universities (Bristol, Durham and King's College) for a while now and just found out last night I got accepted to study an MSc in Political Science at Leiden University which I'm now heavily considering.

The only major downside is that this speeds up my timetable considerably and I need to start getting accommodation sorted asap but, since everyone says accommodation in Leiden is difficult to come by, I'm wondering how feasible is it to live in Amsterdam or The Hague and commute to Leiden for classes? Are trains expensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddavdd)
    I've been struggling to choose between offers for UK universities (Bristol, Durham and King's College) for a while now and just found out last night I got accepted to study an MSc in Political Science at Leiden University which I'm now heavily considering.

The only major downside is that this speeds up my timetable considerably and I need to start getting accommodation sorted asap but, since everyone says accommodation in Leiden is difficult to come by, I'm wondering how feasible is it to live in Amsterdam or The Hague and commute to Leiden for classes? Are trains expensive?
    Hi there, I wouldn't give up on housing in Leiden! It is more difficult than in a big city of course but still stuff available. If you go on FB there is a group called Leiden Housing where people post about rooms all the time. It is how I found my place. I posted a little bio with my desires and requirements and got 4 or 5 messages within a few days. If you get on it now I think you would have some luck.

There are of course places in the Hague and Amsterdam. It would be much easier to commute from the Hague, as it is only 10 mins by train compared to 35 or so from A'dam. If you do go for the commuting option then I would recommend immediately buying the discount card for the trains which is like €50 and gives you 40% off travel in off-peak times. Then your return to the Hague would be like a fiver.

I would certainly first try to find something in Leiden as socially it is a bit easier when you live in the same place, then you can also bike, making travel essentially free!

Feel free to ask if you have more questions

(Original post by ddavdd)
    I'm wondering how feasible is it to live in Amsterdam or The Hague and commute to Leiden for classes? Are trains expensive?
    If you live in the Randstad area then it's very feasible.

ReputationRep:
    I would seriously recommend you take the plunge and and go to Leiden. I just finished at Utrecht and had a great year with tons of opportunities I wouldn't have had on a masters in the UK. Housing is tough but doable.Trains are expensive so I wouldn't recommend commuting. I lived just outside Utrecht and got the bus daily and it made me feel a little detached from everyone so try to stay central so you can settle in easier. Send me a message if you decide to make the move and I can answer any other questions you have. I have a few friends who went to Leiden.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.